PDA

View Full Version : mini me

michael_antoi
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
I have a dual carby breeze in my eg right now

i have a d15b vtec sitting in my backyard

I was gonna do a full swap but does anyone know if i can just swap the head and fuel delivery system?

i've heard of problems with swapping a vtec head with a d15z1 due to low compression, is this problem the same with the d15z2?

michael_antoi
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
hmm nobody knows anything about mini-me's?

technically the bottom end of my engine should be the same as any other d15 series right?

and i just checked the engine block to be a d15z2

jackosimm
07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
search im sure this has been covered many times before:thumbsup:

michael_antoi
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
a carby bottom end with a d15b head been covered before?

i've googled and search numerous forums

i've searched far and wide..

but thanks.

:)

jackosimm
07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
and your right too:) my apologies

michael_antoi
07-11-2005, 07:19 PM
yeh no problems

not the most common swap

Eclipsor
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
have you tried dseries.org? I'm sure someone has done it on there.

michael_antoi
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
yeh i've also posted there without much luck

well if no one can answer the previous questions could someone atleast tell me;

shouldn't the bottom end of any d-series sohc 1.5L engine be compatible with the d15b head?

despite it being a dual carby, this shouldn't affect the bottom end whatsoever right?

barefootbonzai
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
didn't someone on here (ozhonda) do it not too long ago. I'm pretty sure i read it here.

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 10:53 AM
was that just a mini me

or a carby to efi vtec head swap

egSi
08-11-2005, 11:20 AM
why bother with the head swap when u can swap the d15 vtec in and be done with it?

pillow
08-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I think he's just trying to find a simpler way as opposed to doing an entire engine swap Trav;) But I agree with Trav, just swap in the d15 vtec motor :thumbsup:

egSi
08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
fair enough but i thought swapping a head and fuel tank and some other fuel stuff would be HARDER than swap d15, tank, fuel stuff etc.

same mounts etc. just do it michael :p

barefootbonzai
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
was that just a mini me

or a carby to efi vtec head swap

dual carby VTEC yo

barefootbonzai
08-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Man how hard did you search? I did one search and found it right away.--->>>>>

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28627

egSi
08-11-2005, 12:34 PM
lol ^

Eclipsor
08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
He already has carby and wants efi. Not converting the vtec engine to carb.

barefootbonzai
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Shit, my mistake. Wouldn't it be easier to just change the whole engine over then trying to do the head swap thing?

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 03:15 PM
i swear people love jumping to conclusions before they think

but anywayz

the head swap would be the same process as the engine swap except i wouldn't have to do the following

remove the the axles from each side

hoist the old engine out

disconnect the tranny and connect it to the new engine block

swap the hoists over

etc etc..

does anyone agree that this would be an easier process?

egSi
08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
sorry mate i disagree, i think itll be harded to do head swap.

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
well, i'm open to opinions

why do u think that

egSi
08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
well 1st u asked if it could be done, then u say is it easier?

considering u have the WHOLE engine i dont see y u dont swap it over. i would mate. it also would be a good time to refresh the tranny while the vtec is out as well.

you doin this yourself? no offence but if u dont know IF it can be done how do u expect to do it EASIER than the whole swap.

like i sed, id rather a d15 vtec installed in its entirity then some head job hybrid thing.

whats the milage like on both motors? the carby run perfect? no noticable tranny wear?

btw wheres my trader point :p

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
the only reason i dont know if it can be done was due to compression issues

the vx model (vtec-e or d15z2) gives a low compression due to the shape of the piston (around 8 compression)

i wanted to know if this would occur with my setup

i know how to swap the heads over and such but i wanted to know if it was possible because

A) wanted to know if carby bottom ends were the same as efi bottom ends (which i now know they are pretty much all the same)

B) compression issues

the carby has a about 20 000 more k's than the d15b which may lead me to changing over the whole engine

tranny is fine on the carby

I did ask why you thought it would be easier, not why you would go for the entire engine swap. You still havent answered that, i know why i would do the entire engine swap and it's for pretty much the same reasons you've given...

But in terms of it being easier to do the full engine conversion, i still dont know why u think it's easier

but i'm just after opinons here, not arguments

Weq
08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
im sick of ppl handing information out to u and just brushing it off. you contribute nothing to these forums.

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 05:39 PM
i dont see how that comment was necessary or warranted?

i may not contribute to the forums because i dont have as much knowledge as u and many others..

i ask questions because i want opinons and i'm also trying to gain some knowledge

bennjamin
08-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Weq does have a point Michael - you seem to ask many many questions , and take nothing to mind since you keep on asking them. Do you search at all ? atleast he has had plenty of input in the past :)

AS Weq himself has told you before - Sit down , THINK about all your options and decide where you want to put ur money. THEN research about your plan - and then finally search our site - if nothing comes up plz ask questions :)

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
unless ur gonna ban me from asking opinions and questions after searching and actuallly thinking about my options then i dont see the problem in doing so...

so u basically want me to research other forums before coming here?
i research not only forums but websites for the information i need

and what makes do u think i dont take anything to mind...

i'm not trying to start an argument or get on anyones bad side..

i'm trying to explore my options. after researching websites and searching forums if i cant find the answers i want then i'll post here.

but if thats not welcome, or if i ask too many questions with people thinking i dont take their opinions into account then i'll cut it back..

dont wanna start trouble or anything

bennjamin
08-11-2005, 08:14 PM
you have created 29 or so threads relative to D series talk/conversions over the past 2 months - that IS alot for asking very similar questions. I advice to just keep ONE open thread , and update it once in awhile with any questions u may have.

Yes , there are plenty of places to research - including www.d-series.org which YOU quoted yourself recently too :)

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 08:19 PM
If you want me to keep all questions in one thread thats fine, just have to say so.

yes d-series.org - what's ur point? You dont think i havent searched there?
You keep saying search search and I have, so you can stop saying that now.

sivic
08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
ok simply put, swapping the head is going to be more work than just doing the entire engine. dropping engines in and out is easy especially in this case where you can use same mounts and tranny.
dunno where you got the idea of having to touch the driveshafts? you dont have to swap any tranny stuff. shafts are connected to your gearbox not your motor.
doing the entire engine will also save you hassles of running custom oil lines for the vtec activation etc.
doing the head swap you will have to do all same stuff as engine swap such as fuel lines, tank, ecu, wiring etc. but instead of swapping out engines you will be doing head which has far more potential for problems.
mate if you havent found any info in doing it do you think you are really at the skill level to be pioneering hybrid swaps?

sorry to be harsh but if you havent found any options you like from the countless which you have requested and which you ave been offered you're unlikely to find one

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
ok thanks for the tips mate... really appreciate some constructive advice.

yeh seems like the entire swap would be easier, considering what you have said.

only reason i ask is because of the number of mini-me swaps being done in the states - i guess thats because they can source just the head. Since i have the full engine probably best to swap over the engine.

In terms of changing over gearboxes i was originally going to take out the engine and the gearbox then bolt the new gearbox to the d15b

is it possible to leave the g/box in the car and bolt that in after i drop in the engine?

sivic
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
yep. you shouldnt have to drop the box out. but do refresh the transmission oil.
basically do a major service on it while its out

Setanta
08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Try automotiveforums (see my sig and go to the 4th gen forums). Usually their is a lot of good info on "junkyard" performance mtors there including junkyard turbos that smash the crap out of b16a turbo setups - well... maybe their longevity isn't quite as good :)

michael_antoi
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
yeh plan on changing all the seals and pumps etc..

thanks for that mate

i'll try that 4thgen website, tried it before but there might be something new i've missed

barefootbonzai
09-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I have a dual carby breeze in my eg right now

i have a d15b vtec sitting in my backyard

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, i can do one of two things

I can build up the ZC that I have - things i'm CONSIDERING doing are:

No comment.

michael_antoi
09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
*CONSIDERING* being the operative word

ekslut
09-11-2005, 01:00 PM
This is going nowhere. Have look at doing the engine swap, or search around for some more info on the head swap. Doesn't look like anyone here has done it before.

*CLOSED*