PDA

View Full Version : signs of clutch going...

HRV-80Y
25-10-2005, 07:43 PM
hmmmz not familiar with this part of the car...

wat r tell tail signs of a clutch going ?

soft spungy feel ? friction point is low ?

car has dun around 82,000km's so has the clutch obviously...

any1 for sum input ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bennyBear
25-10-2005, 08:06 PM
lol,

82,000kms isn't bad, clutch shouldnt be wearing by then...

HOWEVER

I dont believe that anyone on here drives like a grandma!!!

So

Yes, spongy feel under foot, but could just mean that th clutch plate is hot. If you use the clutch over an extended period of time i.e riding it, or peak hour traffic, the clutch plate 'glazes' over, and the teeth dont bite in properly, just drive it g'ma like for a while and the plate will eventually roughen up again and it will be fine.
Low friction point could also be because of this.

Best way to find out, first thing when you take your car out tomorrow (has had time to cool down) quickly shift 1-2nd and if the car doesn't bite into load straight away your clutch mite be slipping, thus has worn a fair bit. Also drive in second and nail it at about 3krpm, this can make a worn clutch slip also.

This doesn't mean that you need a new one, you can get a new plate or a clutch kit (about $170 i think) which will fix your problems, otherwise do yourself a favour and go aftermarket, is one of the best mods i have done!!

Top me up if i have missed any obvious ones!!

G/luck!

ProECU
25-10-2005, 08:10 PM
handbrake on, put car in 3rd or 4th, and try to take off....

If the clutch slips, you'll know!

aStRooo
26-10-2005, 12:30 AM
what is expected to happen with a 3rd gear take off to signify a slipping clutch?

00' coupe
26-10-2005, 12:51 AM
if friction point is getting higher... it shouldnt on hydraulic clutches (bad sign)

just try driving it on a hill... do a hill start and if your lagging or cant get up to speed like you normally would... also try 4th gear up a hill at lowish revs... if you clutch is really bad you will know it then.

sometimes when the clutch gets hot (i.e after thrashing it or big traffic) it might feel funny... try getting your fluid changed first... if you still having problems start looking for a new clutch...once it starts to slip its gonna get worse rather quickly...

wynode
26-10-2005, 01:33 AM
what is expected to happen with a 3rd gear take off to signify a slipping clutch?
Good clutch = engine stalls
WOrn clutch = slippage = RPM won't drop.