PDA

View Full Version : Hotdog vs. Muffler Box

n/a
27-10-2005, 12:52 AM
hey guys, which of the 2 is less restrictive?

good idea to change the muffler box for a hotdog?

n/a
27-10-2005, 01:17 AM
ok, i'm realising that a hotdog would be less restrictive, any down sides to having no muffler?

my aim is to have little or none back pressure. i know i can't have none due to the cat.

chinkdood
27-10-2005, 04:50 AM
sorry for noobness

wat is a hotdog or muffler box?

i think they help reduce the loudness but wat do they look like or wats the exact function

n/a
27-10-2005, 10:53 AM
found out that back pressure is from the piping size, not really the box or dog.

isn't the real purpose of both to reduce noise?

[[d a n n y]]
27-10-2005, 11:18 AM
hotdog with mustard.

anywayz from my experience.

hotdog is louder than muffler

DLO01
27-10-2005, 12:17 PM
ok, i'm realising that a hotdog would be less restrictive, any down sides to having no muffler?

I take it your planning on using it on the street?

Down sides are: No.1 The Law. You'll attract too much attention (I think thats a good enough reason on its own)

hey guys, which of the 2 is less restrictive?

good idea to change the muffler box for a hotdog?
When you say 'hot dog' do you mean a cannon style?

Cannons are generally less restrictive.

bennyBear
27-10-2005, 12:42 PM

This is only due to the straight through nature of a cannon style muffler, there are heaps of other styles with this configuration, Jun bl, hks, etc etc which do a better job of keeping the noise levels down!

The cat and resi are not particularly restrictive compared to oem headers, piping, and muffler. Factory honda cats actually flow quite well, so unless forced induction is on the table, i wouldn't bother replacing the factory cat/resi with expensive aftermarket items!!!!

jared
27-10-2005, 01:09 PM
wen i got my 2icnh catback exhaust system put on i had the resonator aka hotdog changed from stock to a high flow one and yes it does help its not that expensive either i paided $150 for the catback piping and high flow hotdog into my sports mufler...very nice tone and better response all round

[[d a n n y]]
27-10-2005, 02:10 PM
hot dog is not a cannon style.

it's a smaller cylinderincal resonator.

technically a cannon is a muffler

so is a hotdog.

tinkerbell
27-10-2005, 02:30 PM
a 'hotdog' is not a muffler unless it is packed with muffling.

a resonator will usually just have swirl fins inside to turbulate the air as it passes through.

n/a
27-10-2005, 08:02 PM
I take it your planning on using it on the street?

Down sides are: No.1 The Law. You'll attract too much attention (I think thats a good enough reason on its own)

When you say 'hot dog' do you mean a cannon style?

yea this is for street use, just got the muffler changed, it's loud, but not that loud.

i was thinking of hotdog then followed by just piping.