PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charged or Not

Adagio
03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I have just returned from 5 weeks o/s and my May 2005 built Euro Accord has been sitting doing nothing all that time, it has only 5,000 on the clock. Before using the car and as a precaution I noted the battery charge indicator on the battery stated the battery needed charging. I gave it an initial 4 hours with a trickle charge of not more than 5 amps - indicator still showed battery needed charging. - Gave it another 2 hours charge AFTER a 30 minute run in the car. Q. are these battery charge indicators reliable? The cheap battery charger shows the battery is charged sufficiently and the car starts just fine so who do I believe? :rolleyes:

ITRBoI
03-11-2005, 10:25 AM
in the first plavce you start your car every 3 days or so to prevent battery from dying out....but if you can started already as mention from above....let it run for 30 mins or so.....than the battery can charge itself while driving or jusr running engine. Car battery is like a rechargeable AA betteies if you dont use it for a while it will die out.... The battery is charged up by the alternator. but once the car starts up it should be fine!!! happens to me all the time...

aaronng
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I've let it sit for 4 weeks before. But yeah, like ITRBoI said, once the battery is charged enough to get your car started, let the alternator charge your car for you.

Moving to Technical.

Adagio
03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys, not possible to start the car every 3 days while O/S but get the picture. By using the trickle charge I was trying to be kind to the battery. Adagio

ECU-MAN
03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
dude, it will take the car 30 min to charge your batt up to the level it was before you started it. cranking your engine ( cold ) will drain a bit from your batt.

aimre
04-11-2005, 12:14 AM
plus i thought ur battery only charges the car OVER a certain RPM, like it need the RPMs before that just to run the damn thing

Adagio
06-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Blue is the colour of success. Thanks all especially Ecu-man for the advice. Finally after 300 km + the damned battery indicator i.e hydrometer has turned blue which means the battery is properly charged. So the lesson learned is give the car a good run after an extended storage period.
Adagio