PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take to do a engine swap

d15z1SUX
30-10-2005, 06:10 PM
whats the typical time that a car wud be off the road if u took it to a workshop and swapped the engine... 2 weeks? just that i cant bear to be a way from my car too long so im just wondering

**Ghost**
30-10-2005, 06:12 PM
depends dude...

if u got all the parts, motor mounts, nothing is missing... it could take 3 days... i've seen it done before my eyes in 2 days actually

but the common thing to happen is that parts will bemissing/fail while during the swap and u have to wait for parts to come in

if u really are that concerned i suggest

1. buy a halfcut
2. get ur mechanic to check what is missing/damaged/need replacing
3. keep driving ur car and order those parts
4. once all those parts are in take it for the sway

if ur mechanic is good enough he can do 2 days

d15z1SUX
30-10-2005, 06:13 PM
ah ic... thats alot faster than i expected... i guess the hardest part is getting everything u need

notorious_ahmie
30-10-2005, 06:19 PM
ok well wen i did my conversion it took me 4 days...only cause we needed to get some parts..plus we had a couple of probs but really..should only be a couple of days and ur off :D

saxman
30-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I've done several that have only taken a day... as long as you have all the parts you need, it really shouldn't take that long

I would be concered about a mechanic that took two days to do it with all of the parts ready to go

wynode
30-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I think mechanics usually work on more than one car/job at atime hence it takes longer ;)

saxman
30-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I guess I should rephrase that to if they'er billing you for more time than a days worth of work

**Ghost**
30-10-2005, 06:56 PM
just make sure u get the parts ready

soem ppl (the rgulars would know who) aroundhere have taken 6 months plus... reason being missng parts that are hard to source. sure u can go to honda dealer and go i want this this this and that...but thats gonna cost u a fortune

so most who are missing parts will look ovesrseas, and it takes AGES to get the parts here

classic example

broken engine bounts on a b18c took 3 months to source from USA through energy suspension

ECU-MAN
30-10-2005, 09:11 PM
well you actually havnt stated what engine they are swapping it with,

if there changing the engine with the same engine in your car, then say about 5 to 8 hours ( depending on what gets replaced ), if your doing a front cut change, and putting a different engine in, then it could take 2 days or two weeks, all depends on what engine and what car its going into.

I put a B18 into an EG in two days,

j3z3z
31-10-2005, 12:39 AM
if the place you go to is only working on your car and you have all the parts should only be 1 day. But if they get alot of work your looking at average of 2days with all the right parts supplied. But it all comes down to you or them having the right parts in supply, how experienced they are with the swap and how busy they are.

Illegal
31-10-2005, 12:41 AM
done it in less than 5 hours

incoming
31-10-2005, 06:54 AM
ahaha my old car took me about 3 months...

reason being cos i could only work on it on sundays, and me + friends would come home from sat night drunk/scattered so i cbf working on it and plus i have no car port so when i rained i stayed indoors! LOL

jackosimm
31-10-2005, 07:13 AM
from all these responses, its almost asking how long is a piece of string lol.
I think it just comes down to how much effort and time you put in, how prepared you are, and what your working with.

Perry
31-10-2005, 07:46 AM
ok just say 5hrs to take old engine out and new engine in, and mayb half a day to do wiring, and 2hrs mayb on brakes upgrade

EG5
31-10-2005, 08:14 AM
2 days.

bennjamin
31-10-2005, 08:50 AM
IF you are doing this conversion yourself...you WILL take alot mroe time than you contemplate :)

My only advice is...TAKE things slowly - and ALWAYS put all nuts/bolts in seperate packages relevant to the location on the car/engine/gearbox etc ( such as all bolts from gearbox keep in one package , and engine mount bolts keep in another etc)

ECU-MAN
31-10-2005, 10:09 PM
wuss,

just throw everything in a box, youll figure it out in the end :)

z3lda
31-10-2005, 11:23 PM
not a single person who takes a car apart will be able to put every single bolt bak.

there's always that exxtra bolt when a job is finished. lol

SiR JDM
31-10-2005, 11:44 PM
A friend of mine just finished a b18c into an EG in 4-5 hours with bout 5 guys helping out.

But thats a rare case. If your doing it yourself or with a partner with minmal experience... and you have the right tools allow a week. Its essential and recommended to change alot of things you wont come to think about. E.g. If your upgrading your brakes from a 1/2 cut, youll be bleeding the brake fluid etc. So have all your consumables ready (engine oil, mtf, brake fluid, sparkies, oil filter etc etc) and good luck