PDA

View Full Version : engine swap - integra engine to civc

N4CER
10-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Okay firstly I'd just like to say it's just an idea of mine that I'd like to do an engine swap to give my 2003 Civic Gli a lil more power, as you would all know they are quite slow :) even in manual!

So I was wondering if it is possible that an Integra K20A engine would fit? I'm guessing this engine is a 2.0L VTEC engine from the latest Integra's?

And also how I would go about sourcing either a brand new engine or as new (~20,000km or less) to do this.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated as I'm not really sure where to start :-)

Thanks in advance.

McChook
10-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey dude

I am not sure which way the civic engines rotate, but I suspect you will have to put the engine on the opposite side of the car as the K'series engines are clockwise and I think the civic engines are still anticlickwise. If so, it means a lot of engine bay suffling. A K-series engine will cost you a BOMB anyways, and you would be better off with a Halfcut, although you wouldn't need the wiring loom, as you could just use a Hondata. I would suspect you would want more than just horsepower, you'd also need some bigger brakes, so a halcut would be a better option - but no change from say, $15,000 for the halfcut - don't expect a conversion to be less than $20,000 all done

kleenex
10-03-2004, 11:54 AM
sorri to be noob but hondata??

McChook
10-03-2004, 11:56 AM
ECU

[[d a n n y]]
10-03-2004, 12:00 PM
2003 r's are EP's arint they?

dont they have the same mounts as the K serise?

McChook
10-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't think our Aussie models are... we get them bum, bottom of the line model 4 and 5 doors, and only the EP3 HATCH has a K20

N4CER
10-03-2004, 01:32 PM
In reading your above responses, what VTEC engine would pretty much drop straight into the engine bay of a 2003 Civic? Looking at a 1.8L engine or even 2.0L if possible?

I'm hoping some kinda of Integra engine will go in there?

And $20,000? Would that be everything including ECU, brakes & exhaust?

What engine could I drop in there for around $10,000-$15,000?

Or on the other hand I could turbo the current engine (only 88kW flywheel), anyone have an idea of approx cost for that?

Thanks guys & sorry to be annoying :?

ATSE
10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
The EP Civic Vi's are D series.... not K series....

McChook
10-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah, so you would be looking at a B20b/16b (CRV-TEC) or a B18C

[[d a n n y]]
10-03-2004, 02:01 PM
In reading your above responses, what VTEC engine would pretty much drop straight into the engine bay of a 2003 Civic? Looking at a 1.8L engine or even 2.0L if possible?

I'm hoping some kinda of Integra engine will go in there?

And $20,000? Would that be everything including ECU, brakes & exhaust?

Or on the other hand I could turbo the current engine (only 88kW flywheel), anyone have an idea of approx cost for that?

farkkk that's a lot of money...

u can do alot of stuff with that money...

if ur engine is a D serise..

u'll need custom mounts and stuff etC which will cost u a bit

then u got another option of dropping a b serise engine

10-15g's will b enuff...including exhasut and ECU and so on..

McChook
10-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Much cheaper to do a Bseries conversion than to do a K series conversion

vti-2
10-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Go the turbo option. You are obviously after more power, and after spending upto $15k on an N/A conversion i don't think you will be as happy with the results as you would with a turbo. (just my opinion). I don't know of many people that have done conversions on the 2003 Civic, and personally think you will have too many headaches (especially if you want to drop in a B18C or K-series engine).

I assume your car is manual? If yes, you got nothing to worry about if you want to boost it. Why? Cause it's manual (not auto!) and it's easy to turbo SOHC engines, in fact, it's probably in your favour you have a SOHC and not a DOHC VTEC.

On the budget above ($10-15k) you can get a killer turbo setup. That is a full custom kit with upgraded clutch etc etc and i guarantee you that you will be far happier with the money spent.

There are quite a few turbo Honda's going around here in Melbourne, and quite a few of those built by A.C.S. Engineering. They do top work and can build you an awesome turbo engine. If you want to talk to them just send A.C.S. Drag a PM and he will take care of you.

Adrian at Razztech also builds turbo Honda's, he built James' Del Sol (BLKCRX) and that is running in the 10's at the moment.

Turbo Honda's are fun and if you are after performance and street cred you will get all that with a turbo Honda. People will wonder where the **** you came from. Trust me. ;)

VTEChnique
10-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda Thailand has released a K20 Civic sedan (auto) last year... so you could import the mounts etc for that swap from the honda catalog once you know the part number - would still expect to cost over $10k though

Weq
10-03-2004, 09:50 PM
its a D-series alright, turbo is an option!
have u seen there engines bays though, farrk is all i can say, VERY small.. the d-series block fits in snugly, i wouldnt like to see how u would fit in a kseries in there..

VTEC16
10-03-2004, 11:14 PM
B-series conversion is a no brainer. Its been done a thousand times and is cost effective.

evil_mike
11-03-2004, 12:07 AM
with all the ideas that everyone here has put together on estimating the price of this conversion. Would't you think it would be a much wiser choice to actually sell your Honda Civic GLI and with that extra 15 grand you could of invested in the K20 engine, you can use it to pay the balance of on a second hand K20 Integra. Well that's my personal opinion, unless you have alot of money to blow and you appreciate the shape of the Civis, so hey, why not?

Don't get my wrong, what your thinking about doing is a very common trend in America at the moment. Where honda enthusiast are swapping the K20 into their 7th Generation Civics. But as mentioned before, I would encourage you to get a half cut because you would be needing the Type-R K20 ECU, drivetrain, suspension and any other bits and pieces that comes with it.

But with most modication trend, this conversion is fairly new, espically in a country like Australia, and not all bugs that might come up with the K20 engine will have a solution for at the moment.

McChook
11-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Sell the civic and buy something that was meant to go fast.

My opinion

[[d a n n y]]
11-03-2004, 08:56 AM
like a d13b powered breeze :P

N4CER
11-03-2004, 11:21 AM
okay from all your comments, now am liking the sound of the turbo option alot better than engine swap. i'm assuming alot here in saying no one has done this to a 7th gen civic yet? and if they have could you post approx cost, what was involved and what sort of power increase it got?

even if no one has done it yet, can anyone answer those questions for me?

also someone was talking about a "half cut", what exactly is this?

thanks again :)

Toby
11-03-2004, 12:43 PM
also someone was talking about a "half cut", what exactly is this?

thanks again :)

It is basically a front of the car, from about the dash to the front bumper there for getting eveything you need including engine, ecu, loom, etc etc....

Weq
11-03-2004, 04:49 PM
try a search on hondatech or www.turbod16.com . Im sure there are turbo 7th gens going around on those boards.

NeuroX
17-03-2004, 09:20 PM
i've got a 2002 civic gli sedan as well, and the thought of a k20 in would be really nice, but the cost factor was too much for me to handle. . . maybe later on down the track when more ppl write-off their dc5r :D

theres another idea i had to gain extra power out of our d17 engine, but i dont know how feasible it would be. . . since the d17 is non vtec sohc - bore out the engine a bit, install 1 vteckiller cams, valve spring, short 4-2-1 extractors and 2 1/2 from the extractors

maybe someone like to help me out here. i'd like to keep the car NA - makes it more interesting