PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable coilovers

STTICH
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Got some question for the pros here..

wth the adjustables.. (using the pic below as example), if it is to set to the lowest setting..are we able to the off the bottom part (pointed wth red arrow) so allowing it to sit another cm lower ??

http://img496.imageshack.us/img496/5075/p101000777775lj.jpg

bennjamin
10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
NO !

DO NOT REMOVE THE BOTTOM LOCKING GUIDE....it holds the upper mount inplace after you have adjusted the height and holds considerable weight too im sure. Be safe !

STTICH
10-11-2005, 05:22 PM
yes benjamin.. i understand the bottom part is to hold up the height in place. wat if it was set to the lowest lowest where there isnt any more room to turn? would the bottom part still b useful?

Zdster
10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
As Ben said, even at the lowest point it is still holding the suspension together once on the car - ie it is doing something.

bennjamin
10-11-2005, 05:35 PM
yes benjamin.. i understand the bottom part is to hold up the height in place. wat if it was set to the lowest lowest where there isnt any more room to turn? would the bottom part still b useful?

the 2 platforms may slide all the way to the bottom and SEEM to sit OK , but regardless where the bottom perch sits , it needs the lower perch to hold it.
Im sure if you carried out your plan , the shock would soon collapse while driving :thumbdwn:

Try slightly lower springs if u can get them made for the coilovers otherwise what else ? Just dont muck aroudn with ur cars suspension too muchin the wrong direction :cool:

STTICH
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
i understand wat u mean. thanks ben :thumbsup:

and if it is a different case..where the platforms are not holding any wieghts (if set lowest?) instead..it is only just being pushed on the weight. turning right the way up to the top (is the lowest point), will taking away one platform affect the suspension?
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/FD/18/51164157-91b1-01E00280-.jpg

bennjamin
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
correct me if i am wrong , but the same principle applies - except the force is pushing up against the perches instead of down. Regardless , dont muck around with the intended design :)

Jus-10
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
on the rear i"m pretty sure you can run without the height adjusters...I remember checking it out befire I installed mine and it all looked OK.

In that pic above, you still have about 1.5inches left to lower it.....you usually have it lower than in that pic right?

STTICH
10-11-2005, 09:56 PM
tat pic is not off my car jus..its just an example photo.

CoZZm0
10-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Don't forget that if you do manage to lower it futher by removing one of the compoents, you're then running the shock absorber assembly well out of its designed stroke range and could damage the damer itself.
DO NOT REMOVE THE SECOND RING, how many people do you need to post telling you not to do it to understand that you should not do it?

aozora
11-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Yer as said... reason behind the need for the second adjustable platform is to "lock" the one above it into place. As under stress and vibration with just one, the platform will eventually lower and.... bang, all of a sudden you'll have a very dumped side of the car :p

I'm sure it'll already be low enough at lowest setting anyway? Or look into replacement springs...?