PDA

View Full Version : DC5R whiteline rear sway question

FunkyR
20-10-2005, 01:49 PM
What does a sway bar do?

Will a type R one fit on the Type S?

aozora
20-10-2005, 03:10 PM
The advantage of having adjustable swaybars is that you can tune the amount of over/understeer on the car.
For example if you have too much understeer, increase the thickness of the rear by moving the bolt further to the ends of the swaybar and that will induce oversteer. Or even if your rear swaybar is set to the max, lower the stiffness (initial pull) of the front and that will help with giving more oversteer. And vice versa.
Ideally though you should be aiming for a even balance between front and rear. Although I personally like a slight amount of oversteer as it tucks in better I find :)

Oh and usually you can ask them for pictures of the swaybar installed then look at the design and see if it has good enough clearance for your exhaust? Cause I'm guessing twinloop would be mounted/positioned slightly differently or take up more space somewhere?

wynode
20-10-2005, 04:11 PM
For example if you have too much understeer, increase the thickness of the rear by moving the bolt further to the ends of the swaybar and that will induce oversteer.

1. To increase the effective thickness of an adjustable swaybar you need to move the bolt away from the end or the arm.
2. Moving between the soft and hard setting of the swaybar isn't like day vs night and your car won't gor from understeer to oversteer.

aozora
20-10-2005, 08:52 PM
1. To increase the effective thickness of an adjustable swaybar you need to move the bolt away from the end or the arm.
2. Moving between the soft and hard setting of the swaybar isn't like day vs night and your car won't gor from understeer to oversteer.

Whoops first point you're right, I always get them mixed up... whichever hole lines up straighter or closer to the original mounting point... ie. if the outer hole makes the swaybar link bend slightly, that would be the softer setting, however the inner hole would make the swaybar link "react" quicker when in use. Preload in a way... atleast that's what I figured, I could be wrong. In the pic, the swaybar is set to the softest setting (S15 btw) as the swaybar links are slightly bent towards the rear of the car, so initial "pull" of the swaybar won't come in until later when more load is put onto it (Atleast that's how I see it...? Care to correct me there too? :) ).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/myaku/s15rearsway.jpg

But... induce means to bring about or have more of, so err night and day... umm what?
Obviously just turning out of your driveway with rear hard setting you're not going to spin out. The difference isn't enormous but it's easily noticeable if you push your car to it's limits or know it's general handling behaviour in the first place.

Anyway just to give an example, even then when I change my rear swaybar link (without touching the front), the feeling on softest setting is quite dull and I can't feel much at the limit, oversteer is very very minimal or pretty much non-existant and personally feels scary, however, put it to the hardest setting and I can feel the rear skip or "lean out" more on the limit... and if I want to, I can get the rear out a bit with mostly just steering input... (even more so in the wet ;) ) so maybe you're not driving hard enough? :)
It will however differ from car to car obviously so what I say for my car could mean jack all for yours especially considering drive train differences.

FunkyR
20-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Mmm thanks for the explanation of what they do (I already know that)... ;)

Can anyone answer my question?

aozora
20-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Also is it worth getting a front adjustable too? the stock is 23mm and the whiteline is 22-24 -> but maybe the stiffness of the stock 23 is going to be different than the whiteline 22/24?

= Read my first post... and if you knew what all that means, you wouldn't be asking the second question in the first place...