PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild?

spetz
20-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey guys,

I am rebuilding a Mitsubishi 6A12 (2.0 V6 MIVEC from an FTO) at the moment and wa wondering what I should get done while it's apart?

The heads have already been serviced and ported
And the bottom end so far is just getting cleaned, balanced to 1 gram tolerance and rebuilt.

Is there anything to do? What is knife edging of the crank, or counter balancing it? is this needed as it's a V6?

**Ghost**
20-10-2005, 01:50 AM
how many Ks have u done? i'm looking at rebuilding soon too and found that if ur going to do it u might as well do it all to save time and labor

change ur pistons? rods (not really required but mebbe), bearings, thrust washers, head bolts, rod bolts, water pump, and timing belt obviously... new oil pump?

spetz
20-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Yeah all of that will be changed but not the pistons and conrods

I have a 6A12 in my car already and this is a second one that is getting rebuilt for me (I had engine conversion done, and the engine I have now has some problem, and I am getting a new one under warranty).

Harris engineering in sydney is doing it

jimmeh
20-10-2005, 04:39 AM
new oil pump?
i recommend you replace the oil pump everytime you open a motor.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Flanderz
21-10-2005, 11:01 AM
depends on how many kms then engine has done??? did you get the valves re ground when the service was done?? or mabey even a new set of valves, springs & retainers, The engine will run alot smother, Knife edging the crank is not recomemded as this grinds down the cranshaft counterweights to a knife edged shape to reduce rotational mass & increase HP through effieciencey, but the weights are there to keep ur engine stable at high rpm & this is only recomended for high performance engines. get ur cams checked out for wear & new seals & o-rings for everything. New bearings could do a good job as well. r u going to do anything performance wise to the engine??? my mate had an FTO, use to go alright, u can hear that mivec roar lol, doesn't compare to a honda tho.

spetz
03-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Sorry lost track of this topic

The mods which will be going onto the engine are:
Oversize TB, TB insulator block, machine plenum
extrude hone intake runners, intake manifold insulator block
Ported & polished head
HPC coated race extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" mandrel exhaust
FSE FPR, apexi power intake filter + CAI
GReddy E-manage with ignition & injector harness
Fully balanced, shot peened conrods

And new everything else.
I am thinking/wanting to do cams on it too at a later stage but being a V6 = 4 MIVEC cams, 24 valve springs, 4 cam gears etc, so this is a $3000 job...

Anything else I should take care of/get done?