PDA

View Full Version : Type-R Steering wheel on Vti-R... (anyone done this?)

Stabo
29-10-2005, 09:48 PM
G'day guys,

Before anyone or the admins jump on me, i did search on this and came up with this thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16021&highlight=steering+wheel

It basically didn't answer my question which is, is it ok to swap a Vti-R Air-Bag Steering wheel with a ITR Air bag steering wheel.

It's been established that the wheel will physically bolt ok but I want to know if it will cause air bag issues and more importantly who actually has done or knows how to do the swap?

Cheers all!
~Stab

lerroy
29-10-2005, 09:52 PM
try here

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=508078
it can be done but its very dodgey....two red wires you gotta guess

but yes can be done if you spend the time and etc..

ITRBoI
30-10-2005, 03:30 PM
dont they jsut fit striaght on??? cause they are basically the same aren't they??? well they look the same anyway......i think it should fit

lerroy
30-10-2005, 03:40 PM
it wil fit no problems

the problem is connecting the air bag

if you have a dc2 94-97 it has a ODB1 ECU all type Rs have ODB2 meaning the connection for the airbag is different 2 wires instead of 3

this is not a problem if you have a vtir that is 98-01 its just a straight swap kinda

good luck mate

fried
30-10-2005, 10:20 PM
your air bag wont fit on the ITR steering wheel. as far as i understand you cannot simply take an airbag off a steering wheel and replace it with another. the sensors and shape do not line up correctly with the impact/explosion lines on the front of the steering wheel

as for fitting the an ITR srs steering wheel on the 94-97, the SRS clips behind the steering dont match up. they should, however, mate up with 98-00 dc2 seeing as both cars utilise the same SRS system.

Stabo
30-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Cheers for the replies...

Ok so here is the issue, im talking about a 94 DC2. Can the SRS chip be changed aswell?

lerroy
31-10-2005, 06:59 AM
well fried above had a itr steering wheel in his hands....
but its was very hard to install...cutting and modifying just aint worth it and still the airbag may not work
either get the non srs voiding your insurance or just stick with the 94 one :(

if you still wanna so it or find out how to read the link i posted above to hondatech that guy put a itr in his 94

good luck

Stabo
31-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Cheers, yeh sounds like more trouble (and cost) than its worth. I might just get the outside of the stock wheel leather wrapped or something ;)

Civic Type R
31-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes the ITR momo SRS wheel fits straight onto the VTiR. Make sure you disconnect the battery first to avoid possible deployment of the SRS system.

From memory its a 19mm nut behind the stock drivers airbag and it can be tighter than that hot blonde you met on the weekend so go easy on it. Disconnect the plugs and connect the ITR wheel.

Simple job :)

p.s. try to line it all up straight too when applying the new steering wheel.