PDA

View Full Version : Electircal Prob. 96 teg VTIR - Need Advice

VTECMadness
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I have a 1996 integra vtir.

When I’m driving the car the ABS light come on randomly or sometimes when I turn on the high beam ABS light come on.

For it go off, I have to pull over the car and do the following steps

1. turn off the ignition
2. turn it back to the 'on position' ( all the lights in the dashboard would be very dim as if the battery is almost dead.

3. I then flash the high beam and dash board lights would gain their normal brightness.

4. I can now start the car and everything would be back to normal.

I drive about 400 kms per week. It may happen once a day, once a week or once a month.

Note 1:
The ABS light does not come on every time I flash the high beam.

I have taken the car to Honda Dealer but they have not being able to diagnose the problem as it has not being present every time I have taken it. They have confirmed ABS is all ok.

I am thinking there is a random current drop - ECU related. Which shuts down the ABS system.

This problem only started when I took out the ECU fuse to re-program the computer.

I’m not sure if this was the cause of it or it was a pure coincidence.
I have changed the battey but didnt help.

Is there another way to re program the computer which can only be done by the Honda Dealer?

Appreciate any advice.

bennjamin
07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
sounds like your alternator is on the way out...or check all ground-wiring ( on gearbox , on radiator support and thermostat etc) to see if the connections are clean + solid. IF the latter is the problem SOMETIMES it works and sometimes during driving the connections may loosen etc.

good luck

crispy
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I will add to when bennjamin said, i would get the alternator checked. Best way to do this is at an auto elec, or even an autobarn... maybe repco. They can do a full charging system test and diagnose any problems... Should be free too so yeah, this would be a good place to start

VTECMadness
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
How long does the alternator usually last? My car has done 180,000 kms.
I have driven about 10,000 kms since the problem first started and it has not got any better or worse. If it is the alternator, wouldn't the problem have gotten worse over time or does it usually take a lot longer.?

Where are all the ground wires located?

ECU-MAN
08-11-2005, 10:05 PM
check the ground wire on the thermostat housing.

also make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight

VTECMadness
19-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I have got my alternator checked out and it tested ok.

Is anyone able to shed anymore light onto this problem?