PDA

View Full Version : External Waste Gate?? Please help

Sexc86
31-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey guys i was plaaning on useing an external gate on my next motor, basically it will be a internally built d16y4 with a Garrett Gt30R. I am planning to run anywhere and up to including 18 - 20lbs of boost.

Basically What sort of External gate would be reccommended and what size? Also can these be used with electronic boost controllers such as AVCR? and can any external gate be used at any boost level or does it have to have a specific unit in there to make it function at the boost level you want? also if you want to have say 2 or 3 boost presets (low/med/high) is this possible with an external gate?

Could someone maybe give me a run down on the theory of how it works and what i need to look out for to suit the application?

Cheers guys all help is much welcome!!

Also i know this is off Topic but does anyone know where to get a Ramhorn Style or FULLRACE Style Turbo Manifold From not custom made for resonable price??

barefootbonzai
31-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Lyle mate you shouldn't have a problem. The external wastegate just works like your ex car's internal one. There will be a vacuum/boost feed on top usually for your boost controller.

As for brands i've only had experince with 38mm Tial which worked great, but i wasn't running anywhere near that amount of boost.

ProECU
31-10-2005, 12:18 PM
The TIAL gates are superb. You will not have an issue with one.

I tend to tell customers to choose a spring at 1/2 the target boost pressure, and control the remainder with a EBC.

31-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I always use the Turbosmart wastegates, they also give you the complete set of springs.

Weq
31-10-2005, 05:40 PM
tials have a good rep. no doubt.

I run a deltagate (aka deltacreep), plumbed back, and have no worries holding 16lbs atm. I use a turbosmart eboost though, which i hear is a really good controller ;)

i use a .8bar spring.

Slaz
06-11-2005, 04:23 AM
For what u need most gates will do the job fine, but spring rates are important.

I have a new 46mm Tial for sale if your keen, but for what you've described you could go smaller quite comfortably.

Slaz.