Cheers

in short... no
i'm not sure what the optimal vtec x-over point is with these cams though

ALLMTR996
07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Quick question

Will the toda B's affect the motor from vtecing

Cheers
These cams are a good upgrade for the B18C1-7 engine family Vtec crossover will be between 5800-6400rpm depending on your intake and header&exhaust setup.You must upgrade your valve train and use a tunable ECU for these cams.
ALLMTR996

Perry
07-11-2005, 12:13 PM
These cams are a good upgrade for the B18C1-7 engine family Vtec crossover will be between 5800-6400rpm depending on your intake and header&exhaust setup.You must upgrade your valve train and use a tunable ECU for these cams.
ALLMTR996

just say i mean just say im using a aftermarket ecu but not tunable 1 what will happen noob question, just say full zorst set up ?

barefootbonzai
07-11-2005, 12:28 PM
What use is a aftermarket ecu that is not tunable? You might aswell just be using your stock one. I don't think you should be getting toda B cams if you plan to be running it on a non-tunable ecu.

DLO01
07-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Hes probably got a Powerchip or something.

Perry
07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
What use is a aftermarket ecu that is not tunable? You might aswell just be using your stock one. I don't think you should be getting toda B cams if you plan to be running it on a non-tunable ecu.

Im just saying dude if i was using the spoon ecu as a tempory. i know tunable ecu is better, back to my topic

EGB16A
07-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Im just saying dude if i was using the spoon ecu as a tempory. i know tunable ecu is better, back to my topic

i wouldn't advise it, i'd be considering the ecu as part of the install cost.

**Ghost**
07-11-2005, 03:07 PM
use ur spoon ECU with a VAFC could be a "patch up" option... emanage is probably better cos u get ignition control as well

i'm doing cams to my car atm as well, the ECU bit is a bloody hassle

barefootbonzai
07-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Aren't we all telling you the same thing here.....

BLKCRX
07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
The low cam duration and lift (1st and 3rd lobe of the cam) of the Toda Spec B and C cam’s are exactly the same. Having said that these cam’s require a vtec cross over point of around 7000rpm. If your engage vtec too early you can lose power, this most certainly will happen on a standard ECU, get your car professionally tuned to provide correct fueling and ignition settings for both low cam and high cam settings.

Regards James

Civic Type R
07-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Moving on a bit but still trying to keep on topic :)

James, will the dual valve springs found in the JDM B18cR need to be upgraded with Toda B cams (as Allmtr996 pointed out) if you plan to rev to 10k. Adding to that, at what running RPM will the valve springs and better retainers etc be required ?

BLKCRX
07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
JDM b18Cr springs are only good for Spec A Toda cams, Toda Valve springs are a must on any B and C spec cam, period. Retainers I would only change on C’s when you start pushing well over 10,000rpm. And to make power at this RPM a lot of other work must be done.

The standard retainers are very strong, the only reason you would change the retainers to titanium would be due to the fact there much lighter, at this stage you really need to consider special valves and collets along with the retainer.

Regards James

Civic Type R
07-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Some good info there.

As mentioned, you require a programmable ECU to fully utilise the design and purpose of those B cams. Will a stock B16A2 / B18cR ECU with VAFC2 be sufficient ?

BLKCRX
07-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Some good info there.

As mentioned, you require a programmable ECU to fully utilise the design and purpose of those B cams. Will a stock B16A2 / B18cR ECU with VAFC2 be sufficient ?

In short No, I wouldn’t use nor recommend hat combination. Life is to short to cut corners to it correctly the first time.