PDA

View Full Version : pressure plate...

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
are air guns the only way to remove the five bolts on this?

i stick my wrench on it and jam it into the ground then i turn the crank pulley with the breaker bar (while sitting on the damn engine) and it still wont undo these bolts.

It actually lifts the engine up on the wrench with me sitting on it...

i'm sure on of you guys have removed this plate before...

EDIT: I dont think it's the pressure plate, the bolts in the middle are what i'm referring to

http://www.datrats.com.au/ALLOY_FLYWHEEL.jpg

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:39 PM
sorry, the size of the pic sucks

DLO01
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
An air gun would help.

Give the bolts a tap with a hammer to try and break the bond, they have probably been there for years.

DLO01
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
They are your flywheel bolts.

lerroy
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
wd40 is your friend :P

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
flywheel thanks,

WD40 - i'll try it but i dont give it much hope

bennjamin
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Get two breaker bars....Use a 17mm socket on the crank to hold the crank from moving , and use another 17mm on each bolt with a breaker bar and tehy should come off :)

And , use two biggish blokes to help with leverage !

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
these bolts do come off right?

:)

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
far out i tried that ben,

i'll give it another go after some WD-40

lerroy
04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
i have found shouting and curseing helps me alot :P
not the bolt though

good luck mate psray on wd leave for a bit and then attack it with bens way :P good luck

bennjamin
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
michael that engine above is not a honda block and not the one u refer to right ?
I hope u are using multi-faced sockets instead of the normal heagonal piece -

DLO01
04-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Have you got a socket and bar? A single hex socket would be best (besides the air gun) and if your have a peice of metal pipe you can slip it over the bar for more leverage. But seriously tap the bolts a bit with a hammer.

Sounds like your having fun. :D

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:15 PM
yeh the sockets i'm using are fine, not slipping or anything

basically the whole point of this exercise is to remove the crank pulley bolt...

so i screwed the whole idea of removing the flywheel and am gonna just try dropping rope down the first cylinder and try remove it doing it that way

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
and no thats not my engine block in that pic

wynode
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Cank pulley bolt can be a bitch. Unless you can wedge something between the flywheel teeth to stop it turning, don't waste your time on that side trying to take the flywheel off.

Something ECU-MAN suggested was to turn the crank till you get the compression stroke (ie crank pulley gets hard to turn (this is going anti-clockwise).

Once you do that, get a 1/2 inch extension and put a breaker bar on the end. Then give the end of the breaker bar a good hard whack (he suggested using something like a trolley jack handle!) Idea is to give the bolt a good shock to get it loose. Just make sure your socket doesn't slide off and round the crank pulley bolt.

Hopefully nobody put thread lock on the bolt!

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
haha this is hilarious

ok so in trying the rope technique, it worked perfectly in stopping the crank pulley from turning

so i get a breaker bar and started trying to loosen the crank pulley bolt

what happens?

i break 2 extension socket piece thingy's

and now i almost give up

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
i need the crank pully off so i can get the cover off (the one that covers the water pump) so i can replace the water pump

is there any way i can get that cover off without removing the crank pulley?

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
sunofabitch@@@!!!!!!!!!

wynode
04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Time for some new tools :)

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 01:43 PM
screw this

back to studying

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
ok i tried hammering it, tried wd 40, tried hammering it again, bought a new extension socket which didn't break, used a breaker bar along with that, locked the crank by using the rope method and got my cousin to sit on the engine block..

the bolt wont budge...

air tools is gonna be my last resort, is that the only way?

DLO01
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Another option is (and you probably don't have the gear) Is use a oxy acetylene torch and heat it up, this also helps break the bond.

*safety first* Please make sure there are not any flamables around before trying. :thumbsup:

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 04:48 PM
my gf has a torch she uses to make creme brulee

will that work?

i'm assuming it will, since fire is fire...

DLO01
04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
my gf has a torch she uses to make creme brulee

will that work?

i'm assuming it will, since fire is fire...

A what Torch?

Not sure what torch that is but an Oxy torch is extremly hot (blue flame) and used for welding and cutting.

Be sure though not to heat the bolt head up but more so the flywheel around the bolt head. As if you heat just the Bolt head up and then try to undo it you'll probably shear the Bolt head off.

Heat it up, then straight away get your socket and bar on and give it a reef.

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
i gave up on the flywheel

i'm trying to get the crank pulley bolt off

do i just heat the bolt up then?

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 05:15 PM
http://www.bonjourproducts.com/graphics/products/cbset_md.jpg

it's a torch for cooking food

will this do?

DLO01
04-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Ha ha, this is getting funny. I am having a laugh here with my work mate next to me.

Thats a pretty hard core baking device you have there.

Give it a go, not too sure how strong that thing is, but yeh, try the heating the bolt and let it cool down.

*edit* Still probably best to heat around the bolt on the flywheel as you really need the heat to get in and on to the thread.

*safety first* Make sure there aren't any flamables around ok. :thumbsup:

michael_antoi
04-11-2005, 11:49 PM
but i'm not trying to get the flywheel bolts of anymore

i'm trying to remove the crank pulley bolt..

should i heat around the bolt then?

wynode
05-11-2005, 12:14 AM
I think you need to get a propper tool dood. Whereabouts are you.........are you in Sydney?

michael_antoi
05-11-2005, 12:16 AM
well DL001 suggested heating the bolt or the area around it

is that not a good idea?

yeh sydney man

parramatta ish

wynode
05-11-2005, 12:35 AM
PM Sent!

ECU-MAN
06-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I personally wouldnt heat it with the oxy. ( that is my choice, im not saying it wont work or that its wrong ). but with that torch you have, you can heat it till the cows come home, and you wont get anywhere.

you ahve a few things not on your side.

1 engine out of car
2 no air tools. and I mean real air tools
3 no special tool for locking the harmonic balancer.

I suggest you put the engine in a trailler, and take it some where, where thay can undo it for you.

with out a good air gun, you have a slim chance in getting thios bolt off with out damaging anything.

I have an air gun, but its not powerfull enought to undo these bolts straight off with out some perswaision with the jack handle.

what you could do is

put your clutch back on, put your gearbox on, put your starter motor in. and put your bar on the crank bolt, power your stater motor IN REVERS POLARITY. in other words, make the block + and the power to that starter - . you will want the engine to turn, turning your bar, swinging it into the ground cracking loose the nut.

DO NOT DO THIS IN THE CAR. you will blow all your electricals

I have never done this before, but I know it works on engines that turn clockwise. and 89 Lendgends.

Im pretty sure you can power a stater in revers polarity and make it spin back wards.
but like I said this is not a proven method, do it at your own risk. watch out fo rthe bar becoming airborn..

good luck

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

ECU-MAN
06-11-2005, 09:44 PM
hmm

well I tried the above today on a D15B7 laying around,
turns out the starter motor would only turn one way, even whe the polarity was changed. weird