PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

jared
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey guys ive heard to many say to me lately around where i live askin is it worth spending $120 for spark plugs for minimal gains so i thought id share ya my thoughts and see wat else other people reckon.....Ive heard this question commented on way too many times

the low down on spark plugs are that if your car is standard, use standard.

Platinum plugs arn't worth the effort of pulling the old plugs out and wacking the new ones in, as they don't last long and create very very very little power gains.

ive seen and had very good experiences with iridium tipped plugs, though it was shown on a dyno, i still couldnt tell a difference except the car seems to run a little cheaper in milage.

Direct fire ignition systems are best strayed from until your running high horse power as it'll just burn a hole in your pocket for such a small gain.

Expensive plugs like HKS ect, are the same as NGK plugs, no increase or decrease as its the same gear with a bigger brand.

MSD systems and spark boosters ect; this is an age old debate, well, yes, id does give you a little more power and economy, but on a stock car, you wont feel it as the box's weight will take care of that.

So in the end whats the best thing to do? IMHO, just stick to standard plugs and tune your car accordingly to get the best out of it.

iamhappy46
02-11-2005, 06:39 PM
WTF?? Platinum plugs REDUCE power over regular plugs but they last MUCH MCUH longer. Mitsubishi use Platinum's on their V6 back bank of cylinders, because they last for 100,000Km's and you need to remove the inlet manifold to get to them. Imagine doing that every service?? Platinum take much longer to corrode over regular plugs, with a lower arc over voltage, they last the distance.

Iridiums are known to make power and also last much longer than standard plugs. Properly gapped, they allow a small increase in ignition timing which will yield a higher power output and better fuel economy.

Expensive plugs ARE different... made by the same well known companies but HKS do make engineering changes to the plugs(for copyright reasons) but basically, they make bugger all difference unless you have a 1000Hp GTR or Supra etc

MSD systems/spark booster/direct fire ignition basically improve exhaust emissions, which will yield mildly better fuel consuption.

Ultimately, it all depends on the owners pocket and what they can afford.

LowEk
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
hey what about a 1000hp honda civic fwd of course???

jared
02-11-2005, 06:56 PM
WTF?? Platinum plugs REDUCE power over regular plugs but they last MUCH MCUH longer. Mitsubishi use Platinum's on their V6 back bank of cylinders, because they last for 100,000Km's and you need to remove the inlet manifold to get to them. Imagine doing that every service?? Platinum take much longer to corrode over regular plugs, with a lower arc over voltage, they last the distance.

Iridiums are known to make power and also last much longer than standard plugs. Properly gapped, they allow a small increase in ignition timing which will yield a higher power output and better fuel economy.

Expensive plugs ARE different... made by the same well known companies but HKS do make engineering changes to the plugs(for copyright reasons) but basically, they make bugger all difference unless you have a 1000Hp GTR or Supra etc

MSD systems/spark booster/direct fire ignition basically improve exhaust emissions, which will yield mildly better fuel consuption.

Ultimately, it all depends on the owners pocket and what they can afford.
true i agree wif everything you have siad my opinions are just based on experience and that its wat your prepared to pay will determine what power gain you may get

Flanderz
03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Get some NGK Irdiums, good stuff they are, buy from ebay for $40 for a set of 4 & you can't complain or go wrong.

Weq
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
just use standard ngk's-bkr6e's, or 7e's if ur hi-po. $16 a set and change em every 10k or so. everything else is a waste imo.

**Ghost**
03-11-2005, 10:11 PM
just adding a question to this thread...

what does NGK Iridiums offer in terms of advantages? shelf life? gains?| or both?

how long do iridiums last|?

iamhappy46
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I have seen iridiums last 80,000+Kms(still going) of hard abuse in a customers VX Commodore company car.
I have used them in all of my cars since Iridiums were released, with power gains back2back on a dyno just by fitting them.

civiceg9
04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
standard iridiums last for 100,000kms
iridium IX will last for around 60,000kms to 80,000kms
The diameter of iridium electrode is very small hence reduce voltage require and will provide a better spark and hence a better burn. This will contribute to LEV hence why some new cars are fitted with iridium.

Bascially you want good spark to provide you with a good clean burn which will give you the maximum power all the time.

I think this have been covered many times somewhere. Do a search