PDA

View Full Version : medium service @ hannys....

bennjamin
12-09-2003, 05:15 PM
hurro all....just at query...

MY EG5 , whic i got Feb this year, has done almost 6000kms...i have changed the oil , filter, sparks, Fuel filter , Distributor....but i am guessing it still needs a professional service.

Wynode...im expecting u to jump the gun here :P

HOW much or which service should i get ? the above mentioned stuff has been replaced, so what else besides fluids would Robert change... I know the head needs a new gasket - old one wasnt repleced b4, more so resealed -
So , how much doe do i need ?

Cheers, Ben

Setanta
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
How many kms total does it have on it? That can affect a number of things, but if you don't know when the timing belt was last changed, that'd be the top of my priorities :)

bennjamin
12-09-2003, 05:29 PM
it has 132,700kms in total....before i got it the previous owner replace the spark plugs, leads, tappet cover seal , gasket , oil and oil filter. basic service. But in closer inspection , some of parts were aftermarket , so i have changed everything back to original honda accesory.

Possibly ECT or O2 sensor might need to be replaced too - aftermarket i think.

but...we'l c. i just need to know how much money i need...been low as of recent with the distributor and stuff playin up :(

Ben

wynode
12-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Ben, the best bet is to take it to Hannys and tell Robert/Peter what you have told us here.

Even if you say "I want a major service" he will only change things that require changing (and won't change them just for the sake of it).

Looks like you have done the basics, so the only other thing to worry about is the timing belt. If it hasn't been changed, then have it changed.

As for the head gasket, you shouldn't need to change this unless you are loosing oil or coolant.

Maybe also have a radiator flush, brake line flush, and clutch fluid flush done (not too hard to do it yourself).

HTH.

joneblaze
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
i went to hanny's bout month ago for timing belt and water pump change. couldn't believe how cheap it was... especially for the timing belt... :)

bennjamin
12-09-2003, 06:43 PM
cheers all for the replies...

yeah Wynode , i can really feel that the car needs a service...cold start is never friendly...idling is a little off...

i have flushed the brake fluid - its quite easy to flsuh the radiator and clutch - got a friend who'll do it all for free :)

I am loosing a small amount of oil thru the head gasket - every week when i check my level, it is a tiny tiny bit down -

Jon bro , how much doid the timing belt cost all up ?

Cheers all ! Ben

BTW, i changed the fuel filter over - no difference...but atleast its a new Honda item this time :)

wynode
12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Hmmm......doesn't sound good.

Take it to Hannys. The Si is a good car that shouldn't be in the pain you are describing :oops:

joneblaze
12-09-2003, 07:13 PM
cheers all for the replies...

yeah Wynode , i can really feel that the car needs a service...cold start is never friendly...idling is a little off...

i have flushed the brake fluid - its quite easy to flsuh the radiator and clutch - got a friend who'll do it all for free :)

I am loosing a small amount of oil thru the head gasket - every week when i check my level, it is a tiny tiny bit down -

Jon bro , how much doid the timing belt cost all up ?

Cheers all ! Ben

BTW, i changed the fuel filter over - no difference...but atleast its a new Honda item this time :)

benny sent u pm.

INFLYT
14-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know how to identify a timing belt that is in need of replacing? Cause there seem's to be a lot of car's that get sold off just before this major work is required, and they don't make new owner's aware that this is the case, to avoid spending.

wynode
14-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Have a look at the belt and you should be able to see the markings on it. I'm guessing just see if the markings look old or not.

Otherwise take it to a mechanic, and they should be able to tell if belt teeth look worn or not.

Setanta
14-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know how to identify a timing belt that is in need of replacing?

If you are ever in doubt when you've just purchased the car - replace it. I think Robbie charged me 200 including the cost of the belt - but I'd rather pay that than the costs incurred if it slipped teeth and tried to put the valves in the same position as the pistons.

This is one of the times you don't think about money :)

INFLYT
14-09-2003, 12:15 PM
$200, bargain!

tinkerbell
14-09-2003, 08:22 PM
it is unlikely that you are losing oil thorugh the HG...

does it blow smoke at all?

it is probably past the the rings if anything...

the HG should not need "resealing"

bennjamin
14-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Tinkerbell..the only reason i suggest that the HG may need replacing, as the sealant is melted into the spark plug gaps ( i found out when i went to change the spark plugs) - it seems that the last mechanic just re-sealed the gasket?!?

I only blow smoke at high load/rpms ( see drag racing :P )which i guess is pretty normal...better rich than lean :)

Ill c wat Robert says on Thursday .

Cheers all ! Ben.

wynode
14-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Tinkerbell..the only reason i suggest that the HG may need replacing, as the sealant is melted into the spark plug gaps ( i found out when i went to change the spark plugs) - it seems that the last mechanic just re-sealed the gasket?!?

That sounds like your O-rings around the sparkplugs.

To change this, its a matter of taking the rocker cover off and changing the rings. I had this done on my si awhile back as number 2 cylinder O-ring was leaking some oil.

I agree, I very much doubt you are loosing oil through your HG.

crx_16x
15-09-2003, 12:53 AM
ahhh, that maybe why there is a little bit of oil on my number 3 sparkplug lead boot thing. i thought it was h/g also. thanks

tinkerbell
15-09-2003, 08:56 AM

now that is funny!!!

maybe we need a list of confusable terms...

also - if it is blowing oil smoke at high rpm, it means you will be lean as there will be oil in the air/fuel mixture thus lower octane and perhaps detonation...

your rings are probably a bit worn, you should swap in a B18C as soon as possible ;)

bennjamin
15-09-2003, 09:51 PM
your rings are probably a bit worn, you should swap in a B18C as soon as possible :wink:

Amen to that Tinkerbell :D

Now i just need to convince z10 to drive his JDM iTR thru the old pacific again...do the Shingo on him , and steal his engine off his written off car ! :twisted:

I wish.

8)