PDA

View Full Version : Screamer pipe on a Vtec???

NayNay
24-10-2005, 07:21 PM
just curious i herd from a few people that a screamer pipe is possible on a Vtec engine. i dont really believe this because my m8 who is a mechanic said it is virtually impossible. sum1 fill me in. i want one!

locote
24-10-2005, 07:28 PM
whats a screamer pipe????

JDM.Power
24-10-2005, 07:32 PM
a pipe that is connected from a wastegate.
sounds like a jet when boost comes in.

sivic
24-10-2005, 08:16 PM
the exhaust on a vtec engine is no different to any other na engine.
so you cant have a pipe from a non existant wastegate if the engine isnt boosted.
maybe ppl meant an open header?

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
27-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Or does he have a boosted vtec?

NayNay
27-10-2005, 09:20 PM
nah not boosted. ahwellz i guess the guy was talking shit. i bet his engine isnt even vtec, prob just making it up cos he cant afford one! lol

superR
27-10-2005, 09:55 PM
scream pipe on a vtec would sound sick!!!!!! almost as good as a real one on a turbo vtec!

T-onedc2
27-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Just to make it clear there is no screamer pipe without an externally venting wastegate, and there's no wastegate without a turbo.
A wastegate prevents overboost by opening to allow excess gas out of the turbine, this is usually redirected into the exhaust before the cat converter.
A screamer pipe doesn't return gas to the exhaust but extends towards the ground as an open pipe with no muffling, therefore creates a "screaming" sound when the wastegate opens to vent excess gas once max boost is reached. This is illegal due to not being passed through the cat converter and also exceeding NVH levels.
It can be rectified by passing it through a cat converter and a muffler to the rear of the car alongside the rear muffler.

Jase EK
27-10-2005, 11:11 PM
so you cant apply one to a vtec na engine..

T-onedc2
27-10-2005, 11:21 PM
so you cant apply one to a vtec na engine..
no you can't.
turbo = possibility of fitting screamer pipe
na = no possibility
:)

steve
29-10-2005, 05:04 PM
but, you could have a really short exhaust pipe and once on vtec the shear noise would prob be pretty similar to a 'screamer pipe' on a externally wastegated engine.

but then it still wouldn't be a screamer pipe, jus a short exhaust pipe:rolleyes:

bennyBear
30-10-2005, 02:52 AM
but, you could have a really short exhaust pipe and once on vtec the shear noise would prob be pretty similar to a 'screamer pipe' on a externally wastegated engine.

but then it still wouldn't be a screamer pipe, jus a short exhaust pipe:rolleyes:

Vtec performs a different function to boost, it changes the cam profile, not the intake charge so in theory even a short exhaust pipe would just be a loud replication of what you hear in standard trim anyway!!!

string
30-10-2005, 03:49 AM

"On vtec" is going to sound exactally the same as "off vtec" at similar rpm's with open header; Either way it is just stupidly loud.

I decided to drive my car exhaustless to work one day before I could sway the exhaust over... I decided to walk the rest of the week as I felt bad for all other motorists, and anyone on the side of the road. Accelerating as slow as I possibly could, was at least five times as loud as my car is right now at its loudest!

Jase EK
30-10-2005, 04:58 PM
thats stupid

steve
30-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Vtec performs a different function to boost, it changes the cam profile, not the intake charge so in theory even a short exhaust pipe would just be a loud replication of what you hear in standard trim anyway!!!

Ah dude, a wastegate doesn't vent intake charge, thats a blow off valve...
Wastegate vents excess exhaust gas

What i was tryin to get at is, when a vtec engine engages vtec its note changes due to the different cam profile, like you said, ie it due to the more agressive profile it becomes louder than when the normal cam profiles(inlet/exhaust) are actuating the opening and closing of the valves, now if u had no exhaust when it does this it would become VERY fckin loud, almost like the noise from a externally wastegated engine when it opens.

I know these are completly different mechanisms(vtec/wastegate) however they do both instantly and noticably change the sound of the engine that there on when actuated

string
30-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm going to claim that you will not here an audible difference at the Vtec crossover with no exhaust.

There is no instant power increase, you will just hear a continuation of the rediculous noiose.

bennjamin
30-10-2005, 05:40 PM
just curious i herd from a few people that a screamer pipe is possible on a Vtec engine. i dont really believe this because my m8 who is a mechanic said it is virtually impossible. sum1 fill me in. i want one!

just to clarify -

A "screamer" pipe runs off the optional wastegate of a turboed engine.
IT CAN co-incide with the VTEC crossover IF the wastegate was operated on engine revolutions...IF the vtec engine is turboed :)

Thus , It is impossible to have a screamer pipe on a NA VTEC car :)

BTW - im sure it is possible to custom make a flange at the collector or further back of the exhaust which opens up after a certain RPM giving you the SCREAM...

bennyBear
31-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Ah dude, a wastegate doesn't vent intake charge, thats a blow off valve...
Wastegate vents excess exhaust gas

Ooop... My bad, i've really got to start reading my own posts....

string
01-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Technically a wastegate *can* vent intake charge. For example, in positive displacement superchargers where you want to hold a certain boost level.

superR
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
string's right... thats how boost is regulated

ALLMTR996
01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
You are joking what sort of dipshit question is this?
ALLMTR996

DLO01
01-11-2005, 05:21 PM
You are joking what sort of dipshit question is this?
ALLMTR996
Allmtr996, some people don't know as much as you, hence he asked the question. Even though it may be a lame thread. :thumbsup:

ALLMTR996
01-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Allmtr996, some people don't know as much as you, hence he asked the question. Even though it may be a lame thread. :thumbsup:
Yeah but its in the ALLMTR section not the wind section.
Its almost like something that a school kid would ask. :D ALLMTR996

DLO01
01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah but its in the ALLMTR section not the wind section.
Its almost like something that a school kid would ask. :D ALLMTR996
Haa ha... Your a trouble maker & your a goof. :p

ALLMTR996
01-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Haa ha... Your a trouble maker & your a goof. :p
Gee thanks :wave:
ALLMTR996

SKREMN
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Just cracked my headders it shounds like a screamer pipe now
when I hit vtec it gets rediculusly loud
but runs like shit

MoDCoN
24-11-2005, 12:49 PM
"On vtec" is going to sound exactally the same as "off vtec" at similar rpm's with open header; Either way it is just stupidly loud.

I decided to drive my car exhaustless to work one day before I could sway the exhaust over... I decided to walk the rest of the week as I felt bad for all other motorists, and anyone on the side of the road. Accelerating as slow as I possibly could, was at least five times as loud as my car is right now at its loudest!

ouch

i did something similar; i was going to drive into the city in my mums old corolla sh*tbox, (keeping in mind this is before i had any car knowledge....) and the exhaust piping where it meets the headers (what is this part called) disconnected, and so exhaust was scaping directly from the header... bwaaaaAAAAHHH! ah, it was so loud i thought something was majorly wrong. interestingly it didnt give me any noticeable difference in power... i then turned back home called my dad, worked out what had happened and tried to put it back on...

Limbo
13-12-2005, 03:54 PM
loss of back pressure.
NA cars need the pressure from the piping. That's y when you have leaks it actually looses power. ALso why it is important to get the pipe size correct

DLO01
13-12-2005, 05:29 PM
loss of back pressure.
NA cars need the pressure from the piping. That's y when you have leaks it actually looses power. ALso why it is important to get the pipe size correct
Sorry mate, I value your thoughts, but I sooo disagree with the whole back pressure thing. I know the majority of people say NA cars need back pressure, but its not right.

Tell me, why do you need back pressure? Don't you want to get the exhaust out of there?

Its all about flow - restriction and turbulance. Yes you need to have the right pipe size for you application and motor. Diameter too small - too restrictive, Diameter too large - turbulance is created and then again more restrictive. A motor is always changing volume over the rev range your exhaust shop has to take this in to consideration when designing.

Back pressure is a restriction, you need to fine an optimum flow between too small and too large.

T-onedc2
14-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Sorry mate, I value your thoughts, but I sooo disagree with the whole back pressure thing. I know the majority of people say NA cars need back pressure, but its not right.

Tell me, why do you need back pressure? Don't you want to get the exhaust out of there?

Its all about flow - restriction and turbulance. Yes you need to have the right pipe size for you application and motor. Diameter too small - too restrictive, Diameter too large - turbulance is created and then again more restrictive. A motor is always changing volume over the rev range your exhaust shop has to take this in to consideration when designing.

Back pressure is a restriction, you need to fine an optimum flow between too small and too large.
Spot on!:thumbsup: