PDA

View Full Version : [F1] Radical new 'CDG Wing'

^^v
24-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Centreline Downwash Generating Wing...hmm well.....
it certainly lookz different lolz... mite take some time to get used to the look... but if it helps in the overtaking department.. im all for it... as long as it doesnt slow down the cars too much...

lets hear some opinions!

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/zoom05/fia-cdg-z-02_241005.jpg

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/zoom05/fia-cdg-z-01_241005.jpg

[24/10/05 - 10:56]
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/img/vide.gif
FIA unveil the CDG Wing
Seeking introduction in 2008
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/img/l3.gif
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/img/vide.gif

The FIA consultation on the future of Formula One clearly demonstrated that the vast majority of the viewing public (94% according to the FIA/AMD survey) want more overtaking. This is at a time when overtaking in Formula One has become increasingly difficult.

Most aerodynamic research aims to improve a car’s performance when running in what is known as ‘clean’ air which has not been disturbed by the wake of a car running in front. However, in race conditions when cars follow each other closely, the wake of the car in front significantly reduces the aerodynamic performance of the following car, making overtaking extremely difficult and often impossible.

As a general rule, the better the aerodynamic performance of a car on its own, the worse its effect on the car behind and the greater the loss of performance for that car.

In order to encourage overtaking, the FIA initiated a programme of research into improving the aerodynamic performance of a car when trying to overtake. The objective was to produce regulations for a car shape which would create a wake in which a following car would generate more downforce with reduced drag.

With the help of the FIA’s technology partner AMD, the FIA’s research team have reached a preliminary conclusion which the FIA is now able to publish. The CDG Wing (Centreline Downwash Generating Wing) will be presented to the Formula One Commission meeting in London today.

“This new research is important for the future of Formula One," stated FIA President Max Mosley. "By introducing the CDG wing we can give motor sport fans exactly what they have asked for, wheel-to-wheel racing with much more overtaking. It is our hope that the teams will collaborate with us in the optimisation of this radical new idea so that the aerodynamic benefits can be introduced into Formula One in 2007 rather than having to wait until 2008.”

It is intended that the CDG Wing, together with wider wheels and slick tyres, will form part of the 2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations. With the support and collaboration of the teams it may be possible to introduce these changes as early as 2007.

"It’s clear the FIA has listened to the feedback of its key constituents - F1 fans around the world - and has taken a bold, innovative approach to improving overtaking and therefore creating a more exciting race experience," explained AMD Executive Vice President Henri Richard. "AMD is committed to encouraging innovation and creativity and to helping the world's leading organizations take advantage of the phenomenal impact of our technology."

E.A.
Source FIA

f1live.com

j3z3z
24-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Not a sponsors dream!!! Bring back the cars from the early 90's they were magic to watch

jackosimm
24-10-2005, 09:05 PM
they were very dangerous also, killed senna. Im up for this new idea if it helps overtaking, we sure as hell need some action:thumbsup:

j3z3z
24-10-2005, 09:11 PM
you think tho same shape/design as then but use todays structural tech it will equal fun to watch cars and safety oh yeah

also i see an issue with the placement of the wing. I love crashes but with the wing situated behind the rear tyres there will be less downforce on the rear making it far to easy to swap ends also drivers have a hard time seeing behind the as it is this wing will only hinder there vision more

bigteethygrin
24-10-2005, 10:23 PM
its definately a step closer to the right direction.. i mean at least the cars get to keep their front wing as they were thinking of removing that all together. Plus i like the idea of the wider slick tyres.. you really cant go past some good old fashioned mechanical grip..

Well we'll see what happens!

j3z3z
24-10-2005, 10:41 PM
i agree return to wide slicks but i do believe that wing will cause shit

sodaz
25-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Good stuff. Should make F1 a lot more fun to watch. Overtaking is what makes motorsports fun and we definitely need more of that.

Jus-10
25-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I think its a great step in the right direction....

By that I mean its fantastic that they have listened to the fans and are actively working on solutions to improve the "racing"

The next couple of years should be very interesting/exciting as they return to tyre changes, slicks and more mechanical grip...then we can see just how good the drivers are

Hondavirgin
25-10-2005, 11:06 AM
its well fugly, but i can see how it helps. But like someone said above, by by rear vision. It'll increase overtaking if only by meaning you can't see when someone is behind you!

Vivski
25-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I could get used to looking at that. As j3z3z said, the sponsors wont like it too much. :p

It's interesting, but I'm not yet convinced it's the right solution. The benefits are obvious, the design looks like it will definitely help cars follow closer to the rear of the car infront. But the downsides are less obvious. I have a few questions...
- with the wings being seperate (not one piece), will that effect the balance of the car in a corner?
- will the wings hold up to the huge forces imposed on them at 300+km/h given that all the force will not be pushing the wing into the car, it will be trying to rip the thinds off!!
- will they be easy to replace if one is snapped off by contact with another car or a wall?

I'm really not sure about the structural rigidity of those wings, but if they've been in the wind-tunnel with this thing and it really is the best then I think it's an improvement. As long as they've considered all the issues so there wont be any teething problems.

j3z3z
25-10-2005, 08:31 PM
The wing may have been tested in the wind tunnel but i fail to see it join the f1 circus, as you can see by the diagrams the air pressure shown on both is resultant to where the wing would be situated in the middle of the rear.
I have seen pictures of the mass distubance the wheels cause to the air pressure and not once is that shown in the 2nd diagram, nor is it shown to follow over the wing or show the disturbance it causes to the air leaving from the wing. Also the structural integrity of the wing could be a mojor problem yes it may have survived wind tunnel testing but it hasnt survived the track. As we all know a used wing is a thrown out wing in f1 because of all the stress not only from the downforce exerted on them, but the bumps and side forces from wind angles play a huge part. We have seen wings fail on current f1 cars so 1 structure to hold the wing up will be less structure to safetly distribute weight on to. And my last thought is without a hole being punched in the air by the car in front, a lesser gap and speed can be made on a straight to move along side in front as the car as the car behind is getting a full load of downforce and no slip stream.

civiceg9
28-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Why can't they use the Handford Device like CARTS and IRL.

The Handford Device is a rear wing configuration which causes the car to slow down. It is designed to reduce the aerodynamic grip of the car by decreasing the car's downforce. It also increases the drag, which slows the car as well. This increase in drag also increases the draft for following champ cars, making it easier to pass.

but then again Bernie don't want to copy the successful Americans.
Hope there will be a new F1 in 2008.

Vivski
29-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I was watching some open wheel racing thing that was on at Eastern Creek... Search for a V8 Superstar or something. The cars had no wings at all and they were awesome to watch. Got me wondering how fast F1 cars could go if you just ripped the wings off completely. They'd still have slicks and hugely powerful engines and various control systems. To get the best out of a car with no downforce, they'd have to slide around the corners so I wonder how they'd make traction control work!

But they'd look freakin strange with no wings!!... that would be so bizarre!

aaronng
30-10-2005, 12:33 AM
No downforce + 300+km/h + 800hp = death...

LUD02C
30-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Before they get ahead of themselves, I think all there attention should be to get all the teams to sign the concord agreement.

Without the teams there is no F1.

nEUROtic
31-10-2005, 12:27 PM
You know what. I dont think I want to see overtaking anymore. I voted in that survey and everything and I thought it was a great idea. But now, after watching A1 GP and cars that are twitchy due to lack of downforce, and the amount of accidents they have, I dont think its what we need. A 2 or three lap battle where someone despite the odds will finally wear someone down to pass them i think is a little more exciting than someone passing then getting repassed on the next corner, etc etc. It will end up being like moto GP.

Tracks like monaco, have little to no overtaking. They are still ****ing awesome. F1 is good and you get so excited to see a pass coz it has to be done, despite the odds, and with pure skill, not with an advantage the car in front creates.

Still, I think this wing will be implemented, I'm just wary about the repercussions, and the f1 we all love might change more than we are comfortable with.

aaronng
31-10-2005, 12:31 PM
According to this article, the new wing will preserve downforce, but reduce turbulent air at the rear. So you'll get the downforce and people can still overtake you. Best of both worlds! I don't think the cars will be twitchy. Remember, A1 cars were built to be low cost by Lola. If you are going low cost, there is only so much downforce that you can test and include in the design.