PDA

View Full Version : Problems with CAT

Qwooootz
03-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Didnt know whether to continue on in this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31504 or whether i wud jack it, i have a similar problem BUT a few different questions..

Anyways.
I have a Hi-tech exhaust system and high flow cat, and recently had a strong taping noise comming from it. i had a similar sound awhile back but after a major service it was fixed until yesterday.

Now the wierd thing is it totally sounds F%^d up when it makes the tapping noise (sounds like a rock inside bouncing around agressivly after tapping the gas) but then its an on and off thing,,cud factors maby cold and hot weather?? and sometimes if i thrash it long enough.:( :o ?? its not consistant and its really bugging me whether to get a new cat or not?

Should i keep it going until the noise is consistant?
if it is screwed up is it a potential danger to ruining the rest of the car??
If i should change it what do you guys think of the magnaflow or TODA high flow cat???

Cheers
RJ

VTi_b0i
03-11-2005, 09:10 PM
MINE HAS THAT TOO NOW! lmfao and its pissin me off :( i duno what it is... the brand is "CATCO" i think from the states... i duno if it is the cat but yehh it makes the same sort of noise...

wynode
03-11-2005, 09:12 PM
rattline could be either a collapsed resontaor or the cat itself. If you're lucky whatever is stuck in there might blow out.

Otherwise it will get worse and you'll have to take it back :)

VTi_b0i
03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
mehh i jus got it put on, so ill pretent it was the guy who installed its fault and make him fix it for free :)

Qwooootz
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
VTi boi, u shud man,,if its only been recently installed?:cool: :D

Wynode when it does get worst.. the noise will be consistant riite, is it a potential danger to everythign else? and if theirs something in their? how the heck did it get in their? hahah dang:o

VTi_b0i
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
i got them put on last saturday... well 2weeks this sat actually... umm they are about 2months old tho, i bought them used off Notorious Ahmie Roflz but he didnt have them on for all that long... so they are like 3months old... shud be under warrenty yes? ill take it back and see waht he says..

SKREMN
03-11-2005, 10:27 PM
the internals are most commonly ceramic and overtime will smash and chip away if its ratteling

it is exactly like a big rock ratteling around in there
it comes and goes is it get stuck and wedges up inside there

I have had 3 cats on my car
in the end I went metal internals

you will be loosing performance
and using more fuel

you can knock out the internals but not only will you get a huge fine it will sound crap

wynode
03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Qwooootz, I had a similar problem (took mine back twice actually) and the noise would only come at a certain RPM.

In both cases........it was a collapsed resonator.

Just take it back.

Qwooootz
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM
ill drive around tommoro see if the sound comes back..:o cant afford a new cat atm.. neither fuel.. *sigh* such a lose lose situation lol.. thanks for the input every1!.

just last question any1 know if magnaflow highflow cats any good? or Toda?

Perry
04-11-2005, 09:40 AM
i got the same problem aswell the noise is annouying me, but then again it goes and comes, but i think my cat is new though

ITRBoI
04-11-2005, 10:07 AM
guys guys......most common problems is the honeycomb inside the cat convertor....the honeycomb has been shattered!!! you will only hear the noise about 4000 rpm and above....get the cat change and it should stop. Another way to see if it's the cat or not...is to go underneath the car and tap on the cat to see if you hear any noise coming from it

Qwooootz
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
ITRboi, i took it to the muffler place and the noise stopped, its like the car new i took it to the doctors:eek: and when they tapped the cat, nothing,, few hours later boom,, sound again, took it to 2 mechanics to double make sure, and they said its cat for sure.. *sigh* LOL.