PDA

View Full Version : b16a2 into breezE?

TYPE-ONE
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
just sold my eh9. now im looking at putting a b16a into a breeze. a mate of mine has the half cut from eg6 sir ii.

i'd just like to know how hard it is to do the conversion in a breeze. thanks

tRipitaka
02-11-2005, 06:43 PM
look at the b16a faq

SiR JDM
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Type One

Ive had a b16a2 > breeze hybrid.. it was my first Honda.. add me to your msn or somethin if you want to talk to me further bout it, or you can read my faq in the sticky section, or if you dont use msn PM me any queiries you have regarding it.

Simply put -
Yes it is possible. Depending what you plan to do with it of course, I wouldn't recommend it but there are many variables id be happy to discuss with you.

TYPE-ONE
02-11-2005, 07:18 PM
thanks i'll check the FAQ

ToFuBoi
02-11-2005, 10:45 PM
i will still smoke you type one...... s2 fo' da EG yo!

Paul1985
02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Type One

Ive had a b16a2 > breeze hybrid.. it was my first Honda.. add me to your msn or somethin if you want to talk to me further bout it, or you can read my faq in the sticky section, or if you dont use msn PM me any queiries you have regarding it.

Simply put -
Yes it is possible. Depending what you plan to do with it of course, I wouldn't recommend it but there are many variables id be happy to discuss with you.

Why???
Just curious.. werent u happy with the results?

[[d a n n y]]
02-11-2005, 11:50 PM
hes just talking about the procedures..

where lots of things can go wrong.

tRipitaka
02-11-2005, 11:53 PM
more chance of something going wrong than being successful..

Paul1985
03-11-2005, 12:17 AM
ah i see :)

sivic
03-11-2005, 01:20 AM
yeah, it would be alot less hassle to do it into a gli.

**Ghost**
03-11-2005, 01:45 AM
just to elaborate for the thread starter, the things that can go wrong between a b16a and a Breeze usually all arise from the fact that Breeze is a Carby setup whereas B16a is a EFI (electronic fuel injection setup)

as far as i know this would involve more hassles with wiring, change of fuel tank at the very least

dcdc
03-11-2005, 11:23 AM
just to elaborate for the thread starter, the things that can go wrong between a b16a and a Breeze usually all arise from the fact that Breeze is a Carby setup whereas B16a is a EFI (electronic fuel injection setup)

as far as i know this would involve more hassles with wiring, change of fuel tank at the very least

So does that mean that any EFI engine swap into a Breeze is a no go?

crispy
03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
its not so much a no go.. just a little more tricky due to the whole changing of the fuel tank and wiring etc.

dcdc
03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
So wiring and a fuel tank conversion are the major hurdles involved yeah?

What needs to be done about the wiring specifically?

civ_sik
03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
lots as its not efi its carb so pretty much the whole car needs to be redone.

civ_sik
03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
So does that mean that any EFI engine swap into a Breeze is a no go?

haha no basically it means if your doing it yourself you actually need to know what you are doing... then its easy if you do... but if you dont you will fuk it up... ;)

[[d a n n y]]
03-11-2005, 12:14 PM
well i think this topic has been covered so many times..

i suggest u do a good search on the site..

garett
03-11-2005, 12:16 PM
well i now own the breezeb16a2 which james (sirjdm) built and have owned it since march and havent had one problem touch wood of course. but james must have ironed out all the creases in my car. cos its very reliable and fun

[[d a n n y]]
03-11-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953

try this thread
i did my conversion back in 03

i did it all @ home etc

so check it out

mini_s2000
03-11-2005, 12:21 PM
and garrets eg it the hottest i've seen around!
but i'm helping a mate out at the moment with a conversion and it's proved be a time consuming job... but thats only due to lack of funds and little knowledge.

dcdc
03-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Seems like I need to look into buying just the EFI wiring and fuel tank from one of the EFI EG's to swap in an EFI drivetrain if I'm not doing a D/B-series swap... Am I correct?

-Thanks for the replies so far, they have been very helpful.

-edit: I read the Breeze-EG6 swap in the link above -- are the Breeze and EG6 crossmembers different?

Thanks again.

Steer^Gimic
03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
and garrets eg it the hottest i've seen around!
but i'm helping a mate out at the moment with a conversion and it's proved be a time consuming job... but thats only due to lack of funds and little knowledge.

lol. and lack of help. funds arent a problem. its something called patience.

SiR JDM
03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Why???
Just curious.. werent u happy with the results?

There are many reasons (alot personal) as to why the breeze is a poor base model to start with for a conversion (IMO), but it all depends on your goals for the project.

The breeze lacks alot, some of which is more important to some people than to others. Lack of EFi, front rear disc assembly (rear drum assembly), no rear sway bar. Now that may be the same as a GL (or Gli if you discount the EFI system) but the breeze further lacks interior options and creature comforts. Manual mirrors, manual windows, no air con, no remote central locking (or central locking) yucky colour seats/trim, tacho-less cluster etc. For myself, alot of those became a problem and a hassel over time.

If your building a track car, interior/power features/air con etc are not as bigger issue as a daily driver, also you'd be upgrading things like brakes/MC, suspension, sway bars etc etc.

The cost of EFI, disc upgrade can insome cases cost as much as the difference between an SI/VTi plus you get all the comforts (power windows mirrors (sunroof for Vti), nicer trim, air con, central locking (with remote), immobiliser, rear speakers (vti), cup holder etc etc. Also rear sway bar and a couple more minor features.
The original cost of buying an Si/Vti over a breeze, to me is definatly worth it for these extra features and especially if later on you try to add alot of these you will not have the same quality, finish and will likely end up costing you more.

Thats pretty much my 2c. on the issue.

michael_antoi
03-11-2005, 07:40 PM
well i'm soon to be doing the swap

not a b16a but a d15b (130hp vtec)

you just need to do a lot of reading

with the efi conversion, it's no huge deal if your breeze has an ecu

luckily mine does so that part of the wiring (AFAIK) doesn't need replacing.

with the fuel tank there are two options:

1. you can add an inline fuel pump, and you can get a fuel pump for pretty cheap compared to an eg efi fuel tank; however, you need to keep the tank above 1/4 full. Speak to Waymad on these forums he's done a swap this way.

2. you can source an eg efi fuel tank, now this has the fuel pump inside and no need to keep it 1/4 full etc...

do some reading on the wiring, i did and will be doing some more...

i have plenty of online resources for carby to efi swaps and just swaps in general so if u need anything just shoot me a pm.

yeh i do agree, breeze is a bit of a bitch to do in terms of efi to carby but if u have the patience and time then it can be done...

good luck with it

dcdc
03-11-2005, 07:53 PM
well i'm soon to be doing the swap

not a b16a but a d15b (130hp vtec)

you just need to do a lot of reading

with the efi conversion, it's no huge deal if your breeze has an ecu

luckily mine does so that part of the wiring (AFAIK) doesn't need replacing.

with the fuel tank there are two options:

1. you can add an inline fuel pump, and you can get a fuel pump for pretty cheap compared to an eg efi fuel tank; however, you need to keep the tank above 1/4 full. Speak to Waymad on these forums he's done a swap this way.

2. you can source an eg efi fuel tank, now this has the fuel pump inside and no need to keep it 1/4 full etc...

do some reading on the wiring, i did and will be doing some more...

i have plenty of online resources for carby to efi swaps and just swaps in general so if u need anything just shoot me a pm.

yeh i do agree, breeze is a bit of a bitch to do in terms of efi to carby but if u have the patience and time then it can be done...

good luck with it

That's exactly what I need to hear :thumbsup:
The car has already been purchased and I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling it to buy another car.

Would you mind sharing some of those online resources you mentioned? I'm sure others will find this helpful too.

Also, what's an easy way of knowing if the breeze has an ecu?

Thanks.

michael_antoi
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
umm i'm not exactly sure, check behind ur glove box.

depends on ur year i think

mines a 94 so..

mini_s2000
03-11-2005, 10:24 PM
lol. and lack of help. funds arent a problem. its something called patience.
lol... this is my mate that i'm helping

SiR JDM
03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
umm i'm not exactly sure, check behind ur glove box.

depends on ur year i think

mines a 94 so..

the 94 breezes are almost effectivly "Gli" models.
They are the 1.5 and EFi, as aposed to pre 94 breezes which are carbi 1.3's.

Your 1.3 wont have an ECU (someone please verify this although I am almost certain)

michael_antoi
03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
well mines a dual carb with an ecu so what does that make me?

:p

Paul1985
03-11-2005, 11:39 PM
some good points james. i think the breeze is the way to go if u can get it super cheap... otherwise id take your advice with going an EFI with the slightly better interior and features (all AUDM EG interior is ugly anyway IMO) u do get the p/windows etc though.

Im getting a breeze but the integra dash is just awaiting installment :D i dont need to p/windows etc and the carbys not gonna bother me.

If you already have the breeze. I say go for it.. Everyones telling u that its more of a hassle to do on a carby, but you already own the breeze. It will be a little bit of extra work and money but it wont cost an extra arm and a leg, it only costs around $300 for used parts doesnt it? If your capable of doing an engine swap then im sure you would be capable of also doing the carby -> EFi conversion at the same time..

Good luck anyway..

SiR JDM
04-11-2005, 12:04 AM
To be honest Mr Antoi, the later breezes are a bit of a headache to me. All technical information on the internet says they are 1.5 litre 4 cylinder single point injected (Method is Electronic) engines , whilst the pre 94 are 1.3 litre 2 cylinder single carburettor (Method is Mechanical) engines. Perhaps you have have a 93 BUILD, but registered as a 94?

From my experience with breezes (this is just my own theory) they seem to be the MISC car for Honda. After 93 ive seen with my own eyes and been in Breezes some with no features, some with ONLY aircon, some with ONLY sunroof (no aircon or other electrics), some with OEM central locking AND immobiliser but nothing else. The breeze are really a headf**k for me. I would not be suprised (not sayings its happened) but that if you do have a 1.5 dual carb that its the GL engine and branded as a breeze. The breeze range as soooo inconsistant you never REALLy know hehe ..

Paul, your right. My post was very centralized from my own thoughts and experience as well as fabricated around my own personal needs I like to have in an Car. (Interior is important to me). I agree tho if you already have a breeze, stay with it and work on it. But for the original poster if your after a breeze as base model (and havn't bought it yet), unless its super cheap personally id stay away from it. GL isn't MUCH better but it gets my vote 10/10 times over a Breeze. I know here in vic breezes dont go for much less than GL and even SI/VTi (ive seen breezes sell for asking price of 8-9). However ive heard in Syd you can pick them up for much less.. < 5k mark. If thats the case then for sure, but as a melb boy from my experience (i didn't pay anywhere near 8-9 for my breeze tho) its worth that little bit more for a more comfortable, user friendly and less of a headf**k bass to start the conversion.

If your swapping the engine out buying a high km SI/VTi is a great idea. But dont rush into it, check out everything non engine related before hand.
Suspension issues (leaks, bushes)
Braking System (warped discs etc)
Chassis (bent/damaged chassis)
All electrical issues
etc etc

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:09 AM
yeh the breeze is hella confusing for me as well

especially in terms of asking questions regarding whats needed for wiring harnesses

some say i only need the engine harness, some say my other wiring harnesses are insufficient...

asking on the overseas forums is even more of a nightmare.

Paul1985
04-11-2005, 01:49 AM
i just wanna say.. if i could hand out rep points, one would be thrown your way.. lol
great info.

i think it all depends on the purpose of the car along with budget. There are just too many paths you can go down with the EG, i think james summed it up perfectly.

SiR JDM
04-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Cheers Paul =)

Your right. Once you have a purpose and budget set, then your paths with hybrids are aloot clearer.

siksivic
04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Mate just did the conversion had a 1992 breeze single carb and put in SirII eg9 half cut. My mechanics did it with very little hassles .. Provinding you get a complete half cut. The only thing that you need to get is a EFI fuel tank + pump and preferably efi fuel lines therefore saving you modifing your own ones. They finished the whole thing in two days , The only hassle they had was with the wiring of the tank to the relay . Good luck

dcdc
08-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the great info and advice guys!

[[d a n n y]]
08-11-2005, 11:32 PM
James All Cars Have Ecu

michael_antoi
09-11-2005, 07:49 AM
you sure the 1.3 single carbs have ecu's?

[[d a n n y]]
09-11-2005, 08:42 AM
you sure the 1.3 single carbs have ecu's?

yes have a lool under your passenger side dash.

TYPE-ONE
09-11-2005, 07:33 PM
thx ppls