PDA

View Full Version : SUPER-URGENT >> SOHC VTEC to DOHC VTEC.. wiring questi

VTEChnique
12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Swapping my SOHC VTEC D16Y1 (OBD1) for a DOHC VTEC B18C (OBD2)..

the problem I have is that the B18 doesnt have wiring harness..

one person says I can retain my SOHC wiring harness and it will just plug in ( without direct wiring into the sensors ).. another says my OBD2 plugs wont match.. another said I can directly solder the wires into the motor side plugs - but I dont really like that idea..

basically I want to keep the engine OBD2 and use an OBD2 ECU - but can I do this with my OBD1 harness ???

appreciate any help as my car goes in this week !!

BLKCRX
12-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Your much better keeping your car as obd1 as your friend said, theres much more support for your engine tuning wise, and it’s a lot harder work swapping wiring harness’s over and installing the 2nd o2 sensor the D16y1 engine comes with a p28 obd1 ecu, this ecu can run ANY Honda engine, D B or H when programmed correctly. Easiest thing to do is drop the engine in use your stock wiring and look at getting your ecu converted, im actually flyin across soon 2 setup my Perth workshop so that could be of some use to you.

Regards James

VTEChnique
12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Um because I have the VTiR B18C - the P28 WONt run the B18C thanks to the wonderfull dual-stage intake manifold...

I have P2T B16A OBD2 ECU at moment - am trying to get P72 ECU

am on SUPER-TIGHT budget.. cant afford to do anything twice..

the engine itself is a 95 OBD1 effort that has been 'converted' to OBD2 to run in the EK4 donor car...

what else is involved with the wiring ?

I still need to get Alternator and Starter motor - so IF I get OBD1 starter motor and Alternator and rig them up to my SOHC OBD1 wiring harness.. will that make me OBD1 ?

what about the plugs on the harness, both motor side and ECU side ? apparently the OBD1 plugs wont fit into the OBD 2 plugs..

I really dont want to run it off the SOHC ECU.. but will do it for temporary measure if I have to ..

injectors ? can I use my SOHC injectors on the B18 ?

far out this is starting to stress me out - everyone tells me something contradictory !!

BLKCRX - will have to meet up with you for sure !!
our VTEChnique DRAG-DAY is going to be early april - AFTER my engine is sorted HAHAAHAH

Civic Type R
12-03-2004, 05:19 PM
James, please imform us when you are coming over !
We will hook up and look after you :)

BLKCRX
12-03-2004, 05:37 PM
ill try n make it over for your drag day.... my plan is 2 tune all the car's i can whilst im over there...

i just need 2 find a workshop to work with, and a dyno, along with a good dyno operator.. the rest / tuning is easy ;-)

Worst case if i can't get a dyno ill do road tuning ;) i hear you guys don't have speed limits on your roads hmmm makes tuning very easy !!

As for the p28 you can use this 2 control your 2nd intake runner ;) well hondata can at least, hondata will cost you $820 installed on you p28 givin you your 2nd intake runner control, and fully tuning your car, say no 2 obd2 ;-)

Regards James

Civic Type R
14-03-2004, 09:33 PM
James, please let us know if you need any help with finding anyone.
Drag Combat is on the 10th April by memory.
We'll look after you :)

back on topic.
are you coming over with Hondata equipment to tune say .. my EK4 ? - with stock OBD2

BLKCRX
15-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Yes ill bring over what ever equipment is required to tune all honda's from 89 to 2004 ... along with a stack of intake gaskets and a few other goodies.

Regards James