PDA

View Full Version : What happens

_CiVIC_
01-11-2005, 09:20 AM
What happens, if one of your shock absorbers collapses??? Will the car be affected badly by this??? Would the car then be relying on the springs for support???

Zdster
01-11-2005, 10:23 AM
What do you mean by collapse? The shock itself completely gives way? In this instance the shock itself is still in position so while the spring would work extra hard I would think you would have time to pull over and check it out.

If you are refering to the shock actually falling out/coming free - although I dont really see how as the whole assembly including the spring, lca, wheel etc are all connected - I would have thought you would be in a bit of trouble as you have no support for the car at all.

_CiVIC_
01-11-2005, 10:25 AM
well when i say collapse i mean, lose all its oil, from a leakage, and therefore lose the capability of absorbing the shock properly from the road (which will then lead to a bumpy ride from that area of the vehicle), not popping out of place, just the loss of all its oil..

bennjamin
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
if the shock is not capable of resisting the movement of the piston then the static "height" with a spring isntalled is not changed - BUT dynamically (when moving and takign the bumps) the bound and rebound are adversly affected. That is when for example a lowered car bumps all over the place due to nothing controlling the dampering -

DLO01
01-11-2005, 12:19 PM
It would be very bouncy. Constant bouncing. :D

mj3610
01-11-2005, 12:20 PM
(which will then lead to a bumpy ride from that area of the vehicle)
i think thats all it can happen bro ;), most people dont know it but it was shown on ACA that 60% of people drive around with worn shocks without even knowing it and 40% of them know that the shocks are worn and still decide to drive with it (VERY DANGEROUS), i guess if what ur describing happens then u'd be driving with a piece of metal as ur suspension and support to repel shock to the car and in this case its not gonna repel anything , ur suspension would just hit ur guard harddd and if hard enough u can have an accident if ur going fast enough.

_CiVIC_
01-11-2005, 10:05 PM
hrmmmmzz well my mum is complaining the civic is a little too bouncy for her liking, so I think I might take it to Pedders in the morning for a suspension check.. i'll let you's know how it went :) :wave: cheers for the responses guyz :)