PDA

View Full Version : K24a potential

Chris_F
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Just stumbled across this...

http://www.skunk2.com/raceShop/garageSale.html

It's a race spec k24a putting out 320hp (displacement at 2450cc)

Got me thinking about the K24a's potential - does anyone know how many of the parts listed in that link would be suitable for a street car, how much they'd cost and what sort of power a highly modified k24a (stoked or destroked - whatever gets the most) would be putting out in street trim?

DynoDave
05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Just stumbled across this...

http://www.skunk2.com/raceShop/garageSale.html

It's a race spec k24a putting out 320hp (displacement at 2450cc)

Got me thinking about the K24a's potential - does anyone know how many of the parts listed in that link would be suitable for a street car, how much they'd cost and what sort of power a highly modified k24a (stoked or destroked - whatever gets the most) would be putting out in street trim?
Honda power is made in the head and not the bottom end those are SHORT (no head) blocks only and yes you could use them as a street car motor but they are setup as a dry sump deal so start to work out what it would cost and they are not cheap.Skunk2 has now run 9.66@141mph with there K24 powered car so yes the pontential is there for BIG N/A power.
Regards Dyno Dave

ProECU
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda power is made in the head and not the bottom end

That is the absolute truth! although the displacement of the bottom end is where torque is derived from.

I'm a true believer that if we could get a B20 to displace 2.4litres with a decent rod ratio, it could outperform the K-series.

aaronng
05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
DynoDave and ProECU, do you have any rpm numbers for the peak power and torque from that Skunk2 K24a? It would be interesting to find out if they managed to spin it at 8000-9000rpm while maintaining efficient intake. Probably has individual throttle bodies?

ALLMTR
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Look like LONG motors to me...maybe the post has been updated

Non Vtec
06-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I thought it was a long block aswell..
They run 54mm TWM ITB's on there cars now. rumuors put there new motors around 398whp, running 6spd sequetial box's.

As for building a K24-20 hybrid for road use, you'll need a CRV short block as they are the easiest to fit the K20A head on. It doesnt matter weather you use the K20A or the K20A-2 head as they are the same, with stage 2 cams, stock valve train, stock everything else you'll make around 230whp 190ftlbs Tq.. but you'l be limited to 8000rpm on the stock bottom end..
The top guys run custom cranks with wider journals and titianium rods and spin them to almost 11,000rpm. I've dyno'd a K20A up to 10,000rpm and with the right cams etc they still do make good power up there, but you'll run big end bearing doing it..

Chris_F
06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Non Vtec, is it possible to put the k20 head on a euro k24 block? I thought the difference between the k24 in the euro and the CRV was only in the head anyway?

also curious... what gives the k20 head the ability to make so much more power?

aaronng
07-11-2005, 01:58 AM
also curious... what gives the k20 head the ability to make so much more power?
It's the K20A cams and the short single runner intake manifold. You get the torque of the K24 but the peak RPM of the K20A. More torque at higher peak RPM = higher HP. I only wonder if it is reliable to spin at 8000rpm all the time without using lighter pistons and strengthened internals. Even the SCCA TSX has its rev limiter set to 7800rpm.

Chris_F
07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
It's the K20A cams and the short single runner intake manifold. You get the torque of the K24 but the peak RPM of the K20A. More torque at higher peak RPM = higher HP. I only wonder if it is reliable to spin at 8000rpm all the time without using lighter pistons and strengthened internals. Even the SCCA TSX has its rev limiter set to 7800rpm.

thanks aaronng, i think lighter pistons and strengthened internals would defintiely be a must at anything close to a 8000rpm limit, the piston speeds of the stock k24 engine are already damn quick given the long stroke. I've done a bit of searching on the net about destroking the k24, but couldn't come up with anything. I wonder if it's even possible, and what the ideal displacement would be? I've always thought 2.2litres would be a good comprimise...

aaronng
07-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Just found some info from the guys at clubrsx. There is one guy running a k20a head on the k24a tsx block at 2.4L. He's only running a 7k rpm redline to be on the safe side. He claims 223 wheel HP at 6800rpm. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=240643&highlight=k24+block

Now I only need to find out if that k20a/k24a frankenstein block destroked to 2.2L was something I read or something I dreamed. I think I read about it but I can't find the source!

Non Vtec
07-11-2005, 05:38 AM
The 2.2l K was done by EDO-Ron from IPS cams in the states, it made 300whp, he has also done a few other cars..
I was under the impression the Euro was still the K20, If the euro has a 2.4 it will be the same as the TSX motor.. The accord 2.4 has a slightly different oil feed set-up so it requires some minor mods, which can be bolted across from the K24 CRV block.
As for the heads, well the K20A and K20A-2 heads are the same but the valve porting is alot better than the K24A heads, the have huge flow differences. The intake manifolds much to the disbelief of many are actually the other way around though, the Euro Accord has a better intake manifold than the JDM Type R and defiantely better than the Type S. the Integras run a smaller intake manifold due to the space and clearance the factory wnated, where as the accord has more room, with a small amount of modification the Euro manifold can be fitted to the K20A to produce about 10whp more. The CTR also has a bigger TB on its manifold aswell.
The TSX-Euro 2.4 has a bigger exhaust cam than the Type R motors, so thats a cheap upgrade at this stage i dont know if anyone has swapped them to see what power gains can be found. On the 2.4 Ivtec motors TSX spec or not, the VTC cam gear can be machined out to allow around 45' VTC adjustment, along with a K-Pro there have been gains of 20-30whp from this modification.
There is a guy on the www.k20a.org site that has a K24-20A-2 motor running Crower stage 2 cams that is making 233whp 190ftlb's and has run an 11.7 in street trim.

Chris_F
08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Non Vtec - thanks for the informative post!

The euro would be an absoloute beast with 225 or so hp atw and probably cover the quarter in 13 or so seconds?

I'm trying to guess what sort of money a k20a/k24 hybrid would cost - atm it's the ecu difficulties that are making it hard. but would 10-15k be more than enough? or am i severly underestimating the cost ?:o

tegstar83
08-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I cant beleive people here a finaly catching on to the fact that the k series engines out rappe the b series by a long shot, as much as i love b series its time to get stuck into the k´s

Non Vtec
08-11-2005, 06:03 AM
I was checking yesterday about one of the guys set-ups and he is running a k24a with crower cams and a vtc gear machined to 40degree vtc. He ran an 11.8 in an EG. so it would be making around 220whp from a stock accord motor.. Although he had the 6spd Type S box.. (which can be fitted to the accords) you can also make a 5spd into a 6spd with the right parts..