PDA

View Full Version : Timing Lights

wynode
23-10-2005, 03:23 PM
What do you guys use and how much did it set you back?

Just wondering whether its worth spending some $$ for something apart from a basic gun.

Weq
23-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I got a basic gun. Its basic. yeh. flash flash on each pulse. I think its good to go with a better version hear if u plan on using it alot. I know snapon has a sweet one which allows advacing and retarding, which is good to get an accurate measurement of the current timing, instead of just lining it up at stock.

wynode
23-10-2005, 05:07 PM
The basic ones are pretty cheap but is it worth dishing out the $$$ for one that lets you read advance/retartd?

Samo
23-10-2005, 05:27 PM
u just point it at the crank pulley and see the timing ..
and u change the position of the dizzy to advance or retart the timing

wynode
23-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks but that doesn't really help :rolleyes:

Samo
23-10-2005, 05:41 PM
wat i was tryna say is dat u the gun's only there to do the reading ..
u change the advance/retard timing from the dizzy ..
so any decent guns does the same job :)

ECU-MAN
23-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I just use a $50 one, came with a compression tester and a dwell angle meter :)

Iv had it for many many many years and has been good, as much as I would of liked to get that nice snap on one, at the time ( as an aprentice ) its all I could afford

works great still :)

bennjamin
23-10-2005, 09:25 PM
brand ? more info John eh ?

ECU-MAN
23-10-2005, 09:37 PM
optilux

magnetic pick up style

I went ouside just for you Ben, to find out :)

Paul1985
23-10-2005, 10:27 PM
i just went into repco (i checked super cheap and bursons aswell) repco had them for around $70, about $10 cheaper than the others.. they had 2 types.. one which u need to put batteries in and one which u run off the car battery..

i got the one u run off the car battery as it would just shit me if i went to use the other and had no batteries lol

it works fine and how often do u really use a timing light?? I think one of these types would be fine unless u work on cars everyday.. and even if u do as ECU-MAN said, these types are still fine for that

wynode
24-10-2005, 08:17 AM
For a good article on why you should get a GOOD timing light see
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/vii_10-lights-1.html

real good tech article on timimg lights good and bad hook ups and how to use.

Nice article however it is sourced from Autotronic Controls Corp. (MSD) and recommends only the Autotronic product :rolleyes:

Autotronic Controls Corporation (makers of the MSD ignition systems) recognized this problem and began to test a rather large number of available timing lights. Through this testing, they decided to develop their own timing light (P/N 8990). Additionally, this testing also revealed that an older model Sears Craftsman Timing Light (P/N A-2134) was considered very reliable and accurate. Both lights are stable and accurate from zero to 8,000 RPM and because of this, they are well suited to a modified (as in “high performance super rod”) application.

string
24-10-2005, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, as long as it's inductive, and is a white light (timing marks are in red, and with a red light its... impossible to see) then it's all good...

No idea how much mine was it was a gift but it fits my criteria and certainly does the job!

I don't feel the need for advancing/retard on the gun, since it's probably best if the timing is set to stock, and then modified by tuning, not by hand.