PDA

View Full Version : 6000RPM

EuroAccord13
10-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Has anyone Pushed their Euro yet?

I've tried it and it seems that the VTEC kicks in only at 6000RPM.. It's a bit high isn't it? I mean an ITR opens up at like 5600RPM or something..

And relating it back to my other topic of i-VTEC, I can't seem to feel the change in response from the engine.... only at 6000RPM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3704

And yes.. the surge in power is very very obvious :D :D :D

Loving it!

CHEERS

euro77
10-03-2004, 07:03 AM
yeah, I have, and it kicks in at 6k RPM indeed. Too bad I only have a grand to play with before the redline :(

wynode
10-03-2004, 07:59 AM
And relating it back to my other topic of i-VTEC, I can't seem to feel the change in response from the engine.... only at 6000RPM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3704

Like I said, it justs adjusts the cam timing. So no, you wo't exepect a sudden surge in power :)

McChook
10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I-Vtec doesn;t affect lift.

Imagine if it did though...... a Vtec K24

jonowong
10-03-2004, 12:00 PM
wouldnt you be able to lower the kick in point with a vtec controller?

McChook
10-03-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't know because I-Vtec isn;t VTEC - if you know what I mean. and plus, lowering won't achieve anything, the cam profiles are designed around specific timing

jonowong
10-03-2004, 12:43 PM
ahhh i get you

A'PEXi
10-03-2004, 01:10 PM
someone experiment with their euro lol! :D

wynode
10-03-2004, 01:34 PM
I don't know because I-Vtec isn;t VTEC

What is that meant to mean?

Its the same technology as before except that cam timing is adjusted according to engine load and the TPS. Hence the "Intelligence"

McChook
10-03-2004, 01:36 PM
But I-VTEC doesn't change lift, only timing. Unless I am getting my technologies all mixed up

wynode
10-03-2004, 01:45 PM
But I-VTEC doesn't change lift, only timing. Unless I am getting my technologies all mixed uperrr you sure are.

Either that or the DC5R only has 1 cam profile also ;)

wynode
10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

iVTEC = VTEC + VTC
Hopefully readers would have read my article on the new iVTEC and the basic operating principle that VTC or Variable Timing Control is based on. As Honda clearly stated in this K20A article, iVTEC is VTEC with VTC added. K20A uses a combination of VTEC-E and power-VTEC that switches between 12-valve economy mode and a 16-valve mode with a separate wild intake cam. VTC complements this VTEC variation. For the K20A engine however, outright power is not the sole objective of iVTEC, the other important parameters of fuel economy and emissions has been given equally important footing, a direction that Honda has always promoted in the past. This impossible balance of power and economy has previously only been realizeable in Honda's D15B 3-stage VTEC first used on the previous generation EK3 (and the D17A on the current Civic).

wynode
10-03-2004, 01:56 PM
AND http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/11_04.gif

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/11_03.jpg

McChook
10-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Well then, back to the books for me...

Slugoid
10-03-2004, 05:38 PM
"Has anyone Pushed their Euro yet?" - Haha, since day one ;)

Although you can only "feel" VTEC around 6K rmp, I find that VTEC actually kicks in at 5K rmp precisely. Why? Try revving in netural and see how far you get. Answer is 5K (well, in my auto box). I don't think Honda wanted people hitting VTEC in netural, hence, the rev limiting. Also, I find that if u keep the car around 5-7K rmp it gets pretty loud and throttle response it totally different. Symptoms of VTEC?? Certainly.

Also tried driving around in the Euro with no air filter :P (only around a block for a few minutes). Throttle response is improved and you can hear VTEC quite distintively. See how I go with my new K&N filter, due to arrive very soon.

EuroAccord13
18-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Although you can only "feel" VTEC around 6K rmp, I find that VTEC actually kicks in at 5K rmp precisely. Why? Try revving in netural and see how far you get. Answer is 5K (well, in my auto box). I don't think Honda wanted people hitting VTEC in netural, hence, the rev limiting. Also, I find that if u keep the car around 5-7K rmp it gets pretty loud and throttle response it totally different. Symptoms of VTEC?? Certainly.

I've actually pushed the car again today, and you are right, I could actually start to feel it rushing in just after 5000RPM abeit slightly, I'm just wondering if it has to do with the new oil or running in of the engine..

CHEERS
Nick

revolution
19-03-2004, 07:37 PM

I've actually pushed the car again today, and you are right, I could actually start to feel it rushing in just after 5000RPM abeit slightly, I'm just wondering if it has to do with the new oil or running in of the engine..

CHEERS
Nick

I don't think VTEC kicks in at all anyways in netural, so the rev limiter doesnt matter. I thought VTEC only kicks in under certain conditions like Engine temp is warm enough, Car is moving at a certain speed......

madgrk
19-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Engine oil must be certain temp.
Car MUST be in motion (over 30 km/h)
Must wear your undies on top of your head :D

Last one is yet to be proven tho..

Spoon-Accord
19-03-2004, 08:08 PM
VTEC works under force.. if u rolling 30 k's and rev it.. nothing happens..
only when force is applied..
when u start ur car early in the morning.. VTEC wont kick in at all..
all got to do with oil pressure.. oil temp.. engine temp.. etc..