PDA

View Full Version : trouble starting my car

EGB16A
02-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I been having trouble starting my car recently, and i wanna get to the bottom of things. It only happens when i have had the car running and turn it off for short period, eg. filling up petrol, or turn the car off to go into the shops.... i'm talking around 5mins. When i go to start it again it kicks over as per normal, then dies in tha ass. Sometimes i can leave it for 30sec or so and kick it over, and providing my foot is on the accelerator, it won't die. But this definatly isn't normal.

If it has been left for a while it is fine, eg. in the morning it kicks over perfectly.

just wondering if anyone else has had this trouble, or if anyone can offer some info? Can it be because of a fuel pump, or crappy filter?

thanks guys

ITRBoI
02-11-2005, 10:40 AM
worned out injectors can contributes to the problem, cause it not burn fuel probably, and hence excess fuel is not burning probably

crispy
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I would go to a mechanic, or even repco/autobarn and get a charging system check. Basically they diagnose the health of your battery, health of the altenator, health of starter motor and diagnose if you have any problems. I would probably start here as this is a free service (at least it is at my work), and it will knock out several possibilities.

notorious_ahmie
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
do what crispy said to get rid of all the possibilties...i know in my car cold starts it takes ages to turn on..just gotta keep kicking it ova...but with my prob its the throttle body that needs cleanin i believe..

FR33K
02-11-2005, 11:56 AM
thats your main fuel relay id say.. very common problem in hondas

bennjamin
02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
yup sounds like main fuel relay - located under the drivers side of the dash. Either take it to Hannys or another mech. and get it re-soldered or buy a new one from Honda.

Please dont try to start up your xcar constantly, as this will fry your igniter unit + coil inside the dizzy ( another $300 you dont have to spend...trust me i know!)

wynode
02-11-2005, 12:03 PM
do what crispy said to get rid of all the possibilties...i know in my car cold starts it takes ages to turn on..just gotta keep kicking it ova...but with my prob its the throttle body that needs cleanin i believe..
Car should turn over first time everytime.......or else something is wrong :)

But if it is starting up and then dying after that, I would say its not the battery or starter motor. I'm pointing to the main relay also.

notorious_ahmie
02-11-2005, 12:07 PM
nah with mine turns on first time but it just takes a few of the tik tik tik sound ;) and then revs drop down to 200 for like 10 secs then 1100

EGB16A
02-11-2005, 01:43 PM
thanks guys, i'll check it out... r they expensive to replace?

wynode
02-11-2005, 02:39 PM
No need to replace if its just the solder joints.

Just take out, redo solder joints and put back in :)

You could even swap with another car to confirm :)

ECU-MAN
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I recon its the PGMFI relay like the fellas mention above, or the Igniter, since fixing the main relay is very cheep to fix eliminate that.

twofruitz
03-11-2005, 12:47 PM
may be the solinoid????

tinkerbell
03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
or the flux capacitor? :rolleyes:

no seriously - another vote for main relay, esp. since it is only when car is warm/hot...

SiR JDM
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
This definatly sounds like main fuel relay problem. I had the same problem recently, just resoldered the cracked solder joints and she starts fine everytime now. Like Win said, just borrow a friends one (most Honda's are compatible) and take their's out and replace it with yours and you'll then know for sure.

Its located right near your fuse box and boot release. Its a brown connector. Take it out and if you see some cracks in the solder, then you know that the (or part of the) problem. Check it out, if it has cracks either resolder it or if your not confident enough go buy one from wreckers with all solder joints intact and replace it. Should solve your problem, if it doesn't come back and tell us what happens then :)

OzSir2
18-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I have the same annoying problem too. Thanks for letting us know what to look for...what is the size of the connector? Any other hints in identifying it...does the connector come out completely or will there be wiring attached to it? I think I'll have a go at fixing it myself.

michael_antoi
18-01-2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329H050-med.jpg

Main relay looks like this

OzSir2
18-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for that man. I'll give it a go.

OzSir2
19-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Well I think I have fixed it. It's only early days but don't have the problem so far. I tried to add a pic of the underside of the relay (circuit board) but I don't seem to be authorised to do it. I simply put the soldering iron onto each point until the solder melted...I saw no need to add more since there was heaps in the first place.

todaek9
19-01-2006, 11:31 PM
check the basic....
Spark plug - number? 6 or 7?
Distributor position.
Battery.
TB position.

See how it goes.

shmivic
20-01-2006, 06:47 PM
is the relay in the same location on eg4

Nuttz
21-01-2006, 09:06 AM
on my relay you couldnt see the cracks in the solder. So you should just make sure u resolder all the board again. Not just a visual check.