PDA

View Full Version : weird noise?

bside
30-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,

I installed new front brake pads on my car (dc4), and now it makes some weird noise. Now, i don't know if its the brake pads itself, but once i installed it, it started making this noise. for e.g I'll be driving, 60 km and then brake slowly, (3cm step on the brake) no noise, but if i have a sudden but no so quick stop on the brakes, (5cm brake) it makes a slight squeek, and then like a metal grinding noise.
I check my disc brakes and they're smooth, I can't find where the problem is? :confused:

Oh yeah I think the noise is only coming from the front left brake pad.

Brake pad brand = Ferrodo.

Any ideas guys?

bennjamin
30-10-2005, 10:47 AM
did you properly bed in the pads ? That is , attempt several low speed braking manouvers to "machine" the surface of the pads to the surface of the discs.

Also , if in doubt take the front left pad back out and look for chips or marks on the pads themselve that might be rubbing against the disc .

bside
30-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hmm, I will check that thanks bennjamin and then i'll let you know. :)
Also I should of added this to the first post, I've only done 600kms with the new brakes, so yeah. if that helps in anyway.

wynode
30-10-2005, 02:23 PM
If the pads are installed correctly and the noise IS coming from them, maybe take them out give a bit of a dust n put them back in.

As said....were the bed in properly?

Otherwise you might need to machine them.

iamhappy46
30-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Another suggestion would be lower control arm bushes or swaybar bushes.
Having new pads might be causing more weight transfer and causing the lower control arms to twist in the bushes and hit other suspension components? Have you checked the ball-joints for wear?
Just cause you fitted brake 600Kms ago, is not a reason to rule out other causes.

crispy
30-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Found this after a quick search on good ol google..kinda volvo related but you get the idea:

Brake Pad Anti-Squeal. Brake Pad Anti-Squeal Treatments. [Query:] What's your experience regarding brake pad anti-squeal treatments? I've looked at the following:

Lucas foil stick-on shim pads
Permatex spray-on elastomer for the back of the pads
Various glue-like treatments that leave a ribbon of elastomer on the back of the pads
Other techniques such as beveling the edges of the brake material, rounding off the metal backings, etc. My 740 Girlings do not use pad shim springs. I have had good luck with the foil shims, but how have you fared?

[Response 1: Benjamin ] I too, tried the Lucas foil backings, with no success at all. What finally worked on my Slaab was some cheap rubber-like adhesive shims from NAPA. They cost about $3 per wheel, and stuck to the back of the pad like the Lucas foils, however these were rubber, and work great. This is the only thing I've tried that works. I tried the Lucas foils on my MetalMasters when I got them from SAS, with no results. I then put these rubbers ones on the MM's, and presto, the first squeal-free Saab I've had in over 7 years of owning different Slaabs.

[Response 2: Phil] For squeaky brakes get some Dow Corning compound 111...it's a heavy silicone grease...real heavy and tacky...melts at 500 degrees F and put some of this on the back of the pads. It won't wash off and they'll never squeak again. Don't get any on the pads or you may not squeak again either. This stuff can also be used on anything requiring a good grease that stays put and doesn't run off from heat.

[Response 3: Ceferino Lamb] For anti-squeal, for about 10 years now I've used that thick orange or red anti-squeal goo in the squeeze bottle. I've had no brake squeals since 86, when I sold the Pig-0-Steel (Nissan 280ZX), so the goo seems to work well, and is universally applicable. I always change my own pads and disks. You can buy it at almost any large auto parts shop (Pep Boys, Grand Auto, Kragen, etc), under several brand names.

[Response 5: Adam] Try removing the pads and chamfering the all of the edges as well as removing any accumulated dust. A Dremel works well.

Heres the website for reference Stuff about brakes (http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Brakes1.html#Brake%20Pad%20Anti-Squeal)
Real sorry bout the long post, but i found this quite informative, could give you some help!

bside
31-10-2005, 12:17 AM
did you properly bed in the pads ? That is , attempt several low speed braking manouvers to "machine" the surface of the pads to the surface of the discs.

Also , if in doubt take the front left pad back out and look for chips or marks on the pads themselve that might be rubbing against the disc .

If the pads are installed correctly and the noise IS coming from them, maybe take them out give a bit of a dust n put them back in.

As said....were the bed in properly?

Otherwise you might need to machine them.

Yes i did bed them in properly. :)
I took off both wheels to be sure it wasn't me just thinking it was the left brake pad and to save time. Anyhow, i just check the brake pad for any chips or rocks, and there was nothing. Also checked the brake discs and no metal scratch markings, so all is good. Took the brake pads off, put them back on, test drive, and works fine. For what that noise was, im not sure, but its gone away.

Thanks for all the feed back guys :thumbsup: