PDA

View Full Version : how do i remove the EG hatch wing?

XRATED
27-10-2005, 08:21 PM
theres these two black clips that seem to be covering the screws that remove it.
also the connector for the backlight, how do i remove that? i tried pressing on the latch and pulling it, but it doesnt budge.

sorry noob here.

simon
27-10-2005, 08:54 PM
if you're trying to take the plastic part off the metal wing, good luck without damaging it.

anyone been able to do it without braking something?

XRATED
27-10-2005, 09:44 PM
metal wing? i thought it was plastic

EG5[KRT]
27-10-2005, 10:01 PM
u gotta get a screwdriver and sorta flick it up at the tabs..if ur careful u wont break anything.. and hold the bottom at the same time ..

it was a bitch to do .. coz i had to change the bulb.. but yeah afta that i left that damn cover bit off...

mugeneration
27-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah honda tab things are notorious for being hard to pull apart (at least to me anyway!). If you just keep at it, jiggle it a little bit if you can without damaging it if you can. At least thats what i've found with all my wires. If you cut the wire its no real loss, as there's usually some extra down the line and you can re-wire it back up.

incoming
28-10-2005, 12:31 PM
if ur wanting to take the whole wing off, u dont undo the plastic clips...

open the glass hatch and undo the nuts holding the actual wing

EG5[KRT]
28-10-2005, 12:39 PM
i think hes trying to get to the stop light ... but yeah if ur trying to get off wing yeah u do that ... *points up above*

egSi
28-10-2005, 01:45 PM
its easier to remove the plastic thing off when the wing is off the car imo.

but its a bitch, i had do this when gettin my sir II wing painted. id take the 4 10mm bolts off. and be careful with removing the lil clips.
i broke a couple but u cant tell :p

pillow
28-10-2005, 01:51 PM
^^ Same here, when I took my stock wing off I broke a couple of those little clips. It's almost impossible not to as they age and become brittle. You can't tell the difference, it doesn't look broken. I just replaced mine with a cf wing:D

XRATED
28-10-2005, 04:09 PM
if ur wanting to take the whole wing off, u dont undo the plastic clips...

open the glass hatch and undo the nuts holding the actual wing

yeah i dont want to take the stop lights, just the whole wing

where are these nuts?

incoming
29-10-2005, 01:28 AM
^^ when u opejn tha glass lid, look on the underside of the glass lid... u should be able to see either 2 or 4 nuts on the bolts holding the wing back.. undo them
sorry i aint got pics to show..

note: u gotta take the whole wing off to get to the stop light... otherwise ur gona break the clips like every1 mentioned above.. plus it makes it much easier to remove the light bulb, cos of the position the light bulb is in... and even with the wing off its a bit hard to remove the light bulb and putting it back in! ie. such a tight spot!

Paul1985
29-10-2005, 01:37 AM
^^ Same here, when I took my stock wing off I broke a couple of those little clips. It's almost impossible not to as they age and become brittle. You can't tell the difference, it doesn't look broken. I just replaced mine with a cf wing:D

^^^

Hey pillow do u have your replica spoon duckbill on now??
dude, mines sitting in my room!! wish i had the hatch to put it on right now!

if u got a pic of it on, id love to see it :) (PM)

btw, great thread :thumbsup:

Once you take the wing off, are there visible holes or any marks??
Im guessing some people would prefer their hatch with no wing at all, would u need to get holes plugged??

pillow
29-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Paul,

The wing is on, has been for a while but I only just got the car back from having some shit fixed. I'll get some pics soon when the weather is better here.

As for having the holes plugged up, it's not really an option on the hatch as there is no panel under the wing (if you know what I mean) There has to be a wingof some sort on the EG hatches.