PDA

View Full Version : Turbo setup in sydney

CONAN
31-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Whats a good place in Sydney to get a decent custom turbo setup on my Honda? They must know how to tune properly as well.

I'm also thinking of getting an AVO kit and getting it fitted, but need someone to tune it over here?

Any suggestions from the people who have done it or know of such.

I'm thinking Croydon but they are very $$$

Cheers, Paul.

CONAN
31-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Mods, I have done a search, Ive read the many FI pages over the following months.

Gathered helpful info there, but I need a more direct answer.

Just letting you know guys!

Thanks

Weq
31-10-2005, 05:26 PM
any major workshop, or any performance workshop worth there weight can do u a turbo setup. If u want a kit and DIY, order a greddy or revhard or edelbrock from the US (depending on ur car).

VTi_b0i
31-10-2005, 05:29 PM
any major workshop, or any performance workshop worth there weight can do u a turbo setup. If u want a kit and DIY, order a greddy or revhard or edelbrock from the US (depending on ur car).

how much would a Greddy turbo kit for a 94 civic VTi cost? incl buying and sending to sydney?

Weq
31-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Mine cost me $2300 imported, back a couple of years ago. Just get friendly with some US guys and they will help ui out :)

Slaz
31-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I'll give Adrian @ Toda racing Australia a plug, he can help you from start to finish incl tuning and has seen many different turbo kits come and go.

Depends how far your wanting to go with your set-up, bolt on or are you talking full rebuild to suit ect?

WPN.22R
31-10-2005, 09:14 PM
what honda do you drive conan??

i still say to hell with kits... custom is the way!

e240
31-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking Croydon but they are very $$$

Never had a good impression of CAS...twice I've gone there to get quotes, twice I've been given the crap attitude. The last time, only a couple of months back, he gave me such a ridiculous quote and a couldn't care less attitude like I was an idiot.

I took my money elsewhere. I would recommend Adrian at Toda instead and they've done fantastic work with a no bull attitude.

VTi_b0i
31-10-2005, 10:08 PM
i jus want a kit to bolt-on and be safe to use daily witjout blowing the motor... at the start, dont need more then 10psi to start with till i can afford to do the internals and such... will a kit like that at around 7psi.. am i capable of getting 120kw atw? or is that too hopeful from this sort of kit?

VTC-8OY
31-10-2005, 10:28 PM
ive been trying to get a Greddy turbo kit for some time now from the US. It's not as easy as u think it is.. simply, they dunt accept paypal (safe way) from international buyers, they require you to pay by western union, money transfer etc, which is very risky and a good chance of not getting your money back if you lose it. unless your willing to risk $2000AUD+, up to you.. Advan Performance can import Greddy kits for bout $4000.. BUT, If you really want you can get a whole SSautochrome turbo kit for any Honda from the US for $1000AUD shipped, Hahahaha, but thats up to yo! buy that POS at your own risk.. :p
I think to be honest buying parts seperatley will be better and more fun, you'd probably either spend less or more than buying a kit, depending on how good you are, jus look at ebay theres heaps of the good and the bad in there..

VTC-8OY
31-10-2005, 10:42 PM
how much would a Greddy turbo kit for a 94 civic VTi cost? incl buying and sending to sydney?

$2100AUD man including s&h from the US, dunoo bout customs though, sure you'll end up payin bit more..

jimmeh
31-10-2005, 11:21 PM
only the first 200$ doesnt incurr customs duty. i paid 150 for an item that costed 350US so expect to get slugged hard.

CONAN
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
So one recommendation has been made, Adrian from Toda Racing. Where abouts is he located? Does he do custom turbo setups?

Why would you prefer a custom setup over a turbo kit, well known kits have been tested over and over and I guess thats why its kitted. To perform. i.e. AVO Stage 1/2 etc.

I'm not saying custom isn't better, but for the money and power I'll be chasing(which is not much) I'm thinking following the kit path would be more than viable.

Croydon seems very good in what they do, but to me they seem over exhausted with on going custom work and big projects. And in the end, might take to long to get what I need done. Can anyone comment on this?

CONAN
01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I've been through almost the whole Forced Induction pages, and seems to be tuning is absolutely critical when it comes to a custom setup.

Who is a good tuner in Sydney and what management system do they use? Road tuned or dynoed tuned?

Any feedback would be great

CONAN
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
what honda do you drive conan??

i still say to hell with kits... custom is the way!

I drive a civic with a B series engine, but I'm talking in regards to a custom setup for any B series engine.

I'm assuming your car has a custom turbo setup. What have you got, where did you go, and how much did they charge? P.M me if neeed be.

Cheers

saxman
01-11-2005, 12:41 PM
So one recommendation has been made, Adrian from Toda Racing. Where abouts is he located? Does he do custom turbo setups?

Why would you prefer a custom setup over a turbo kit, well known kits have been tested over and over and I guess thats why its kitted. To perform. i.e. AVO Stage 1/2 etc.

I'm not saying custom isn't better, but for the money and power I'll be chasing(which is not much) I'm thinking following the kit path would be more than viable.

Croydon seems very good in what they do, but to me they seem over exhausted with on going custom work and big projects. And in the end, might take to long to get what I need done. Can anyone comment on this?

prefabbed kits are designed to do one thing:
make the company money

with a custom kit, you can get far better components, designed to your specs, for less money

Q_ball
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
prefabbed kits are designed to do one thing:
make the company money

with a custom kit, you can get far better components, designed to your specs, for less money
agreed :thumbsup:

CONAN
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
im all ears
can someone suggest anymore workshops?

so far

1. Croydon
2. Adrian @ Toda Racing

wynode
01-11-2005, 03:30 PM

But for a low boost setup I still think a (good) turbo kit is probably a better bang for buck. But in the long run if you plan to do more mods and get more HP then might as well start with a custom setup and save yourself money.

superR
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
adrian is one of the best tuners....but he is quite expensive.... im not saying he isnt worth the extra cash but the bottom line is he is one of the more expensive tuners/mechanics out there.

try dyno dave..... not sure if he does installs and the likes but you can try.

Q_ball
01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
im all ears

so far

1. Croydon
2. Adrian @ Toda Racing
these places on ur list will set u back minimum 10k

DynoDave
01-11-2005, 04:05 PM
im all ears

so far

1. Croydon
2. Adrian @ Toda Racing
Strike No1 off the list as they really do not seem to care about the :honda:onda market anymore.No2 well what more can I say Im on his BANG FOR BUCK LIST, I have known him for many years and we still share info and use each other's gear.No3 Online Performance there Honda knowledge speaks for itself they own the fastest FWD turbo dragcar 9.0@161mph in the country and also built the power plant and developed the chassis in the fastest turbo FWD streetcar in the country need any other info on them? I think there records are enough. No4 Me forget it I would only do a drag only setup I am just to busy to even think about it but money talks.:D
Regards Dyno Dave

ALLMTR996
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Croydon are just plain rude and do not give a shit about you once they have your money. :thumbdwn: I have not read where you have given your goals on what power you are chasing now or in the furture.The other shops that have been talked about on here well there know in the industry for work on Honda's so as far as I know there are no other shops in Sydney that can build a CUSTOM Honda turbo kit.
ALLMTR996

Weq
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
VTC-BOY: Pay by bank check or money order. bank cheques are $20 to draw from ur local bank and are fairly secure. I asked the teller and she said they were safe, u can always cancel them too. Money orders (non westernunion, u gotta ask directly at the post office) are cheaper but less secure. Both these, u need to post to the person. No one will accept paypal on an item that expensive, because they incurr fee's and arnt protected against oversea's buyers.

I think for $2k, a kit is BFYB. Great introduction for forced induction hondas. And any mechanic worth his weight can install it. They come FULLY complete, every NUT BOLT AND WASHER. This is something peicing together a custom kit doesnt take into account. Ive dont both routes, and i still love my GReddy kit for its ease and rewards. Nothing beats 5hrs of work with ur mates, and getting into a totally different car :)))) Mmmmm powerrrr...

Weq
01-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah and id like to add. I dont think ANY noob should be driving a FI honda. SO much can go wrong, and care must always be taken care of. Most aftermarket ecu's dont have anywhere near the safety features that stock FI cars have. Ignoring sounds and funny noises just doesnt work im afraid. Thats why i support DIY also ;)

On the other hand, thats what great about workshops. They will only create a setup they have complete faith in... Well usually, lol. Online and toda defaintly are in that catagory. I have heard of more then one 'fast fours' feature car, which praises a workshop for its time and effort, blow up shortly after a issue.. poor babies.

VTC-8OY
02-11-2005, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=Weq]VTC-BOY: Pay by bank check or money order. bank cheques are $20 to draw from ur local bank and are fairly secure. I asked the teller and she said they were safe, u can always cancel them too. Money orders (non westernunion, u gotta ask directly at the post office) are cheaper but less secure. Both these, u need to post to the person. No one will accept paypal on an item that expensive, because they incurr fee's and arnt protected against oversea's buyers.[QUOTE]

yeah man your exactley right :thumbsup: thats what ive been told too.. anyone actually have bought a whole turbo kit from overseas n recieving it to just see some parts missing/damaged? warranty would be a bitch..

[stealth]
02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
turbo kits are a good basis to work from... well the descent ones neways..

if u didnt something custom if may prove to be more easily...

saxman
02-11-2005, 06:15 AM
But for a low boost setup I still think a (good) turbo kit is probably a better bang for buck. But in the long run if you plan to do more mods and get more HP then might as well start with a custom setup and save yourself money.
being from the US, I don't know how costs for individual parts are out there... but out here, a basic kit for a low boost set up will easily cost about 3-4 times what it would cost to put a kit together yourself that is more capable.

This, is of course, assuming you're doing it yourself, and not paying a shop to custom fab a kit. IMO, if you don't have the know how to do it yourself(it's really not that difficult), you shouldn't be doing it at all. There's just too much stuff that can go wrong without having some sort of idea as to what's going on.

CONAN
02-11-2005, 11:47 AM
For those who have the AVO stage 1 kit installed, or maybe the stage 2. How much did it cost you all up parts and labour?

How much would a decent custom turbo setup cost installed? Say to run low boost 6-8psi.

CONAN
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I think BLKCRX has gone through a custom turbo install cost and it ended up being around 13-14k

poweredbyhonda
02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Why don't you call AVO and get a quote. Do you even know what parts are included in the kit? You can take things out and that would lower the price so you can use parts of your choice (eg get rid of that extra injector, link ecu and rubber IC piping).
Also have you considered the type of ecu you are planning on using. Each workshop will tune different ecu's.
You have to let us know your goals & budget. So many parts available that work well together but each one has its limits.

CONAN
02-11-2005, 01:11 PM
poweredbyhonda
I have a rough idea on how much AVO would charge on their kits. And pricing for their ktis wasnt my first intentions, and not why I started this thread?

Simple question that was asked, Where in Sydney can I get a decent custom turbo setup and not end up payinggg huge amounts of money. And I'm sure someone from Sydney can help out.

Another question I asked was, depending on workshops, who uses what ECU etc..
If u read what I asked, you wouldnt be saying what you did.

Basically, my budget is under 10, what can be done with my price range.

superR
02-11-2005, 08:39 PM
but look at the sorta power black crx is makin!!! astronomical numbers. 13-14 k will cover alot , but most pll are not going to go for 300+kw......... honestly so far i have spent about $5900 and all i have left to do is exhaust and tune ( bout $1400 together). obviously thats is without doing internals though but i only plan on running a conservative amount of boost for a conservative power figure.
my list so far is;
550 RC injectors
Sard adjustable fuel reg
walbro 255 fuel pump
microtech lt8
front mount intercooler
intercooler piping (aluminium)+ all clamps and couplers
3"dump pipe
Gt28Rs turbo with .86 exhaust housing
LSD manifold
turbosmart type 1 BOV
turbosmart duel stage boost controller
3" cannon, 3" resonator , 3" flex pipe and 3" cat
water spray
boost gauge
new air filter
all vac tubes and t peices
and maybe someother littler items that i have forgotten.
this should give me decent power gains for a decent price....... remember you get what you spend. but spend smart.

DynoDave
02-11-2005, 09:01 PM
poweredbyhonda
I have a rough idea on how much AVO would charge on their kits. And pricing for their ktis wasnt my first intentions, and not why I started this thread?

Simple question that was asked, Where in Sydney can I get a decent custom turbo setup and not end up payinggg huge amounts of money. And I'm sure someone from Sydney can help out.

Another question I asked was, depending on workshops, who uses what ECU etc..
If u read what I asked, you wouldnt be saying what you did.

Basically, my budget is under 10, what can be done with my price range.
$10,000 I said money talks just PM me if you need anymore advice :thumbsup:
Regards Dyno Dave

CONAN
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
but look at the sorta power black crx is makin!!! astronomical numbers. 13-14 k will cover alot , but most pll are not going to go for 300+kw......... honestly so far i have spent about $5900 and all i have left to do is exhaust and tune ( bout $1400 together). obviously thats is without doing internals though but i only plan on running a conservative amount of boost for a conservative power figure.
my list so far is;
550 RC injectors
Sard adjustable fuel reg
walbro 255 fuel pump
microtech lt8
front mount intercooler
intercooler piping (aluminium)+ all clamps and couplers
3"dump pipe
Gt28Rs turbo with .86 exhaust housing
LSD manifold
turbosmart type 1 BOV
turbosmart duel stage boost controller
3" cannon, 3" resonator , 3" flex pipe and 3" cat
water spray
boost gauge
new air filter
all vac tubes and t peices
and maybe someother littler items that i have forgotten.
this should give me decent power gains for a decent price....... remember you get what you spend. but spend smart.

Any particular place mate?

Weq
03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
thats a pretty complete setup right there. shop around and be prepared for setbacks. its all part of the DIY game :) in the end, it can be cheap and very worthwhile.

superR
03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
no no particular place .... just alot of hunting around and research. i find the best way to find good products at a good price is to just talk to people...... and that is not just confined to the ozhonda forum , though its a good place to start. the way i purchased all of these thing was bit by bit........ mainly cause i lost my licence and i couldnt drive the R anyway , but more because i wanted the best product for the best price. my advice , take you time and research things, BUT always get atleast 2 opinions on things you buy and always buy them new!
james

CONAN
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM
sweet az james, cheers for the advice! any pics of your R with the turbo?

superR
03-11-2005, 08:51 PM
lol epa checks next wednesday on my car ..... i will pass for sure and i will start to take the extractors & radiator off so as i can install the manifold taht same night.... and maybe weld the retern flange for the oil , ill see how i go. all in all it will be finished in about 2 weeks and ready for tuning.......... oh yeah and by the way , epa sucks balls!
i will ppost up picks of the install ( pics of doing it) once it is finished in a couple of weeks. the good news is i have already mounted my front mount. there was a little fiddling invulved with that.

joyride
04-11-2005, 06:58 AM
if u want some workshops then heres some:

bel garage
screamin performance

umm thats all i can think of :o

CONAN
04-11-2005, 02:30 PM
screaming performance, i keep hearing that name now and again

anyway good feedback from these days? do they tune as well? Which EMS are they using?

They they charge alot?

joyride
09-11-2005, 07:30 AM
theyre pretty good, they used an EMS 4424 on my turbo sprinter. they tune aswell which is included in when you buy the computer.
they charge a fair amount but compared to other reputable shops, it is a good price.