PDA

View Full Version : problems with CF bonnets

kayot1k
02-11-2005, 08:30 PM
this is for all the guys who have experiences with cf bonnets

hey you guys just got a cf bonnet from yours truly Hondar.

anyways he mentioned that sometimes after you install them they dont sit flush and might sit abit high which leaves a gap.
i was told you can adjust the latch and the rubber stoppers to make it sit lower.

when i installed mine and closed it, it closed fine no dramas that i was happy cus i didnt hafta fiddle around, but when i open it with the bonnet latch the bonnet jumps up.

i was wondering if it was because the bonnet is heaps lighter than the stock one or is it because the bonnet sits abit lower than usual giving it like momentum to shoot up.
im asking this because when it jumps to its max height (the height before you hafta open the lever by hand ) it falls back down again putting strain on the latch hence causing it to break ? im getting bonnet pins installed anyway, reading about cf bonnet dramas im starting to get worried.

:D

AP1 F20c
02-11-2005, 09:15 PM
The reduced weight is one contributing factor but the main reason is the OE latch and spring catch were designed for the OE bonnet which is much heavier. Hence when you release the catch, it'd sorta have a more significant "popping" effect.

This is the same/similar effect with the boot/trunk lid where an OE spoiler is installed, the boot springs are replaced giving it more "bounce" for the increased weight from the spoiler. Now, if the spoiler was removed without changing back to the non-spoiler springs. The boot will replicate that same "popping" effect as the bonnet.

DLO01
03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
but when i open it with the bonnet latch the bonnet jumps up.

i was wondering if it was because the bonnet is heaps lighter than the stock one or is it because the bonnet sits abit lower than usual giving it like momentum to shoot up.
im asking this because when it jumps to its max height (the height before you hafta open the lever by hand ) it falls back down again putting strain on the latch hence causing it to break ?
:D
I have a CF bonnet from hondar as well. Its excellent quality in all ways. Of course the bonnet jumps up when your release the bonnet latch, the CF bonnet is significantly lighter then the Stock one, hence it will jump up, its not rocket science. When it does fall back down like you say it wont put strain on the latch. Its not that weak. Just think of it this way, when you push the bonnet down to close it your emmitting the same amount of force on it arnt you? And its a lighter bonnet to, so the force comming down is not as much. Either way any excessive force will be delt with by the rubber stoppers if you have adjusted them right.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Mr. Focus
03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
i have just installed my CF bonnet and have had no troubles so far. will let ya know when i open and shut it a few times :D

lerroy
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
yep mins is also no problem just put it down then push it down to lock :P

DLO01
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
i have just installed my CF bonnet and have had no troubles so far. will let ya know when i open and shut it a few times :D
Ohhh... can wait to see it on the cruise. :thumbsup:

[[d a n n y]]
03-11-2005, 12:15 PM
my cf bonnet is heavier than my OEM bonnet.

redliner
03-11-2005, 12:22 PM
rofl danny
now that beats the whole purpose of gettin a CF bonnet

twofruitz
03-11-2005, 12:46 PM
]']my cf bonnet is heavier than my OEM bonnet.

:) at least it looks good :)

Pogi
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
:) at least it looks good :)
rice rice baby :p

btw kayotk...i gotta see ur cf bonnet..didnt notice it last time

kayot1k
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
yeh thats cus i just got it like two days ago.

dont worry i fixed my paranoia ....

anyway its not the fall down, its when it reaches maximum height it tuggs on the latch. besides its only fibreglass how strong can it be.

btw how is it rice.

ACTI0NMAN-1
03-11-2005, 05:52 PM
pics YO!

DLO01
03-11-2005, 06:01 PM
dont worry i fixed my paranoia ....

anyway its not the fall down, its when it reaches maximum height it tuggs on the latch. besides its only fibreglass how strong can it be.
Thats cool you have fixed it. :thumbsup:
Ok I know what you mean now. Don't worry, fibreglass is strong if its used the right way. And I am sure the latch is anchored well in the fibreglass.

lerroy
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
rice pfft its jdm yo :P

they are pretty strong to a degree
dont leave it open on the holder thing for to long also casue like if you leave it for a few days it will warp and bend :(

Mr. Focus
04-11-2005, 08:25 AM
i take it this is from experience lerroy?

heres my new bonnet....just for deano (sorry its a shite pic)

http://www.coastcars.net/phpBB2/files/resized_-_100_3406.jpg

lerroy
04-11-2005, 08:42 AM
well another person on this forum...:P

looks really good mate :P nice work

Mr. Focus
04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
cheers :D im still copping the 'someone forgot to paint your bonnet' jokes

lerroy
04-11-2005, 09:21 AM
yeah you get that hey
and ppl go what happend...or that looks wrong :( annoying hehe

DjRob
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
what are you usuing to maintain the color of ur cf bonnet? My friends one is starting to look faded in some angles.. He has tried fiberglass polish, normal polish, etc etc but still doesnt get rid of that plastic faded look.

DLO01
04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
i take it this is from experience lerroy?

heres my new bonnet....just for deano (sorry its a shite pic)
Yeh, mick. Nice bonnet, projectors too, and corners. V nice.
Need to get a couple of photos with ours together. Two generations of CRX's and the same colour scheme. Remeber my TE37's, well I am painting them dull back.

DLO01
04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
what are you usuing to maintain the color of ur cf bonnet? My friends one is starting to look faded in some angles.. He has tried fiberglass polish, normal polish, etc etc but still doesnt get rid of that plastic faded look.
I just keep mine waxed all the time. Not that I drive my car much. Maybe others can help.