PDA

View Full Version : All the hints and tip you can give

redliner
28-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I was on the drag for the 1st time on weds... running everything stock except for the muffler just for sound, and clutch wasnt sticking too well either :p
I had street tyres on 17psi on front and rear (i dunno why for the rear)
1. i launch at 5.5k for the 1st run got wheel spin and it bogged down jus below 5k 60ft 2.474
2. 2nd run i launch at 5k less wheel spin but i bogged down below 4.5k 60ft 2.421
3. 3rd run i launch at 4.5k and it still bogged down 60ft 2.394

Any reason why it keeps bogging down? clutch? riding too much? release clutch too early?

Im planning to get new clutch & flywheel soon and going back to try again. So any tips will be great.

wynode
28-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Try accellerating as you are letting the clutch out.

Otherwise try launching higher but release the clutch a bit slower.

pgclee
28-10-2005, 03:48 PM
u might wanna improve your way of releasing clutch and accelerating...u might get down to 2.2sec..

for me case, it takes me alot of practice to get me down to 1.9sec with me car...

redliner
28-10-2005, 07:50 PM
1.9sec
thats really gd
coz all i know is street n drag strip is way diff

chinkdood
28-10-2005, 08:41 PM
is riding the clutch better or dumpin the clutch at drags?

wynode
28-10-2005, 08:49 PM
We need master yonas in here!

VTi_b0i
28-10-2005, 08:56 PM
lol i get the perfect take off revving to just 2-2.5k rpm... a lil wheel spin but then gripz and takes off :) no wonder u jus spin revving it that high lol

zco
28-10-2005, 09:10 PM
wtf ? you revved to only 2-2.5K ? aer you serious ? i find thats actually hard to beleive *sorry*

Rax
28-10-2005, 09:16 PM
yeh i get the same prob, i often launce at 4 to 4.5k get very little wheel spin then boggs down...i then try 2 vary how i release the clutch n accelerate n every now n then i get a good launch little wheel spin and little or not bogging at all but wen i try 2 do it all again i get bak 2 where i started! bogging!! annoying as hell

wynode
28-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind that wheelspin is your friend as long as you are still moving. Bogging down is what will slow you down.

chee
28-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Rev to about 4500rpm to start with (this is prob a bit low but good place to start) then gently 'slip' the clutch while giving more throttle on take off. If you just pop straight off the clutch you get that 'thump & lag' feeling while your brain starts adding up repair bills! If you gently slip it while giving more throttle you will get that nice 'push' feel. If that isn't enough revs then try 5k, 5.5k, 6k little bit by bit to find the right bite & see how you go. It is exactly the same as taking off with 'normal driving' ie: gentle slip & more throttle but you are just starting with higher revs instead of 1500rpm like Nana does.

But remember, don't let it slip too much otherwise you get that lurvely smell. There is a fine line between "do or die"!

edit: that was originally for wrx launching but applies to all cars (bar the up to 6k!)

redliner
28-10-2005, 11:24 PM
nice info chee
ill sure to try that next time.. must be the quick dump of the clutch thats boggin me.

btw i dont need to lower the psi on the rear tyres do i?

luzinit
29-10-2005, 01:04 AM
well i tell u what i did... hehehehe. i launched to 6k and drop the clutch, consistent 2.2 60ft times. but that is with a b16a, so i dun have the low down torque, u cud probably do the same in the lude at about 4k...

fried
29-10-2005, 01:49 AM
well i tell u what i did... hehehehe. i launched to 6k and drop the clutch, consistent 2.2 60ft times. but that is with a b16a, so i dun have the low down torque, u cud probably do the same in the lude at about 4k...

lol i was reading the whole first page thinking - im going to tell them how luzinit does it..... :p

beat me to it y0 :thumbsup:

great times!

aozora
29-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Get LSD ahha :p

Rax
29-10-2005, 08:37 AM
great tip chee, ima try that 2 next time cheers,
i think i jus been doin the same as u there redliner.

VTi_b0i
29-10-2005, 09:04 AM
wtf ? you revved to only 2-2.5K ? aer you serious ? i find thats actually hard to beleive *sorry*
lol *thinkz bout it* ummm maybe it was 2.5-3? roflz but yehh its not that badly over revving it, and it only screetches for like 1second then gets traction... but im sure its not over 3... but that was b4 my clutch started slipping so i duno if it would do it anymore lol

redliner
29-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Get LSD ahha :p
i got ATTS which is just the same concept

i dun wanna launch too low coz that will leave me out of vtec, the got great torque but its damn heavy.

luzinit
29-10-2005, 12:11 PM
drop ur front tyre pressure to 22psi, launch 6k. drop clutch, vrooooom!! run 14's bro ;)

bigteethygrin
29-10-2005, 05:45 PM
ok.. dropping tyre pressure.. here's something i am not getting..

i know rwd's do it because they will do a massive wheel spin at the start and heat the tyres up hence expanding the tyres to full pressure-ish..

fwd's often dont wheel spin in the water at teh start and if they do dont do one big enough to actually get any heat into the tyres.. so in other words your gonna be starting at the line with saggy tyres.

So how does this help you take off?? I'm just trying to get familiar with the concept.

redliner
29-10-2005, 08:34 PM
they a got concept, never thought of that.

luzinit
29-10-2005, 11:16 PM
well, if it is flat, there is more surface area touchin the ground, so u get better traction ;) the whole point is so u get more contact area. well it works for me, taught by yonas *bows down, hahahahahha

ps: durin my last 6 runs, ive never done a burnout. dunno how. haha, but im gettin decent 60 foot times on 16" street tyres.. so i dont think it is totally necessary, would help tho..

DLO01
29-10-2005, 11:58 PM
For us FWD people, use low pressure in the front and high pressure in the back. You want max grip in the front, while you want less rolling resistance (drag) in the back, hence pump the rears up high.

The reason for low pressure in the fronts it not only to maxamise tyre contact area on the bitumen, but the tyre will flex and distribute the power to the ground more slowly instead of instant. A hard (hi pressure) tyre distributes the power instantly to the ground and you'll end up loosing traction easier.

Hopefully you can see it in this photo, (see the tyre flex):

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/My%20Crx/nhra_05_10_1_230b.jpg

If this guy dumped the clutch at the same rpm and same style if the tyre was pumped up hard, then the wheels would spin.

That is why 18's and 19 inch wheels arn't good at the drags, while you can drop the pressure on these and get a simular contact patch, the walls on the tyres are not big enough to get a good flex in the tyre. 15's and 14 are better.

If your at the drags or the track if you loose traction your loosing time.

bennyBear
30-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Rear tires should stay in standard inflation, you only need to drop the drive wheels. Riding out the clutch gets easier and easier the more you practice, what e.t did you run on your third attempt? terminal speed?

edw-R
02-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I ran 18psi at my front wheel (street tyres) and launched 4K rpm. I still had a lot wheel spin and jumping. Maybe my setting of coilovers was too hard (F: 14K and R: 9K).

EG5
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
the quickest way to get off the line :
wheel spin + rolling and gain speed on the same time thats what you've got to achieve.
I pulled consistent 1.7 60ft with 22x8x15 m/t slicks.
8k rpm launch.

EG5
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I ran 18psi at my front wheel (street tyres) and launched 4K rpm. I still had a lot wheel spin and jumping. Maybe my setting of coilovers was too hard (F: 14K and R: 9K).

14k should be on rear , 9k front.

redliner
03-11-2005, 11:19 AM
8k launch? i dont think i can achieve that with street tyres... im already getting massive wheel spins on 5k

EG5
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
8k launch? i dont think i can achieve that with street tyres... im already getting massive wheel spins on 5k

Learn and practice to ride on the clutch.

PRELUDECRAZY
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
wat petrol is best 4 a 1998 vtir prelude

Blew_lude
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
wat petrol is best 4 a 1998 vtir prelude

you should try using water

Q_ball
05-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Rev to about 4500rpm to start with (this is prob a bit low but good place to start) then gently 'slip' the clutch while giving more throttle on take off. If you just pop straight off the clutch you get that 'thump & lag' feeling while your brain starts adding up repair bills! If you gently slip it while giving more throttle you will get that nice 'push' feel. If that isn't enough revs then try 5k, 5.5k, 6k little bit by bit to find the right bite & see how you go. It is exactly the same as taking off with 'normal driving' ie: gentle slip & more throttle but you are just starting with higher revs instead of 1500rpm like Nana does.

But remember, don't let it slip too much otherwise you get that lurvely smell. There is a fine line between "do or die"!
thats wat i did, except i took off at 3-3.5K - got me 60ft of 2.2 no probs :)

aaronng
24-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I have a question. When you shift from 1-2 at redline, do you release the clutch as fast as you can and hit the accelerator again, thus getting wheelspin and possibly damaging the tranny/driveline, or do you release the clutch in a slower fashion so that the revs drop and then you hit the accelerator?

Edit: This is for 1/4 or 0-100, not for street driving. So no waiting for the revs to drop. But I am still wondering what is the right and accepted way.

zco
24-11-2005, 06:05 PM
i tend to do that when i shift.. not on a regular basis, just when i want to fang it abit..
the car tends to have a sudden pull/shock. i think its badd.. but i dont knwo what it is. can someone answer aaron's question, i too would like to find out

redliner
25-11-2005, 10:55 PM
i like to know the answr too
when i shift 1-2 i always shift quick and hard to keep the rev in vtec

aaronng
26-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Bump for update.

preludacris
19-01-2006, 06:17 AM
i dont' wait for revs to drop

just do the quickest shift i can , its like a quick kick on the clutch. i'm back on the throttle asap ..
man watch all the best motoring vids etc , thats how they change gears too ..

trudogg
22-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Bump for update.

riceball
23-01-2007, 05:45 PM
flatshifting ftw!

NMD
25-01-2007, 08:58 AM
i cant make myself change gears without putting in the clutch. mind you my left hand and left foot dont always operate in co-ordination...

so while my left foot does move, i probably just am flat shifting.

brendan

redliner
25-01-2007, 12:23 PM
flatshifting ftw!

wouldnt wanna be doing that alot

Behtec_JunKIE
25-08-2008, 09:19 PM
my mate launched his DC2R (YB0057) at 6500 with a little wheel spin, got 2.075 60ft and 13.9 @ 95mph!
had 18psi in front tyres.
he held it at 6500 rpm with handbrake up, released clutch until it started to grip a bit then dropped handbrake, dumped clutch and full acceleration all at once. rpm dropped a bit but stayed in vtec range!
standard clutch wont hold up for too long though.
on the street is different coz of traction compound on drag strip etc...

migoreng
25-08-2008, 09:45 PM
seems like i put heaps of stress on the drivetrain when i do a quick 1-2 second shift...
i hit 8krpm then clutch in and second gear..
by the time my clutch is out in second gear the revs would have gone from 8k down to like 6.5-7k. but second gear rpm after 1st reline should be around 5500rpm...so basically the engine is being forced from 7krpm down to 5.5k when i release the clutch in second gear..

usually the wheels should chirp right? well i can't seem to chirp second gear but it depends on the road i guess...my tyres must be grippy..

also one thing i notice when i shift quick from 1-2 is the speedo gets a quick 'boost'
1st gear redline gets me to around 60kph...when i slam it into second it seems the speedo jumps from 60-70kph in the blink of an eye...then continues at normal speed from 70-100kph..
anyone know what's going on there?

RandyRhydah
29-08-2008, 06:40 PM
i probly know as much as a door knob here compared to everyone else but is that caused by the wheels spinning into second gear which is the sudden jump to 70 and then gripping again? correct me if im wrong please :)

cris88
06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
i probly know as much as a door knob here compared to everyone else but is that caused by the wheels spinning into second gear which is the sudden jump to 70 and then gripping again? correct me if im wrong please :)

yehhh i think its jus the wheels spinning so like u said revs jump and speedo jumps a bit.. looking like u getting a sudden boost lolz

bbds
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
yehhh i think its jus the wheels spinning so like u said revs jump and speedo jumps a bit.. looking like u getting a sudden boost lolz

v t a c just kicked in yoo!!

e240
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
wouldnt wanna be doing that alot

If you can set the car up with an clutch switch to cut ignition, it should be ok..Its probably worth a couple of 10th of a second on the circuit all up..

I just couldn't be bothered.. :-)

_bORdO_
16-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a question. When you shift from 1-2 at redline, do you release the clutch as fast as you can and hit the accelerator again, thus getting wheelspin and possibly damaging the tranny/driveline, or do you release the clutch in a slower fashion so that the revs drop and then you hit the accelerator?

Edit: This is for 1/4 or 0-100, not for street driving. So no waiting for the revs to drop. But I am still wondering what is the right and accepted way.

ive actually learnt to not let go of the throttle... deadset it grabs the next gear in half a second.
e.g cut-out is at (lets say) 8k rpm... at 7.6k or there abouts stamp on your clutch and snap it into 2nd as fast as possible keeping foot on the throttle.

it sounds like flat changing but its not at all... if you connect it right in between that 0.4k rpm limit youve got you'll feel it snatch!!
ALSO very low wheel spin, if you:
-release throttle
-then clutch
-then change
-then throttle...
it creates more jerk bc theres more steps therefore more time... where as;
-full throttle, clutch+snap gear
it snatches. more noticable from 2nd to 3rd gear

give it ago... just make sure you dont miss the gear ahahaha!

trentd
10-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I sit and second and launch at about 5 gran. and it grips and throughs me back,
then again i am running a turbo. launching in first was just too hard, teach yourself second.
if your got the power that is

migoreng
10-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I sit and second and launch at about 5 gran. and it grips and throughs me back,
then again i am running a turbo. launching in first was just too hard, teach yourself second.
if your got the power that is

make your 1st gear ratio longer...
:P

trentd
10-02-2010, 12:56 PM
make your 1st gear ratio longer...
:P

lol i could, but i get thrown back into my seat launching in 2nd

toy
27-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I was on the drag for the 1st time on weds... running everything stock except for the muffler just for sound, and clutch wasnt sticking too well either :p
I had street tyres on 17psi on front and rear (i dunno why for the rear)
1. i launch at 5.5k for the 1st run got wheel spin and it bogged down jus below 5k 60ft 2.474
2. 2nd run i launch at 5k less wheel spin but i bogged down below 4.5k 60ft 2.421
3. 3rd run i launch at 4.5k and it still bogged down 60ft 2.394

Any reason why it keeps bogging down? clutch? riding too much? release clutch too early?

Im planning to get new clutch & flywheel soon and going back to try again. So any tips will be great.

I'm no expert, but I've been down the strip a bit in my EK Civic first with a highly strung B18c then with a K24/K20 setup.

With the B18c setup I used to launch at around 7000rpm and just drop the clutch. My mate with a B16a used to launch off the limiter. With the K setup I was launching at around 6500rpm with a launch control and again just dropping the clutch.

As for the tyres if you are using street tyres I would run the fronts at around 15psi and the rears at 40psi. With the K series I was running M&H DOT tyres up front and ran them at 9psi and just standard street tyres on the rear again at a minimum of 40psi.

There are different views on "smoking" the tyres at the burn out, but the stickier the tyres street or drag the better as they will grip on the track better. With street tyres I used to start the burnout in first and try and hook 2nd as soon as possible. With the K I was dropping the clutch in 3rd to start the burnout.

Car setup plays a lot in drag racing as well, you need to make sure that you have serviced your car recently and that you use good oil etc (a clean well looked after engine is a happy engine) and don't forget to change the oil in the gearbox as well, when doing the filter don't forget the fuel filter. Then put a new set of spark plugs in (I used to wait until I was at the track so they didn't carbon up on the way to the strip, unless I took the car on the trailer). Also make sure you are using a clean good brand air filter. The more air and fuel you can get into it the better it will go.

Another good idea is to make sure that your engine mounts are not torn or broken as this helps reduce the "twist" on the engine and gearbox.

Other tricks you can do to help make your 1/4 mile time just that little bit better than other cars are:

Make sure the rear suspension is as hard as you can make it (as the more weight over the front wheels on the launch the better.... the harder the rear the less it will push down in the back when you launch).
At the front you want to make the suspension a little softer (this depends on the track, but the theory is sound).
You want to remove as much weight from the car and the driver as you can before your 1/4 mile run, as with our Hondas and small engines the power to weight ratio is important.
Also if you have an EK or EG (I'm not too sure about the other models) you are better off removing the rear bumper (if within the rules). If you are not allowed to remove it you need to drill some big holes in it to reduce the drag effect it has. I improved my times by 300th of a second by drilling 5 big holes in mine.
If you are really wanting to get the best out of your setup you can also take it in to your local wheel alignment shop and get the front and rear setup for drag racing rather than every day street driving.

This is not a complete list, but just a few tips learnt from trial and error and experience.

YBOOST
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
what did you run with the K swap?

toy
01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
what did you run with the K swap?

We ran a best time of 11.66 @ 121mph and I think it has quite a bit left in it yet. it has 322hp at the wheels on the dyno.

YBOOST
04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
turbo or na? thats good power and mph

toy
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
turbo or na? thats good power and mph

NA
No Boost No Bottle, Just Pure Throttle :)

YBOOST
05-07-2010, 02:03 PM
never heard anything about this car until now... impressive man! and in an ek!

EG5
05-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Impressive mph .

honda_b_blastn
05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
We ran a best time of 11.66 @ 121mph and I think it has quite a bit left in it yet. it has 322hp at the wheels on the dyno.

Are you originally from NZ? red ek hatch yer?

toy
05-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Are you originally from NZ? red ek hatch yer?

Yep thats the one, we only moved here about 10 months ago. The car is still in NZ, it might even have a new owner now, so it could even go faster yet.

honda_b_blastn
05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
thought it was that one,i saw it for sale a while back..nice numbers btw

toy
05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
thought it was that one,i saw it for sale a while back..nice numbers btw

Thanks :) It was just a pity that it was too hard to bring it over here, it would have been great to see what it would have done here on a good track.