PDA

View Full Version : Dc2r Clutch gone?

IntegriliciouS
13-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey peeps
I dont know what it is in my dc2r but lately when ive been driving at 4th and 5th gear and i hammer down the accelerator, the car sounds as if its skips and then catches on and then continues accelerating!

Its hard to explain but heres an example: Say im on 2500rpm or so going 45kph on 3rd, when i shift into 4th and hammer my foot down it seems like the rev needle jumps and then drops and then continues accelerating normally....im not sure whats wrong, this also happens in 5th gear as well!
Funny enough it doesnt happen in 1st 2nd or 3rd. My guess is the clucth is gone but im not sure!

What you guys rekon?
BTW the car is 50,000km (how often do u need to change the clutch on a dc2r on average?)

Cheers :D

madgrk
13-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Sure it isnt misfiring???? Try going about 30 km/h then dropping it into 5th and flooring it on even ground. If it stalls, your clutch is fine.

mpd076-chuck
13-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Driving in 4th or 5th at low revs then accelerating is a classic clutch test... but it shouldn't skip, it should rev high then slide down until it catches. If you start in 1st then pop the clutch with about 4000rpm does it chirp/wheelspin or slip? If it slips it is on the way out. 50,000km's is pretty low, I know one ITR with 140,000kms on stock clutch.

Perhaps check you spark plugs for signs of misfires or if they need to be replaced.

cheebye
13-03-2004, 09:22 PM
clutch slip is quite noticeable if it's the case. if the engine rpm just goes up like hell without the car actually moving or accelerating much at all, I'd say the clutch is slipping and time for a replacement. It might tend to do it more on lower gears as there is more engine load.

totti
13-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Say im on 2500rpm or so going 45kph on 3rd, when i shift into 4th and hammer my foot down it seems like the rev needle jumps and then drops and then continues accelerating normally....im not sure whats wrong, this also happens in 5th gear as well!

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, therefore your clutch is on its last days :(

A'PEXi
13-03-2004, 11:57 PM
and what would cause this problem? :P

madgrk
14-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Bad hardass launches whilst proving to the ladies how manly your big H is :P

Because really, with 50,000 km you should really be on a standard clutch unless you drive like a spastic, or ride your clutch alllllllllllllllllll the way home :D

IntegriliciouS
14-03-2004, 02:47 PM
thanks peepz!
im gonna take it to get checked out!
From the sounds of it it seems as if my clutch is gone.

Any reccomendations of where to get a new clutch for my DC2R? And roughly how much it would be?

Cheers!

mpd076-chuck
14-03-2004, 09:24 PM
The minimum you should get is an Exedy organic stage 1 clutch for Type R($650). Increases force by about 30%. Get a lightweight flywheel as well such as Toda. Total Cost about $1500 fitted for clutch and flywheel but most seasoned honda owners recommend it as the best mod, over suspension, exhaust etc.

The ultimate is the Exedy/Cusco/Ogura Hyper or Super Single clutch.

The aim with clutch and flywheel is to reduce weight which in turn increases performance and responsiveness. The Super Single clutches are the lighest weight combination clutch/flywheel - AFAIK.