PDA

View Full Version : quad throttle bodies

j-specAccord
07-11-2005, 05:55 PM
can someone let me know how and where to find a quad throttle kit for the H22A.
i know that there are kits for the B16 and B18 but i have yet to come across kits for the H22, anyone with info much appreciated.

BLKCRX
07-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Go talk to nick at APC racing he has a friend who makes custom Quad Throttle body's for any application.

Check out www.apc-racing.com

Regards James

TAKEN
07-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Online are doing mine at the moment, quad 50's. similar set up to their car i think.. I will post up some pics of it when i get them fitted. Give them a call. :thumbsup:

weezer
07-11-2005, 08:09 PM
http://www.twminduction.com/

LowEk
07-11-2005, 08:28 PM
what are rought prices of quads i think thay are about $2000-$5000 am i right on this??

bennyBear
07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
And freakin loud, lol

j-specAccord
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
thanx for the tips,
weezer thanx for that link. very helpful.
ITB's is prob the last thing i will install on ma engine, i need an ECU and cams before i do but at least i can purchase them off the shelf so to speak.

Chris_F
09-11-2005, 08:55 AM
i've always loved the idea of doin quads... do you get big gains from them after cams, ecu, header, exhaust head porting etc? or is it just a fine tuning/marginal increase thing?

ekslut
09-11-2005, 09:05 AM
i've always loved the idea of doin quads... do you get big gains from them after cams, ecu, header, exhaust head porting etc? or is it just a fine tuning/marginal increase thing?

You do get big gains, but mainly it is in the midrange. Perfect for track racing setups. Apparently they are a bitch to tune too.

DynoDave
09-11-2005, 09:25 AM
You do get big gains, but mainly it is in the midrange. Perfect for track racing setups. Apparently they are a bitch to tune too.
Trevor is 100% correct most of the gains will be mid range and part throttle and any riceboy that tells you that they made MASSIVE hi rpm gains is full of shit.I have built and tuned different styles of multi throttle body setups and yes they are hard to tune and your ECU choice and tuner is where you will get good gains from if you have someone that knows how to tune ITB's and it will take anywhere from 4-8hrs on a dyno to get them perfect.There are a few tricks (not secrets like some people think)in tuning them and most street engine setups are harder to tune than a full on race engine.So before you go out and spend the money buying a setup remember that you will still need a airbox and filter system to get the full benefit from the ITB's and then the ECU and then the tuning the cost will blow out to $7000+ and I really do not see the point in a road car as you will only ever use them to 25% of what they are intended for.
Regards Dyno Dave

Chris_F
09-11-2005, 09:33 AM
why is it you can only make 25% use of what they are really intended for? - fuel types? noise restrictions? - i always thought they would make a huge difference... so what would would be a better option equivalently money wise for a street application? (assuming I/H/E is taken care of)

DynoDave
09-11-2005, 10:09 AM
why is it you can only make 25% use of what they are really intended for? - fuel types? noise restrictions? - i always thought they would make a huge difference... so what would would be a better option equivalently money wise for a street application? (assuming I/H/E is taken care of)
The response that 4 throttle manifolds give you are just amazing and are with a Vtec engine on the low cam very touchy and can be hard to drive in traffic with the response that they give.In a non vtec engine they are not as hard to drive because the vacum is lower because of cam timing and this in turn lower's the response.Doing road tuning with a 4 throttle setup on a Vtec motor was a surprise as on the fwy at 110kph we had a throttle position of just 1-4% now in a single throttle setup you will be using anywhere from 8-16% for the same speed and RPM hench my comment only using 25% of what the are designed for the are not really for road use but can be alot of fun when they are correctlty setup and tuned.If you buy a single throttle setup most manifolds cost around the $500+ and a good 66mm or bigger throttle body will cost around the same $500+ and the it looks STD most EPA and Police will not even look at you if you have to open the bonnet.This type of setup will make more power than most of you will ever want and need.
Regards Dyno Dave

Chris_F
09-11-2005, 11:59 AM
cool, thanks for clearing that up, the 25% thing defintiely makes sense now. Sounds like a large single throttle is the way to go bang for buck wise. quad throttles just look/sound awesome - that video of the h22a accord that was posted on the forum a while ago with quads was just nuts

Flanderz
09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I still get a special feeling in my pants when I watch that vid lol :thumbsup:
One question tho, with a ITB set up you would still need to filter the air comming into the engine right?, doesn't this create a huge restriction for a smaller individual throttle body?? like sucking air through a straw????

sivic
09-11-2005, 01:58 PM
not really. you can get a number of different filter setups for ITB's from individual filters or "socks" for each cylinder to complete airbox setups for the entire assembly.
ITB's create less restiction. at WOT they have a greater combined cross sectional area for airflow than a single larger throttle body. while at low rpm with low throttle application they achieve a higher intake velocity for each cylinder than a single throttle body and intake manifold. thus they give benefits in basically all applications

Chris_F
09-11-2005, 02:14 PM
hmm, are twin throttle bodies common?... maybe they'd be good for street applications.

iamhappy46
10-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Twin throttle bodies would be an in between, look back to the VL Walkinshaw and VN SS Group A Commodores as they used twin throttle bodies with decent gains over their single throttle V8 brothers.

Have you seen the CAPA twin throttle body kit for the Hyundai Excels??

Chris_F
10-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Twin throttle bodies would be an in between, look back to the VL Walkinshaw and VN SS Group A Commodores as they used twin throttle bodies with decent gains over their single throttle V8 brothers.

Have you seen the CAPA twin throttle body kit for the Hyundai Excels??

yea thats what i'm thinking aswell, like in between sort of thing. never seen the capa twin throttle body kit for the hyundai excel either :confused: - got a link?

incidently, are quads even street legal?

bennjamin
10-11-2005, 07:27 AM
incidently, are quads even street legal?

Properly engineered , and in a proper enclosure yes AFAIK they are 100% legal.

BTW something to check out - a few years back a local aussie company developed a twin throttle body setup for the hyundai excel - with decent results - im sure something could be done with a massacared stock inlet manifold and a welder lol

Chris_F
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
http://www.capa.com.au

found the company... never heard of them, but they've done some cool shit judging by the site