PDA

View Full Version : Spoon panel air filter

vividjazz
03-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Fitted up a new Spoon Sports panel air filter yesterday.

Stock air filter was dirty and required replacement.

K&N don't do a panel that fits the pre facelifted Jazz despite their website saying that it fits the '04 1.5L Jazz.

Immediate very noticable improvement. Vehicle revs faster, requires less throttle to achieve the same speeds, takes off more smoothly (CVT Jazz) and even idles better.

Whether the difference is just the result of a clean filter or the different filter I don't know but I don't remember the car being like this when new.

spoon fit
03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
mine one on the way

FIT
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
sound any different?

vividjazz
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
mine one on the way

Post up what you think of it after you get it.

Is your stock filter very dirty? or are you running another aftermarket filter already?

Curious to know difference between clean/new stock and this filter.

vividjazz
03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
sound any different?

My sound system is too loud to notice but does seem to make a different sound close to redline (the only time I can hear the engine). I've got extra sound deadening too as part of the stereo.

claymore
03-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Here in Thailand K& N has a direct replacement just drops right in cost was $30.00 usd . Sound is like he said about the spoon you can hear it better when the Vtec come in.

MRFIT
03-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Post up what you think of it after you get it.

Is your stock filter very dirty? or are you running another aftermarket filter already?

Curious to know difference between clean/new stock and this filter.

the difference between dirty and new filter is VERY significant.... refer to thread below.... :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29807

even though mine isn't stock airbox.... but just look at the colour difference of the two filters....

Fizz
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Does Spoon or K&N have any panel filter for the 2005 jazz?

ahcash
04-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Does Spoon or K&N have any panel filter for the 2005 jazz?

Dun think so, the last time I checked, the only have the previous model.. They could have released one then.. not very sure...

ahcash
04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
the difference between dirty and new filter is VERY significant.... refer to thread below.... :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29807

even though mine isn't stock airbox.... but just look at the colour difference of the two filters....

Ohh well, that thread was closed due to too many talk about air filters..

Poeter
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
How often should air filters be replaced?

MRFIT
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
just check it when ever you service your car, if its dirty, give it a rinse or replace it... :)

Poeter
04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Can rinsing be done on the stock air filter?

Jus-10
04-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah if you want soggy paper....

Spoon and Trust do a replacement panel for pre-update.

For current models both Mugen and K&N do replacement panels.....

civiceg9
04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Can rinsing be done on the stock air filter?
stock filter is made from paper u can't wash it.

I think the spoon filter is also made from paper :confused:

Fizz
04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
could someone point out where i can get (locally in australia) the K&N panel filter for current model jazz?

vividjazz
04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
could someone point out where i can get (locally in australia) the K&N panel filter for current model jazz?

Anywhere that sells K&N. They'll have to order it in as they won't have as a shelf item like a K&N panel for a Falcon or Commodore.

Listed on the K&N site as '04 1.5L Honda Jazz but only fits facelifted '05 Jazz.

Autobarn, Auto1, Supacheap, Robos, Repco, etc.

kentris
07-11-2005, 05:18 AM
Hmm, I did A LOT of research into relacement filters for the 05 jazz.

The ones on the market now for the 05 jazz is:

buddyclub's hurricane stainless steel filter (can be found at buddyclub.org) and I think they're based in Singapore but they're happy to ship internationally.

mugen panel - apparently it's really good, however is expensive.

fwyn
14-11-2005, 01:38 AM
simota filter???? k&n
no matter how good the drop in filter, wont be as good as pod filter

Hmm, I did A LOT of research into relacement filters for the 05 jazz.

The ones on the market now for the 05 jazz is:

buddyclub's hurricane stainless steel filter (can be found at buddyclub.org) and I think they're based in Singapore but they're happy to ship internationally.

mugen panel - apparently it's really good, however is expensive.

kentris
14-11-2005, 03:37 AM
obviously it won't be as good as the pod filter, but at least for those who don't want to change their factory airbox for reasons (e.g. car still under warranty etc) then changing panel filter would be idealistic.

Quite a lot of people who've changed their stock filter to aftermarket report that the cars are slightly more responsive than the stock filters.

muli
14-11-2005, 10:27 AM
i noticed no difference with a my trust panel filter, just that it reved abit more happily over the 5500rpm and didnt just die there, also a high pitch noise when vtec engages, with a pod its very annoying. With CAI i got a noticable increase and i think tony had a similar experience.

I just bought a second pod on the weekend to change in between cleaning of my current one, OMG its made a difference most i like is the friggin loud sucking noise it makes idling when standing at the lights, with the aircon on it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

fwyn
15-11-2005, 06:18 PM
i ve no doubt aftermarket oem filter is better than oem one. issit worth to change for just a slight increase that u cant really feel while paying more? just stick with oem filter. i use replacement oem air box filter, for me i feel its a waste. this is just my point of view.

obviously it won't be as good as the pod filter, but at least for those who don't want to change their factory airbox for reasons (e.g. car still under warranty etc) then changing panel filter would be idealistic.

Quite a lot of people who've changed their stock filter to aftermarket report that the cars are slightly more responsive than the stock filters.

muli
16-11-2005, 06:40 AM
i ve no doubt aftermarket oem filter is better than oem one. issit worth to change for just a slight increase that u cant really feel while paying more? just stick with oem filter. i use replacement oem air box filter, for me i feel its a waste. this is just my point of view.

But i dont see $90 as a big loss so why not. At low revs you wont feel jack, its only at higher revs near the 5000rpm to cut-off it runs smoother and doesnt sound like its running out of puff

fwyn
16-11-2005, 01:48 PM
But i dont see $90 as a big loss so why not. At low revs you wont feel jack, its only at higher revs near the 5000rpm to cut-off it runs smoother and doesnt sound like its running out of puff

oem one is how much? $40 or $50 or $60? if oem is $40 thats a saving of more than 50%, if $60 for oem thats a saving of more than 30%. certainly not much at all in dollar figure but in percentage wise it means something.

claymore
16-11-2005, 02:45 PM
fwyn if you change your oem filter at 5000 km like I do and you keep your car for even 5 years you save much more with the K&N because you don't replace it you just clean it. How much will you spend on oem filters in 5 years ??? with K&N after your first investment and re-oiling supplies it is FREE. Don't you like to save money and even get SOME HP improvement at the same time?

Jazzle
16-11-2005, 03:12 PM
btw,, i think spoon released air cleaner for the updated version

checkout www.spoon.jp

hey just wanna ask,, do the aftermarket reusable filters wear out and not performing as good after a certain time of use??

muli
16-11-2005, 03:41 PM
according to service manual the filter has to be changed every 40,000kms.

If the average person drives 20,000kms over 5 yrs thats 120,000kms which is 2 filters so roughly.
so theres not much of a saving the oil is like less than $10 and turps well thats not expensive.

oem one is how much? $40 or $50 or $60? if oem is $40 thats a saving of more than 50%, if $60 for oem thats a saving of more than 30%. certainly not much at all in dollar figure but in percentage wise it means something.

but if it means nothing in dollar figures then why should percentage matter?

spoon fit
16-11-2005, 04:57 PM
btw,, i think spoon released air cleaner for the updated version

checkout www.spoon.jp (http://www.spoon.jp/)

hey just wanna ask,, do the aftermarket reusable filters wear out and not performing as good after a certain time of use??

so different to the old one?
washable?

vividjazz
16-11-2005, 08:33 PM
according to service manual the filter has to be changed every 40,000kms.

The air must be alot cleaner in Brisvegas.

My filter was filthy at 15,000km. We are talking Sydney fresh air. I wouldn't let it go that long again in future before changing.

Air in Bangkok and any other BIG city is also bad. Classed as extreme driving conditions in the manual and therefore requires more frequent changing. Likewise the stop start traffic conditions.

muli
16-11-2005, 08:49 PM
is it anything as fresh as the water? mine was still spotless at about 25k. But depends where you drive as well.

Jazzle
17-11-2005, 09:13 AM
so different to the old one?
washable?

i think just different shape?? the old one is for prefacelift and the new one is for facelift i guess... has to be the same beside the shape

vividjazz
17-11-2005, 06:50 PM
is it anything as fresh as the water? mine was still spotless at about 25k. But depends where you drive as well.

It just isn't water without a good dose of Gardia and Crypto Speridium. Nothing that boiling for 20 mins doesn't fix.

If your changing the filter every 10,000km like it looks like I'm going to have to then a reusable filter will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Hate to think how filthy an unboxed funnel air filter would get in Sydney air. If it wasn't reusable you'd be replacing it everytime you fill up with petrol.

petrovski
20-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Filters have been done to death on the jazz!

Unless there is a new development for the intake of the jazz (e.g an intake that flows air less than the ambient temperature or one that increases power by 20kw) i do not want to see another topic on filters or intakes! if there is it will be closed and you will be told to do a search!

Pete :)