View Full Version : Head Units - What to look for

Bol
14-03-2004, 08:26 PM
What should you look for?

Sub control?
Power?
RCA preouts?

What else?
Do the rca's go to the amp? so if you have 1 rca out, you can have 1 amp... or does it work another way?

And if i get a 4 x 50 HU, and my car has 6 speakers.... what happens?

And if i have 2 din compartments, one for a HU, what can i do with the other one? (atm there is a cd player and radio/cassette taking up each din) So if i take it out and stick another HU it, what can i put there?

And the stock wiring is working fine, so is there an real need to change it?

poid
14-03-2004, 09:56 PM
basically sub control is a good thing to have, its great to be able to adjust the bass level

Head unit power...not important really i dont think. The 50x4 etc are quoted max power figures, the real RMS ratings are 15-20WRMS per channel on even the most powerful head units

Yeh RCA's go to the amp. Even with 1 RCA out, you can split the signal to more than 1 amp

6 speakers standard? they will be wired in such a way that they will effectivelky be 4 channels. Otherwise you'll just need crossovers (i assume 2 of the speakers are tweeters)

you can stick a map pocket in the other din slot, etc

stock wiring will be fine :)

Bol
14-03-2004, 10:20 PM
OK, that sounds good

2 are tweeters, so does that mean they share channels with the front speakers?

The power rating doesn't really mean much after you get an amp, right?

and where can i get a map pocket din, and does it have to be honda or will any brand fit?

thanks for the help!

LUD02C
15-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Ask people about decks!
Ask your friends or make a post and ask people about the brands and what the pro's and con's are!

I would tell you that Pioneer for under $1,200 would be the way to go!
I spent $600 on my deck whick is Panasonic and it's the stupidest thing i've done!

I kicked it the other day and broke the peice of shit!

SIKCVC
15-03-2004, 12:13 PM
basicly the higher your preout voltage the higher quallity sound you'll get. Sub controls good and usefull but personally I just keep mine in the mean possition and tuned the amp around that. I very rarely touch it while I'm driving.

I recomend something with 4 RCA outs with at least 4volt Pre-out if your after quality, you really dont want any less than 4RCA out you'll find tuning a bitch and the suround sound lacks luster.

With that said, i'm bias so I say go eclipse 5441. If not that then the new clarion with the 800 odd colours, not only is it unreal graphics/cosmeticly but its got 4volt pre-out and not bad power while you wait for your amps.

McChook
15-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I use a Nakamichi CD-45z. It is ownage. no flashy lights, just great sound

LUD02C
17-03-2004, 01:38 PM
I use a Nakamichi CD-45z. It is ownage. no flashy lights, just great sound

The shire boy brings up an good point.
Usually head unit's with all the flashy crap don't produce as good sound as one without flashly stuff.. (read that in some Car audio mag)

Javed
17-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Ok here goes...

You want to look for a deck that has good rep along with the sound quality to match. Nakamichi are the perfect example of quality. However their decks can be quite pricey. Alot of people agree that eclipse offer some beautiful decks also. First of all determine your budget and work from there. Are you looking fior new or second hand? How many amps do you want to run? I shouldn't do this but I would wanr you to stay away from the cheaper range decks like sony xplod, pioneer etc (contrary to this the higher models are meant to be decent). I myself own a Clarion DXZ-715 with 24 bit DAC 3 sets of 4 volt preouts, subwoofer control and alot of other things. Alpine make very good decks as well IMO. head on over to www.caraudioaustralia.com and become a member of the forums there, some great blokes with awesome advice and suggestions that will suit your budget. Remember, do not rush into anything and do NOT let salesmen tell you what to buy.

Hope this helps,
Javed

McChook
17-03-2004, 03:11 PM
The Nakamichi heads are very expensive, but a worthwhile investment. It'll last forever. One day when I am rich I'll step up to a Nakamichi CD-7XX series and a Nakamichi stacker.

Nuttz
18-03-2004, 10:57 PM
1 thing i notice with the nakamichis is that they cant handle the bumps very well..

SIKCVC
18-03-2004, 11:09 PM
huh??? whats this stuff about handling pumps... I've never heard a HU skip except a standard one in a N15 pulsar.

Where abouts are you man, that might help then perhaps we could point you in the right direction for a car audio shop...

McChook
18-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, my Nakamichi doesn;t skip unless you really hit a deep pot hole. In my old car, it was a bit stiff, and hitting anything savage caused a skip. But I have heard worse - panasonics skip on speed bumps at 10km/h

SIKCVC
18-03-2004, 11:55 PM
are you searial? my eclipse has never skipped and i've hit bumps hard enough i thought i buckled a rim/punctured a tyre.

McChook
19-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Eh, like it matters. I avoid bumps like the plague. Price you pay for quality I guess

SIKCVC
19-03-2004, 12:18 AM
hahahahaha too right. People must think we're all crazzy... that or suffering from parkensons.

McChook
19-03-2004, 12:20 AM
ahaha, yeah.
Can;t wait til I get my new splits though... should be great

4thGenExi
20-03-2004, 10:35 AM
I use an Eclipse 3421 and its fabulous. Unless the thing breaks I'll never replace it. Price was very competitive ($500) and it has everything you need.

Sound quality: blitzes the topline //////lLPINE hands down
3 preouts: with subwoofer level control
clean lines: no rice
security: one of the most effective theft deterrent systems available

A'PEXi
21-03-2004, 01:21 AM
and who stocks these nakamichi decks?

McChook
21-03-2004, 01:31 AM
http://www.fhrxstudios.com/

They are not cheap, but Marty, cruises these forums and will help you out.

wynode
21-03-2004, 01:44 AM
and who stocks these nakamichi decks?

Even Lifestyle store stock them (Im pretty sure)........

McChook
21-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Really??

Well, have a look at them there, but Marty really is the man. He'll "look after you", guaranteed.

Redteg
22-03-2004, 07:10 AM
I'd go Nakamichi based purely on its looks, I'm really hanging to buy a deck that looks stock yet outperforms most anything else.

If my deck hadn't died on the lead up to rego month I would have most certainly bought one.

McChook
22-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Nakamichi CD-700 ??

PLEASE DO
if you have a lazy few grand lying around
Once again, Marty at FHRX will help you out. I think he has one in his car, but the rest of the equipment is top shelf.. might not be fair to listen to it....

I might have a spare CD-45z if my dad wants to sell it to you....

Redteg
22-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Next year...

Still have it good with the Sony people so I got me a Sony deck again

I know, I shouldn't have...