PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter

Menzy
07-11-2005, 12:21 AM
heylloz there everyone, okz 1st i have a stock stock engin d16,
and today i removed the lid from the stock air filter which sounded nice the whole nite ... is it somthing bad that will hurt the car if i do leave it open ...
or is it ok... im jst doing this temp. till i get my CAI hehehe :D cheers boys n gurlz :rolleyes:

SiR JDM
07-11-2005, 12:35 AM
If its temporary it will be fine. I know alot of people who do it so they're vtec will scream alot louded than an enclosed one.

Menzy
07-11-2005, 12:37 AM
yea i noe the car sounds crazy when u put ur foot down ... even at low rpms :D hehehe but if were talking temp how long for the fine temp time are we talking ?

n/a
07-11-2005, 12:46 AM
i'm confused, is the air getting filtered?

Menzy
07-11-2005, 12:48 AM
well thats wat im trying to get at ... if i remove the lid from it will it work ok ... coz like the lid has this hosing on it that connects to the actul hose that goes to the fuel injection ... so hmm

kayot1k
07-11-2005, 06:09 AM
then in that case no !

not sure how the d16 airbox is like but on the b16 the top of the lid is where the actual is drawn in from or sucked in. temp or not stupid move. say good bye if a little rock is flicked up from underneath the car and into that pipe. :wave:

why would u even do that, thats low. :thumbdwn:

egads
07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
d series airbox is similar in design. top lid draws air in the intake arm. so at the moment its not filtered at all. :thumbdwn:

Ferrari
07-11-2005, 08:52 AM
remove the airbox resonator mate, that way u will have the vtec scream, and be getting filtered air, so silly to drive without an airfilter, it gets dirty for a reason!

SiR JDM
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
remove the airbox resonator mate, that way u will have the vtec scream, and be getting filtered air, so silly to drive without an airfilter, it gets dirty for a reason!

That is the best way. I misread your post, i thought you still had the filter and everything attached.

Better yet, just install your CAI or leave it how it was untill you install it.

incoming
07-11-2005, 09:39 AM
just a note
he has a GLi not a VTi
he just wants the engine to sound louder not vtec lol

Menzy
07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
just a note
he has a GLi not a VTi
he just wants the engine to sound louder not vtec lol

hehehe yea ... dats what i want ... i knew somthing was wrong with the way it looked coz the air was getting sucked but wasnt going through the filter so yea i can wait till i get a CAI hehe... thanks guys ... and for the GLI which CAI should i get the ones that stick inside ... or the normal ones ... some of my friends said if i get the normal one it will suck hot air engin but if i have the ones that dip inside it will suck cold air ... any comments here ?

incoming
07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
hehehe yea ... dats what i want ... i knew somthing was wrong with the way it looked coz the air was getting sucked but wasnt going through the filter so yea i can wait till i get a CAI hehe... thanks guys ... and for the GLI which CAI should i get the ones that stick inside ... or the normal ones ... some of my friends said if i get the normal one it will suck hot air engin but if i have the ones that dip inside it will suck cold air ... any comments here ?

the ones stick inside are panel filters
the exposed airfilters are called pod filters

if ur gona run a pod filter... get a heat shield to block engine heat and a cold air feed (pipe coming from the front bar going inside the mud guard to the pod filter!

if ur gona use a panel filter get the cold air feed as i mentioned above!

GL buddy

Menzy
07-11-2005, 11:52 AM
would any1 have pictures of the engin with a heat shield and cold air feed (pipe coming from the front bar going inside the mud guard to the pod filter just to see what it looks like :) many thanks and incoming thanks for your replies

notorious_ahmie
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
make sure if u do get a pod...that u get or build a fully sealed box so it can suck up as much as possible with the CAI ull make..its where i stuffed up but im gettin it fixed this weeek woohooo!!

incoming
07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
here u go champ!

try this first http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836
u gotta remove the resonator out of the mud guard

then this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29429

notorious_ahmie
07-11-2005, 12:02 PM
this is my temp dodgy lookin one

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2228/071120052nd.th.jpg (http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=071120052nd.jpg)

and thats where i have the pipe goin all the way to the whale penis

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5296/071120050019un.th.jpg (http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=071120050019un.jpg)

Menzy
07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
hehehe now im gettting some idea.. many thanks for you two :p

incoming
07-11-2005, 12:04 PM
notorious: u said ur getting a heat shield box fixed/made... from where?

i cbf making one lol

notorious_ahmie
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
a very nice guy is makin one for me but costs around 100 to do man...but since its a whale penis i really cant be bothered for all the cuts im gonna get ill pay some1 to do it and get the job done right...ill get ya his details if u want me too

iced
08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
make sure if u do get a pod...that u get or build a fully sealed box so it can suck up as much as possible with the CAI ull make..its where i stuffed up but im gettin it fixed this weeek woohooo!!

in that case get a panel.
fully sealing a pod filter in a box as a diy project is not an easy task.

heatshield sounds more doable.
for a diy project, short ram intake and some ag pipe is the easiest.
put the pod to the further corner, run ag pipe to it. of course it wont ram any air but it will provide cooler air for the filter to suck once you get moving.
then once you have time make a heatshield out of some alumimum sheet.

notorious_ahmie
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
yeh im paying some to make it for the whale penis and ill post some piks up

i saw on ebay for a pod filter and fully sealed box that a friend bought and it is really good..had the short ram intake as the pipe and a CAI from tehe bumper as well..its like 50$ for the box

mrwillz
08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
btw wif those on OH that jus haf no cold air pipe from the front bumper, is ne1 removing their cai/pod and reverting to stock box for summer time?
i haf done this oready cos CAi is useless in summer time wifout the proper cold air feed

**Ghost**
08-11-2005, 06:39 PM
i posted that ebay box before, its a really good design imo... its a direct replicao f the mugen box

notorious_ahmie
08-11-2005, 06:40 PM
yeh its pretty good..if this whale penis doesnt do it for me its what im gonna get next

mugeneration
08-11-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/~rmat6268/HostedImages/IMGA0090.JPG

http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/~rmat6268/HostedImages/IMGA0091.JPG

There ya go. K&N. good stuff. I think the heat shield is AutoTechnica or sumthin cheap. You arent filtering you air at the moment which is bad. You could go a K&N panel filter, its almost as good.

**Ghost**
09-11-2005, 12:15 AM
to be blatantly honest i dont see that "heatshield" doing anything

the point of heatshields is to isolate the "air" around the pod so that the pod only sucks cold air... ahmie's setup seems good cos as u can see the pod is isolated from the rest of the engine bay

the autotechnica one cant do anything, the pod is stil lin the bonnet??!?!?!?!? and its not isolated from teh headers... and i dont see the piece of plastic warding off radiating heat at all

in fact that heatshield might lose u power cos it reflicts flow of the pod

mugeneration
09-11-2005, 11:57 AM
to tell you the truth i agree with you 100%. Dunno why i bought it, prolly coz i thought itd look sweet. Its actually made of aluminium but still doesnt do much...... except maybe reflect sum dirty air coming out of the resonater hoses there! lol

Menzy
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
im thinking bout getting the extended ones ... that reach down to the front bar that way u jst stick it in... n it looks nice too

chameleon
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
im thinking bout getting the extended ones ... that reach down to the front bar that way u jst stick it in... n it looks nice too

I think those are called cold air intakes
the others where the pod filter is in the engin bay are called short ram intakes.