PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust solution??

Javed
12-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Howdy fella's

Now my integra gsi came with a 2.25" catback system which I am gathering was locally made/fitted and recently had to change the resonator as it was making a ringing noise at a certain rpm. The resonator was replaced with a different one which allowed more air flow through. Problem that has arisen is that the car sounds barkier and louder than usual, and i have lost some low end torque. Also the car came with the cannon/muffler at the back that i think is something like a 3A racing and has a ~4 inch tip. What I am now looking to do is return the torque (im guessing I lost it due to the drop in back pressure from addign a less resistant resonator) and get my car sounding not as loud as it is, or even was. Just want it to be a bit louder than normal without the whole world hearing me do 40 k's and the zorst is blaring like hell (also when my sound system is installed it will be a pain in the ass, i can just tell).

So what do you guys recommend, I have a small budget so am lookign to minimalise costs. Would replacing the 3r Racing muffler with a better brand (say magnaflow, apexi, etc etc) help? Or would I need to put a small mid muffler in to aid in back pressure and noise reduction, or maybe something else?:P Anyways I will leave it to u guys here, the experts. Sorry for the long post,

Cheers,
Javed

Javed
13-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Anybody?? :(

Tofu
13-03-2004, 06:35 PM
your problem is in that resonator...
a poorly designed exhuast system can lead to poor results, as you have noticed...
if you can, try to find something that has a "slightly more" restricted flow resonator....

or get a silencer

olda
13-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Howdy fella's

Now my integra gsi came with a 2.25" catback system which I am gathering was locally made/fitted and recently had to change the resonator as it was making a ringing noise at a certain rpm. The resonator was replaced with a different one which allowed more air flow through. Problem that has arisen is that the car sounds barkier and louder than usual, and i have lost some low end torque. Also the car came with the cannon/muffler at the back that i think is something like a 3A racing and has a ~4 inch tip. What I am now looking to do is return the torque (im guessing I lost it due to the drop in back pressure from addign a less resistant resonator) and get my car sounding not as loud as it is, or even was. Just want it to be a bit louder than normal without the whole world hearing me do 40 k's and the zorst is blaring like hell (also when my sound system is installed it will be a pain in the ass, i can just tell).

So what do you guys recommend, I have a small budget so am lookign to minimalise costs. Would replacing the 3r Racing muffler with a better brand (say magnaflow, apexi, etc etc) help? Or would I need to put a small mid muffler in to aid in back pressure and noise reduction, or maybe something else?:P Anyways I will leave it to u guys here, the experts. Sorry for the long post,

Cheers,
Javed

Good experience with Remus muffler 4" tip. Just nice sound, maybe a touch too quiet, plenty of torque. ~$800.00 :nod:

Javed
13-03-2004, 09:05 PM
800 bux, hahaha i cant afford that for a muffler! :P

mpd076-chuck
13-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Put a second resonator in or get a magnaflow/similar brand quieter muffler.

tanghy
13-03-2004, 10:30 PM
find a second hand type R catback
nice and quiet

Tofu
14-03-2004, 12:38 AM
find a second hand type R catback
nice and quiet

i like this idea!

olda
14-03-2004, 05:22 PM
800 bux, hahaha i cant afford that for a muffler! :P

Fine man, then u must compromise!!!!!!!!
But be careful! An experimenting could cost u a heaps more in the long run. :idea:

Pablo
18-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I too had the same problem when I did a cat back exhaust on my VTIR.
1st time raspy noise came about 5000rpm (took it back to put resonator)
2nd time raspy noise came on vtec 6000rpm (took it back to oput another resonator on)

Now the car sounds fine with no raspy note at all.

just my 2c

Pablo
18-03-2004, 11:15 AM
and it cost me $250 total. :>)

Javed
18-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Yep if i dont find an itr catback around soo nill add another resonator in. Cheers for the info