PDA

View Full Version : R. Schumacher To Sign For Renault, According to his manager

Rowie
09-03-2004, 02:04 PM
www.f1-live.com

Ralf Schumacher is to leave the Williams-BMW Formula One team and sign for Renault for next season, according to his manager.

Willi Weber told Tuesday's edition of Bild newspaper that he and the younger brother of six-time world champion Michael had agreed all the details with Renault supremo Flavio Briatore.

"We have agreed every point of the contract with Briatore," said Weber. "The signing of the contract is a mere formality."

Ralf, 28, has been unhappy at Williams for a while and even with the impending departure of Colombian team-mate Juan-Pablo Montoya at the end of the season for McLaren - and the expiry of his own contract - he is keen to leave.

Schumacher, winner of six races in 116 Grands Prix, had launched a broadside at the team's boss Frank Williams at the end of February over his ongoing contract negotiations.

"Even if me and my manager Willi Weber would find it hard to leave behind our friends at BMW, there's a chance it could happen. It would be sad but I can't allow myself to be treated like that by Williams," said Schumacher who finished fourth in the season opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.

"I'm not frustrated. But I find it hard to understand certain things that have happened these past few months." Schumacher claimed that Williams accused him of only being interested in money. "Frank Williams says I'm nothing but a money-grabber. I can only laugh at that. He knows that I would accept to cut my current salary in half," added Schumacher, who finished fourth in the drivers championship last season.

McChook
09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
YIPEEEEEEE
this means Williams will have 2 spare seats for next year... Enter Mark Webber.... and, umm, Jenson Button.....

vti-2
09-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Webber will definitely sign with Williams. And from there, the sky's the limit.

VTEC16
09-03-2004, 09:37 PM
I can see webber going to BMW.....but button wont....So who are we backing as the other williams driver??

McChook
09-03-2004, 10:05 PM
I can see webber going to BMW.....but button wont....So who are we backing as the other williams driver??

Who owns Jenson Button

VTEC16
09-03-2004, 10:26 PM
BAR owns JB. They have an option to extend their contract.....and i dont think they will let him go......at any cost.....they know what they've got!

McChook
09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, lets put it this way - Who was the first team Button dove for and had a long contract until he let Renault (Bennaton still at this time) borrow him

VTEC16
09-03-2004, 10:30 PM
i know he used to drive for them....but im telling you that BAR WONT let him go...

McChook
09-03-2004, 10:43 PM
i know he used to drive for them....but im telling you that BAR WONT let him go...

They don't have a choice. Like Mark Webber is signed to Flavio Briatore and Renault, Button is signed to Sir Frank and Williams. BAR only rent him out... They have a two year deal, but Williams can take him back whenever they want - there is an escape clause - when a seat arises for Jenson Button in Williams, the escape clause can be entered.

VTEC16
09-03-2004, 10:54 PM
It doesnt quite work like that.....jenson signed a contract, that if BAR wants to renew it, then he HAS to stay with BAR.....at least that is my understanding.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s169/st38724.htm

....like i said....after 2004, BAR has an option for another 2 years....

McChook
09-03-2004, 11:03 PM
This will be interesting. That report doesn;t state anything clearly. For the press release I read 2 years ago, basically said he was tied to Williams for 8 years, and all negotited driver contracts were to include an escape clause should a seat arise within Williams. I have read earlier documents stating slightly different legal terms, but basically I was to the belief that Button was stealable at the conclusion of any season.... Should be interesting, could turn into a tug-of war.

VTEC16
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Iv read quite a few recent articles on JB and williams...none have mentioned the clause you stated....that is interesting though....i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I want Jenson to do really well....but id be most happy with him at BAR :cry:

McChook
09-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I read it in a great thing a mate of mine did for his BA Law whilst studying in England... He got all sorts of awesome F1 contracts and broke them down - they are unbelievable, but Jenson's one with Williams was just flawless. Senna's with Williams was quite thorough too - if he had finished that season, things were going to be very interesting...

He somehow managed to meet a former Williams F1 director who assisted in the study...

Also, i think a lot of it was publicised in an F1 Racing a while back

VTEC16
10-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Geez....well i cant really compete with that! All i know is that he has some sort of contract with BAR wich could extend past 2005.....ohh well....bye bye jenson :x

McChook
10-03-2004, 03:27 PM
yeah, it was amazing, and he ended up topping his year in the Uni.... awesome detail