PDA

View Full Version : Front springs removal

racinghonda
26-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Has anyone done this them selves? I have had a look at its a bit different to the double wishbone setup on my lude. I have Spoon Springs for the wife's Jazz and am looking to DIY the install. The rear looks simple but the front one is a bit diffrent.

How do I remove the spring? Does the whole strut come out? There is one big nut on the top of the strut, do I undo that?

Philip Lee
26-10-2005, 12:03 PM
i dunno how to get the springs off the damper but i know how to get the damper off the car.

u'll need to unscrew the screw on the tower, 2 screws at the base of the damper and a screw and a clip for the brake hose and another screw for the swap bar. that's it and your damper is off the car.

A'PEXi
26-10-2005, 04:21 PM
after the damper is off, use spring compressor's to compress the spring and undo the top hat, take that off, take the spring out, put the new spring in (compressed).. basically reverse the process and put the damper back on the car, done.

racinghonda
27-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Sweet, thanks A'PEXi and Phillip. The Jazz should look pretty nice lowered and sitting on the 16" ROH Adrenaline wheels. I have noticed that the Spoon Springs are much more progressively wound than the OEM ones, I hope that means it will ride nicely.

panda
27-10-2005, 10:58 AM
good job, nice to see some people doing some diy, its all common sense really

Jazzle
27-10-2005, 12:10 PM
hey racinghonda,, how much lower u get with spoon spring??? and if u can, can u please post some pic after u install them? ;) cheers..

racinghonda
27-10-2005, 01:31 PM
hey racinghonda,, how much lower u get with spoon spring??? and if u can, can u please post some pic after u install them? ;) cheers..

Spoon specifies a 25mm drop which is just under 1"

asiansquad
27-10-2005, 02:00 PM
after the damper is off, use spring compressor's to compress the spring and undo the top hat, take that off, take the spring out, put the new spring in (compressed).. basically reverse the process and put the damper back on the car, done.

u don't need spring compressors when taking the spring out of the jazz

racinghonda
27-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Would I need the compressor to put the Spoon Spring on?

Zimp13
27-10-2005, 07:31 PM

depending on the length of the spring... but i would say most likely no.

panda
28-10-2005, 10:49 PM
agrees, but be warned that spring jolts out quite suddenly once you loosen that last bolt of the shock :p

i would say yes, you know how hard those springs are? you wouldnt budge one by even sitting on it haha

Fizz
02-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Racinghonda, could you post some pics of your jazz before & after the installation. would be usefull to others too if you could post some pics of the installation process as well. thanks!

racinghonda
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Racinghonda, could you post some pics of your jazz before & after the installation. would be usefull to others too if you could post some pics of the installation process as well. thanks!

Yep, I'll take photos for sure. The Spoon springs have been sitting in the house for 3 weeks now. The wife complained of the handling of the Jazz so I ordered the springs. Then I change to a 16" wheel with 205/45R16 tyre and she's happy with it (although not with the 0.6L/100kms cost of running with bigger wheels/tyres). But now she's worried she won't be able to get in and out of the driveway if I lower it. So it may have to wait till we move.

Personally I can't wait to do it. The Spoon springs look great and I drive the Jazz on the weekends when we're on outings together since its the family car.

spoon fit
07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
juz got mine today
the shocks still on the way
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/2924/pict15040yr.jpg

Jus-10
07-11-2005, 07:48 PM
oooo they look pretty