PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Gears...

Tarks
09-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Just a quick question, when you change the gears on a tip car, ive been told its bad to back off the accelerator while changing the gears like goin up a gear (possibly down too?)...does any1 know if this is tru or not?

for instance, goin up a gear, u let go of accelerator then gear up n then accelerate again (sorta givin it that manual car look/feel lol).

redliner
09-11-2005, 11:05 AM
i think its the same concept as change gears in manual car, you just have to ease off the accelerator shift up or down and accelerate again. Its pretty much timing, or you'll get that jerky feel, as to manual.

chicken8
09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
its good to back off then change

as opposed to just flat changing

because theres less stress on your gears

i used tiptronic maybe 10 times in all the time i had my prelude

pretty useless IMO

Captiva_Blue
09-11-2005, 12:49 PM
There is actually not much point to backing off the accelerator when changing up or down in an auto (with tipshift or just a straight Low, 2, 3, Drive gate). It won't harm your gearbox by keeping your foot flat, its no different to keeping your foot flat when the box is in auto mode. About the only thing it does is slow down the shift time while the box's ECU tries to figure out what the hell you're doing..

Flanderz
09-11-2005, 01:11 PM
There designed so you can change gear's without taking ur foot off the gas, and so that you can slow down the car with ur gears and brakes for corners etc. But still, I think they are more novelty than anything, you either go manual or auto lol.

Tarks
09-11-2005, 02:24 PM
lol eh im lookin to buy a tip lude...only reason coz i havnt driven manual (yes ive read numerous threads about how most people prefer manual and u drive a manual but steer an auto, etc) but im just lazy :D i drive my mums dc5 sometimes n thats got tip n seems fun enuf to drive around for me :D hehe
I raised the question coz i was told its bad to back off accelerator but obviously i was told fibs! lol

kayot1k
09-11-2005, 08:16 PM
hey i hear the new cars with the tippy dont lagg as much as the older ones do.
like just as quick as if u were driving manual.

aaronng
09-11-2005, 08:43 PM
The shift is fast, but there is still a tiny lag. Acceleration-wise though, the tip will always be slower than a manual because of the torque convertor not being 100% efficient. The only time when a tip/auto accelerates better is when you have heaps of torque that will exceed your tyre's grip.

Tarks
11-11-2005, 01:09 PM
The only time when a tip/auto accelerates better is when you have heaps of torque that will exceed your tyre's grip.

and in some cases, depending on teh car, tip should beat manual off take/1st gear..

bennjamin
11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
and in some cases, depending on teh car, tip should beat manual off take/1st gear..

id think its more efficient and quicker too to let the automatic take care of it - with overdrive enabled too.
If u try triptonically , the 1st to second change is jerky ive found .

Jus-10
11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Tip style shifts is nothing more than a friggen gimmick...at the end of the day it's still an auto box albeit with "more advanced" programming...nothing more.

You don't need to back off on these boxes...as stated, it's just a gimmick.

BMW, Alfa, Fez, Lambo, Mazza, etc have propper sequential MANUAL gearboxes (with an auto/self-changing function for city driving) and sometimes with these cars it can be benefitial to back off on upchanges when you're just cruising around....

Man even Porsche's piece of shit Tiptronic is just a glorified automatic (with something like an $8k price-tag - why you would buy an auto Porka has confused me since they released Tiptronic over 10 years ago)

Captiva_Blue
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
id think its more efficient and quicker too to let the automatic take care of it - with overdrive enabled too.
If u try triptonically , the 1st to second change is jerky ive found .

A little off topic here but just so you know, Overdrive in an auto has nothing to do with the first 3 gears and switching it on or off will make no difference to the way it gets off the line.

The overdrive button just changes whether or not you have access to fourth gear (or fifth, sixth or seventh depending on how many gears you have). In a 4 speed box for instance, When OD it off, you effectively have a 3 speed gearbox, when it's on, you have access to your overdrive gear.

Unless you have a trick new gearbox with adaptive shift programs, shifting manually or leaving it in auto will make no difference in how it gets off the line. Thats all determined by the torque convertor and how efficient it is at transmitting the engine's drive to the wheels.

It's just a little myth I thought I should dispell:D... End Rant.

bennjamin
12-11-2005, 12:18 AM
A little off topic here but just so you know, Overdrive in an auto has nothing to do with the first 3 gears and switching it on or off will make no difference to the way it gets off the line.

The overdrive button just changes whether or not you have access to fourth gear (or fifth, sixth or seventh depending on how many gears you have). In a 4 speed box for instance, When OD it off, you effectively have a 3 speed gearbox, when it's on, you have access to your overdrive gear.

Unless you have a trick new gearbox with adaptive shift programs, shifting manually or leaving it in auto will make no difference in how it gets off the line. Thats all determined by the torque convertor and how efficient it is at transmitting the engine's drive to the wheels.

It's just a little myth I thought I should dispell:D... End Rant.

Thats cool - personally i keep overdrive on constant wehn driving my ex's car , so i assumed it "reved" out every gear :thumbsup:

Still , we agree that triptronic is a gimic and also slower than auto mode :cool:

BiLL|z0r
12-11-2005, 11:46 AM
On the Euro the "tiptronic" is faster, as in std auto mode you have less chance of hitting VTEC. It seems to change just b4 6000rpm which is when VTEC kicks in. You can also keep the revs up higher, hence keeping the car in the power band more foten than in auto mode.

aaronng
12-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I found that for cars with an Overdrive button, the transmission tends to want to shift to 4th as quick as possible. This was on a Camry 2.2L model. Under light throttle, 3rd gear's duration was very short and it went into 4th as soon as it could. Without the overdrive on, 4th gear was locked out so 3rd gear could be used to the full extent. Under heavy throttle though, I think overdrive doesn't make a big difference, maybe shifting to 4th before being anywhere close to redline.

Honda's auto trans are a bit different. On the CD accord, the auto box of the one I drove used each gear equally without shifting to 4th as soon as it could. There was no overdrive button.

Also, with the overdrive button, car manufacturers are essentially providing a "3" gate on the auto trans without needing to add a physical stop to the shift lever. All you need is a "1/L", "2" and "D"

Tarks
12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I find if i keep overdrive off in my car, it revs higher and gears are extended before changing...still goes to 4th with or without the overdrive on. Also goes thru more petrol since it revs higher...for instance if i cruise with overdrive on it will stay round the 2-3k rev range but with overdrive off it hits over 3-4k while cruisin and thats not giving it any hits..