PDA

View Full Version : cxi instrument cluster

chicken8
06-11-2005, 01:42 PM
is it easy to put in a GLI or other instrument cluster into the cxi?

are all the cables ready to go? plug and play?

cause i been looking at GLI but a good CXI popped up. i wanna get it but i cant drive without tacho

how do i redline?

so just wondering if any1s done it and how easy is it to do

Zdster
06-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure that it is a plug and play - everything should work fine. I know if you go to the ctr cluster a few things dont work on the cluster, but I think you will be alright with a gli. Do a bit of a search as I do remember this being discussed before.

s3ph
06-11-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah 3 plugs........ just plug and play.

ctr cluster just allows 2 of 3 to be installed.

chicken8
06-11-2005, 02:02 PM
so if i get a GLI cluster. clock the kms down to what the car currently has. and then the plugs just go in as normal? into the cxi?

cause in my prelude it had 4 plugs right. so i was thinking. if the cxi dun have tacho maybe its got 2 or 3 plugs only? and maybe the GLI with tacho might have more plugs?

buts if its plug and play then its sweet. i can just get a tacho from wreckers or something

EK96
06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing any idea how much it would cost from the wreckers ?

Zdster
06-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing any idea how much it would cost from the wreckers ?

As a pure guess I would say around the $100 mark - but it might be more. Just ring round a few wreckers and get some quotes.

EK96
06-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Is it only the cluster that you need or ?

LowEk
06-11-2005, 03:13 PM
i would say it will cost more that i think they go for anywhere from $200-$350 just depends.

aStRooo
06-11-2005, 03:17 PM
i pluged ALL my GLi plugs into my CTR cluster and everything operates fine, apart from ABS light (GLi is ABSless), to my memory there are no left over connectors. if ur thinking of clocking the KM's back, i would advise not to, the EK civic clusters are a bit fragile once their taken apart, friends have tried this on their old clusters when they swap over to CTR, numbers wont line up, apparently something snaps when u try to force it.

LowEk
06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
or you could take it to someone that specilizes in doing this look em up in the yellow pages.

cheers.

chicken8
07-11-2005, 11:44 AM
im thinking of getting a GLI cluster into a CXI

not a CTR cluster into a GLI

im wondering if the GLI cluster would work in a CXI as im considering to get a CXI but dun think i can live without a tacho cause i wouldn't know where redline was until i here the engine at the rev limiter or see smoke from the bonnet :D

but yeah. my aim is a a GLI but i saw a CXI with sunroof which i think would be quite good

EK96
07-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I just put a cluster with a tacho in my cxi today not sure what model its from though, the speedo only goes up to 190 and it redlines at 7200. Got it for $90 from a honda wreckers in melbourne. The two main plugs fit but there was one that was different so i just left it and everything works fine.

chartinael
07-11-2005, 08:04 PM
The EK clusters are interchangeable. I also reset the km without a problem. But I did not take pictures of the process. If anybody is interested in a DIY I will take pics maybe next weekend or the like.

A CRV cluster is an addition option especially for those you have an automatic transmission.

You have the three main connectors. Then you have a green for ie. econo-mode or cruise, orange fore ABS and yellow for SRS. If any of those are not connectable because either the harness has no provision or the cluster is lacking - no biggie. In general you can also use the rear portion and just change the units themselves (will not work for jhm and us-produced units ... they are not interchangeable you will have to use entire cluster).

kristin

EK96
07-11-2005, 08:36 PM
will that mean my airbag wont work then if the yellow plug is not connected or just the light on the cluster. the cluster i got only came with a green slot for econ and no yellow.

chartinael
07-11-2005, 09:01 PM
It merely means you have no indicator light. However, do not give up yet. If you still have your old cluster, you can just take the cluster side part off where the yellow connector used to connect to, place it in your new cluster and now the connector can be connected again. Alternatively try to swap the gauge units into your old cluster shell.

kristin

EK96
07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
ok ill try that then, otherwise if the airbag fails will i have no way of knowing ?. :confused:

JDMCVC
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
i just put a gli cluster in my cxi not too long ago, everything bolts up exactly the same all wiring harnesses get used, and works perfectly

chartinael
07-11-2005, 09:35 PM
That is correct. If you are now running an srs system error, your indicator light will not be able to indicate as you haven't connected the yellow plug. However, the lack of connectivity will not in itself present a system error. If you need any further assistance, please take out cluster and take pictures of the back side (with the plastic mainboard). You know how to take the cluster apart? If not, it is fairly self-explanatory: remove light sockets that go from the back to teh top (it'll be in the way). Take of clear cover (push tabs), take of black part (push more tabs), take of bezel and you have the gauges units in front of you. Turn over and located screws, unscrew and you can remove gauge units. Best to just put units into old cluster .... or is that a cluster that does not have the rpm meter? (sorry but we did not get those over here) .... then you will have to use new cluster and relocate srs board to new cluster.

kristin

chicken8
07-11-2005, 09:46 PM
wow. this is giving me hope

now to the rest of the things to make a CXI into a GLI

power windows. has any1 put that in?

and rear brakes. any1?!?

chartinael
07-11-2005, 09:51 PM
rear brakes have been done ...if you don't have abs you have more swap options, if you do it will be harder to find the right swap. I have power everything so I can not help with the power windows and mirrors but it can be done, I know people who have done it. Please consider, that if you do the rear brakes you will have to get it engineered and I do not know what procedure is necessary down under.

SLPJCooL
07-11-2005, 09:58 PM
PURE Plug & Play Yo! :D
Selling this one, PM me if u're interested!

EK96
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah my old cluster has no rpm meter. How do i relocate the srs board to the new cluster ?

barefootbonzai
08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
wow. this is giving me hope

now to the rest of the things to make a CXI into a GLI

power windows. has any1 put that in?

and rear brakes. any1?!?

Don't you worry mate, i have a cxi and have done all of them except the power windows. Who needs power windows anyways, it'll just weigh down your car :thumbdwn:

And y be aiming for GLI if you get my drift ;)

Zdster
08-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Installing power windows/mirrors was fun :).

EK96
08-11-2005, 06:29 PM
There was no srs light so i just ended up taping the chip to the back and used the econo light, seems to work alright. Not sure what car the cluster is from think its jdm cause its got all this jap writing on the back and the speedo only goes up to 180.