PDA

View Full Version : GSi Exhaust

vtecinaccord
04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi guys, my mate just install a 2 1/4 inch cat back Mandrel bent small resonaor and Magnaflow oval muff on back. It seems as if it is slower wheni drive it,, could this be possible.. or am i just a tripper. the car has no other mods exept a custom cold air intake.. Which is basically all the stock intake with the resonator taken out and a pipe running to behind the front bar from the filter.. thanx

bennjamin
04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
the larger piping would of reduced backpressure slightly giving less response low to mid speed driving...but top end MIGHT be increased very very slightly.
Your friend hasnt lost HP tho.

lspower
04-11-2005, 12:25 PM
you had b18a engine right? You may go to far with your exhaust. Stock is 1.75 inch and I did mine to 2 inch and good. You might loose to much power down low and not enough exhaust flow in low engine speed. But you might be get away with it ADVANCE YOUR IGNITIONTIMMING and add 98 octane fuel until the engine pings sligthly at low rpm on 5th. eg 1500-1800 rpm region.

I hope this helps...Thank You.

FANATK
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
on my old GSi i had a 2.25, didnt see any losses, more towards a gain

ITRBoI
04-11-2005, 01:40 PM
the larger piping would of reduced backpressure slightly giving less response low to mid speed driving...but top end MIGHT be increased very very slightly.
Your friend hasnt lost HP tho.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

joneblaze
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
If your mate is going to stop with minor bolt on mods, I'd suggest a mandrel bent 2" catback for his B18B. I experienced a loss in low end with a 2.25" setup. It just makes daily driving even less fun. Really not worth the minute "gains" in top end when flogging it in a straight line, IMO.

ACTI0NMAN-1
04-11-2005, 05:39 PM
i went with 2.25 on a b18a but i went with press bends which were slightly cheaper but gave the same performance as having 2"

crispy
05-11-2005, 09:24 AM
2 1/4" seems a bit big for that car. Is it really loud and droney *scuse spelling*? I have a stock b-pipe and then 2" mandrel bend going into a 2 1/4" magnaflow oval muffler and then 2 1/4" mandrel all the way out and i noticed a bit more torque, not a hell of a lot, but now that the muffler has been worn in its just got really loud. And as ben said, you may have lost some backpressure which can result in sluggish performance.

bennyBear
05-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Any loss you register by getting 2 1/4 inch piping is cancelled out as soon as you pick up some decent headers. There's no point imo in doing intake and just a cat-back setup, you will unlock double the gains of a catback system by installing some headers.

It brings back responsiveness, and torquey low end. Check the throttle cable to, when i got my car back from the workshop recently, they must have thrashed the pants out of it, bald tire, throttle cable - throttle body looked like a dead rats tail (droopy) tighten it up to resurrect response, and w.o.t.

vtecinaccord
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah headers will be going on some time soon

twofruitz
05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
ive got a 2.25 pipe, 4-2-1 extractors, high flow cat, no resinator, 6" 4" tip zetti cannon.

added a fair bit of power (10hpish atw)

FlavzzTEGRA
06-11-2005, 11:48 AM
yeah its just your low end response which would feel like a loss

vtecinaccord
06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi again guys thanx for your help, also it tends to have a slight bumble be in the exhasut what could that be.. Its all done properly. only thing that may be a bit crappy is the resonator could the be the cause of this nasty sound?