PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/Clutch Noise

Linkin
23-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a DC2 Vtir and there has been this strange noise coming from the gearbox.. it has been getting louder over the past few months. it kinda sounds like fast tapping sound coming from the clutch/gearbox area, the noise stops when i push the clutch in and comes back when i release it and stays on and it also creates a vibrating through the car. The noise is there at idle and in neutral aswell.. the noise only stops when i push the clutch in. please help !!

Zilli
23-10-2005, 05:58 PM
do u have to push the clutch in all the way or just take the slack out of it?

my dc2r does the same and i was told its the lave cylinder, or the thrust bearing,
even thought the sound annys me at times im not gonna bother until i get
the clutch replaced,

mind u mine doesnt cuse a vibration throughout the car, just a feint mechnical
kinda squeaking sound

a lot of people here will tell u its a common prob though

civiceg9
23-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I have the same problem, I just bleed the clutch and adjust the clutch pedal freeplay to get rid of some of the slack.

quangsta
23-10-2005, 07:42 PM
my guess is its the input shaft bearing...or the input shaft itself...cant remember whether mine was a fast taping sound but it was constant and got louder as the days went on....and stopped only wen i clutched in so yerr...supposedly a comon problem too....i got quoted 900 bux just to fix the input shaft....but decided to pull mine apart first (with a mechanic of course) to diagnosis it, found that it was just the input shaft bearing, so a full set of bearings from japan was on order costing me 800 bux....fix the prob though so yerr...depending on how long and how hard u drove it with the problem could only be bearings....if i had the chance to do it again i would have looked for an itr gearbox and replaced it altogether...thats only because i changed all the bearing with OEM stuff which cost heaps so yerr...findout the problem and work out what u wonna do

gL

Linkin
23-10-2005, 08:05 PM
umm i pretty much have to push the clutch completely in for the sound to stop and i just had my clutch replaced.

ECU-MAN
23-10-2005, 09:02 PM
hmmm

sounds like ISB to me.

SKREMN
23-10-2005, 09:03 PM
did they replace any bearings?

Linkin
23-10-2005, 09:10 PM
yes.. just the thrust bearing.

JDMTMY
29-10-2005, 12:02 PM
yO....my civic has been having the same problems...took the car to the mechanic n he said it could be either gearbox,clutch, and/or input shaft.....im gona have to take it to mechanic n leave it wit him to findout what the exact problem is.....but if it is any of these problems....how much will i be lookin at to fix problem?

sorry to hijack thread

SiR JDM
30-10-2005, 04:15 PM
The problem you describe sounds identical to the problem a mate had on his dc2 ITR. I drove the car frequently so I was experienced to the noise too.

It was infact the ISB and upon repalcing it the gearbox noise was inexistant. Definatly sounds like an ISB to me.

SiR JDM
31-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Just had another think about this one and it could possibly be your trust bearing, unfortunatly you'll still need to drop the box to inspect/replace this but its cheaper than ISB. But, my money is still on the ISB. Let us know how it goes.

quangsta
01-11-2005, 11:15 AM
if it was the gearbox it will make a continuous sound whether u clutch in or not, ive never heard of a clutch making that much noise before so i dont know....but the input shaft will make noise if its engaged(when u let go of your clutch)...i personally had a noise coming from my car so my money is still on the ISB or the IS aswell....the ISB goes first and if u continue to drive it the IS will eventually go aswell.

either way your mechanic is stil gotta take out the tranny so yerr...find out the problem and tell us and how much his quoting u too someone will be able to give u an idea of what to do...

supposedly this is a common problem with hondas as quoted by a honda wrecker and i found this to be the case as when i was checking out dc2's for a friend 2/5 cars had the ISB noise that i had....

wynode
01-11-2005, 03:25 PM
1 vote for ISB from me too.

How'd you go Linkin?

medo
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
got the same problem with my dc2..
would it be cheaper to just replace the box (i've been quoted $900 for a box thats from a dc2 with less than 80,000k's.. or just the ISB ?

riceball
01-11-2005, 07:24 PM
wouldn't know what the f*#k ISB is... but my guess is that the noise is coming from your "throw out bearing" thats associated with your clutch. could be worn out. my mechanics told me this today after i handed in my car to get a new clutch replaced. hope thats your problem cause its one that doesnt empty out your pockets.

riceball
01-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Oooo ISB is input shaft bearing... is that the same as the throw out bearing...? or am i just out of line.

ECU-MAN
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
ISB is different from the Thrust bearing

ISB is inside the gearbox

riceball
01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
cheers ECU MAN, :thumbsup:

Linkin
01-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the responces and help guys... I took it too my mechanic it's been narrowed down to bein the ISB.. i'll post back soon with a price of work..bearings costs... etc

quangsta
01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
got the same problem with my dc2..
would it be cheaper to just replace the box (i've been quoted $900 for a box thats from a dc2 with less than 80,000k's.. or just the ISB ?

if u got quoted 900 for a box just make sure u get a mech to check out all the bearings, seal, gears etc as theres reason y people take them out but yerr most of them are recondition which isnt too bad if done properly...

just as a comparison ISB to get fix is about 900 bux...

quangsta
01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
my clutch on my b16 has issues too it sounds like turbo and whines but if clutch is pushed in it sounds normal... whats this probelm?

dont know about whining??...buh it is very noticeable....ISB is the input shaft bearing pretty much the bearing which holds the input shaft straight at the same time allowing it to spin....wen u push the clutch in it disengages the input shaft so the car free revs and u can change gears....let go of the clutch and it engages the inputshaft, with a broken bearing the input shaft moves more then it should..making noise which u hear quite distinctly

Linkin
03-11-2005, 03:06 PM
If the bearing was so worn/broken that it's not even holding the input shaft properly could this cause the car to... uhhh... shake on the road... most noticebly under load ??. For eg. forth goin 40km up a slight incline on the road ?

wynode
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
is the ISB is broken chances are the pieces + ball bearings from the ISB would have caused damaged to the rest of your gearbox already!

lspower
04-11-2005, 10:34 AM
mine LS gear box is like that , you can hear the noises on 1,2nd and 3rd when take offs. But I am waiting for another three years at least untill the gear box stuffed up and I will get a recon one for 850$ from conrod spares.

What would be the worst scenario? If I kept driving...would the gearbox still working except more noise??

wynode
04-11-2005, 01:14 PM
lspower, see my post above.

NOise will get worse and worse till the ISB breaks apart.

Stabo
23-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I have a DC2 Vti-R and i have a bit of noise which i think is due to the gear box too..

This is almost worth a sticky, it seems to be a pretty common problem :(

Looks like rebuilds all round!

lspower
24-11-2005, 05:09 AM
thanks all. I am waiting to my gear box completely breaks down either wthin this 3 years. before or not. And I will install a itr gear box for arond 2000$ fitted(including the hydro conversion).

24-11-2005, 06:27 AM
It's 100% the input shaft bearing, May not just be the front onr though.. change the rear at the same time..

shebangs
24-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I had a similar noise in mine.

Turns out the heatshield on the headers were cracked which was causing it. Mine was more of a vibration/sound which I initially thought was from my gearbox aswell as it exhibited the same things you mentioned (clutch in stopped, clutch out starts)

My Mechanic found it, broke off that part of the heatshield and now she's sweet :)