PDA

View Full Version : Honda Experts

SIKCVC
14-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey guys just looking for contact details/Usernames of anyone who would be concidered a bit of a honda expert... in the racing area. Just need some good thorough advice on a strong reliable set up.

wynode
14-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm thinking this might belong better inthe Technical section.

Please say if you want it moved there.

SIKCVC
14-03-2004, 09:46 PM
well so long as enough people will see it... But yeah I agree it would be better suited there, if you wouldn't mind that is.

McChook
14-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Racing Hondas??
As in Circuit or drag?? If it is circuit, under what catagory??

SIKCVC
14-03-2004, 10:46 PM
circuit... well I'm just looking to get into amature and move on to targa type events when I'm older and have more driving experience, at this stage its mroe of a trial type thing so i just want my car legal and for daily driving but also a bit of guts to get round a track

McChook
14-03-2004, 11:04 PM
I suggest you start out in club events, such as supersprints and lap dashes. check ut the CAMS website (www.cams.com.au) and read up on them, and how to obtain your club licence.

For such events, you merely need a car. Has to be scruitenered to a decent standard, so make sure you bring all your wheels nuts... Also, You need a helmet (from $300), a fire extinguisher (from $150) and a belt for a quick release for the bonnet (if you don't have bonnet pins). On the days, there is always someone to helpy uo with things like this. Also need to sticky tape (racing tape) over glass lights. Perspex covered lights don't need it. Helps if you can bring a set of numbers for the side of ou car and a white or black square to stick the numbers on to.

Once you learn tracks and what you are doing, then worry about going fast. Track time is more essential than any modification.

Later on, start with suspension. Castor Kits, rear stabiliser bar, good coilovers or shocks and springs, strut braces, camber kit, then brake rotors, pads. THEN, maybe think about the engine. Horsepower is useless if you can;t make it work

Kit
14-03-2004, 11:04 PM
what i would recommend you do is to work on your skills first.

the best mod you can do is your own skills, last time i saw (a while ago now) $500 would get you into an advanced driving course with someone like Ian Luff or Peter Finley etc.

once your skills are up to scratch, start doing a few track days with your car while its still stock.

the reason for this is you want to drive the car and mod it the way that you want.... way too many ppl mod their car to extremes without knowing how it affects the characteristics of the car, that way, they never know the car as well as they should, and the car controls them, not the other way round.

once you get a better feel for the car (and learn to drive it on the limit) you know its shortcomings and then can adjust and mod it to your driving style.

not much advice for you on mods (cos really, how long is a piece of string?), but if you are looking to compete, its really important you get the basics right and start rigth down at the bottom.

SIKCVC
14-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Guys please I just need advice On a good set up, I will be upgrading everything at once (ie brakes shock absorbers and looking at sway bars) while my cars on the hoist so that way its only out of action for one stint.

McChook
14-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Koni Yellow coilover kit, king spring helpers, 22mm adjustable rear stabilizer bar, whiteline Castor and Camber kits, front and rear strut brace, DBA slotted (not drilled) rotors with Bendix Ultimate pads. Get all brake lines braided. Go to a lightweight 16" wheel so you can run larger discs at a later stage. Use an R series tyre such as Yoko A032R, or Bridgestone RE55. IF you yoko A032R, get them in the supersoft compound

McChook
14-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I suggest you read this article as well.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/RH_Civic95a.htm

and go to www.whiteline.com.au . May as well order all the suspension through whiteline.

SIKCVC
14-03-2004, 11:53 PM
thanks for the advice... should handle like its on rails :D

McChook
14-03-2004, 11:57 PM
There are no fast cars, only fast drivers.

Kit
15-03-2004, 08:44 AM
although i'm bound to cause a big uproar here, personally, i would stay away from the locally made stuff, try to get japanese parts if you can afford it

McChook
15-03-2004, 08:55 AM
No one in Japan makes castor kits, nor can they specifically make a stabiliser bar... Castor kits are rare as well. Castor and camber kits normally come from the USA, the japanese like to drill holes, the americans like to make a kit.

Kit
15-03-2004, 04:33 PM
No one in Japan makes castor kits, nor can they specifically make a stabiliser bar... Castor kits are rare as well. Castor and camber kits normally come from the USA, the japanese like to drill holes, the americans like to make a kit.

McChook,
you're right, i haven't seen any japanese caster or camber kits, i have seen a few from the US, but i really dont know why there aren't any jap brands that do these for Honda.

about the stabilizer bars, there should be a few japanese branded ones on the market, Mugen, Spoon are two (expensive ones I know) that come to mind.

Chris

BoneZeeŽ
15-03-2004, 05:31 PM
I would say www.onlineperformance.com.au Jim comes onto the fourm now and then. user name is Online :)

McChook
15-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Stabiliser bars are stabiliser bars. Australian's own that industry. We have K-mac, pedders and whitelien to name a few. You walk into anywhere and name a size, ask for it adjustable and off you go. The japanese ones are nothing special.

Japanese don't make those sort of thins because they don't use them. Japanese subistitute everything with extremely stiff springs and shocks, and thats it. Comparitively hopeless when it comes to suspension tuning.

And as for other japanese suspension products For shocks, the best in group 3 are Proflexes (Aussie), and other brands such as Koni, Bilstein etc make both group 2 and 3 shocks, but don't touch the Proflexes. And the best of the best shocks (Group 4's) come from Europe. The brand of Shock that whiteline now sell are a group 4 shock from Scandinavia. Very expensive, but the best. I believe the brand name shocks from japan are mostly rebadged shocks from other companies. Tein are obviously one of the manuacturers, but Tanabe, I believe are not... But Springs. I prefer to use cold wound springs on the road, so springs such as Eibachs, H&R, Jamex etc... Custom wise, we have them made here. The japanese springs are often too stiff and with weird progressive rates - they go very hard very quickly. Quality though, is still there, but the ride, especially on Aussie roads, is not pleasant.

The americans make the kit stuf, and make it very well. But how many of you even know what a castor kit is?? Most probably don't know what castor is.
So, from experience, I will say that Japan is not the best place to look for suspension components.

tofu R
15-03-2004, 06:25 PM
funny to see some people fully jump up and start posting like theres no tommorrow
when the term honda experts comes up.. * PICK ME * * PICK ME *

i am no honda expert .. but how many of the above sussy have u tried?
all of them ? all on the same car? have u tried all the stabilizer bars?
how can u qualify yourself to give such expert knowledge ..

gross generalisation is for the ignorant.
its just another case of "my dick is bigger than yours" how can u ever know until everyone stands around and flops it out ?

oh btw u neglected to mention that these killer jamex springs can be purchased from yours truly.. go on .. sell him a set ..

Kit
15-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Stabiliser bars are stabiliser bars. Australian's own that industry. We have K-mac, pedders and whitelien to name a few. You walk into anywhere and name a size, ask for it adjustable and off you go. The japanese ones are nothing special.

Japanese don't make those sort of thins because they don't use them. Japanese subistitute everything with extremely stiff springs and shocks, and thats it. Comparitively hopeless when it comes to suspension tuning.

And as for other japanese suspension products For shocks, the best in group 3 are Proflexes (Aussie), and other brands such as Koni, Bilstein etc make both group 2 and 3 shocks, but don't touch the Proflexes. And the best of the best shocks (Group 4's) come from Europe. The brand of Shock that whiteline now sell are a group 4 shock from Scandinavia. Very expensive, but the best. I believe the brand name shocks from japan are mostly rebadged shocks from other companies. Tein are obviously one of the manuacturers, but Tanabe, I believe are not... But Springs. I prefer to use cold wound springs on the road, so springs such as Eibachs, H&R, Jamex etc... Custom wise, we have them made here. The japanese springs are often too stiff and with weird progressive rates - they go very hard very quickly. Quality though, is still there, but the ride, especially on Aussie roads, is not pleasant.

The americans make the kit stuf, and make it very well. But how many of you even know what a castor kit is?? Most probably don't know what castor is.
So, from experience, I will say that Japan is not the best place to look for suspension components.

with regards to a castor kit, the last time I asked whiteline (which i must admit was a few years ago) they didn't have a castor kit for any model of civic either.

I won't quote any names or brands, but I have seen quite a few locally made suspension products where the quality and finish has been less than desireable, once again a few years ago though. So perhaps they have come a long way since then.

You're right about the japanese tending to go for stiff suspension setups, but they are now making setups that are more suited to road driving. Once upon a time, stuff like the Tein HR, they were so hard that you couldnt even adjust your radio while driving :)

Kit
15-03-2004, 06:48 PM
funny to see some people fully jump up and start posting like theres no tommorrow

its just another case of "my dick is bigger than yours" how can u ever know until everyone stands around and flops it out ?

oh btw u neglected to mention that these killer jamex springs can be purchased from yours truly.. go on .. sell him a set ..

hahaha, i hope that wasnt directed at me... cos i definately aint a honda expert, i can only comment on what i have seen in the past :)

tanghy
15-03-2004, 06:48 PM

jap camber KITS avail
section
http://www.silkroad-jp.com/img/section/sus_arm/uroega.jpg
from vision
http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/2-kit_i05.jpg
http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/adjrear_eg.jpg

whiteline doesn't even have camber kits as good as these..
they only offer eeccentric offset links

jap don't make kits? wonder where u got that from?

jap swaybars
cusco
tanabe

also have to wonder why sube owners have to change to alloy swaybar links since whiteline units are "so good" and snap under hard use...

will be good that you actually do some research b4 shooting your mouth off everytime claiming JAMEX or Whiteline is best

it's ok if they're really good, just not ok that you're trying to peddle them at every fella who's coming online asking for advice

SIKCVC
15-03-2004, 07:38 PM
well since I keep getting mixed message from so many "experts" I think the only way to decide will be to test the stuff out... fat chance of that.

tofu R
15-03-2004, 08:12 PM

hahaha, i hope that wasnt directed at me... cos i definately aint a honda expert, i can only comment on what i have seen in the past :)

hehe
no mate not aimed at you ..
8)

bennjamin
15-03-2004, 10:04 PM
just buy a f**king holden mate! japanese made shit parts and dont know what they r doing. sell the JAP HONDA and get a fully sick ute. mr *i know all* or mr *pick me* or mr *honda expert*

ofcourse....its funny that the only real racial alternative to "knock" straight away is....white people.Mate.

I didnt realise there is a reprasentaa of tru JDM here (IE actual Japanese)- from what i can see its only a bunch of rich students who think they are " Tofu shingo initial D master" and poor whiteboys with slow ZC's ;)

tanghy
15-03-2004, 10:06 PM
just buy a f**king holden mate! japanese made shit parts and dont know what they r doing. sell the JAP HONDA and get a fully sick ute. mr *i know all* or mr *pick me* or mr *honda expert*

LOL

z10
15-03-2004, 10:06 PM
http://www.jdmyard.com/misc/dumbppl.jpg

specially dedicated to mr "i know all" or "pick me"

SIKCVC
15-03-2004, 10:11 PM
come on guys as funny as it is Bennjamin is right, i'm a poor white boy with a slow ZC and i need help. That or i'll do the unthinkable... and... buy a nissan.

Not really but i would like to go a bit quicker.

DarkCoupe
15-03-2004, 10:12 PM
pick me ... I am an expert ... ask me anything about Hondas I know it all ...

far out ... ;)

back to helpin the guy with the question please ...

McChook
15-03-2004, 10:49 PM

jap camber KITS avail
section
http://www.silkroad-jp.com/img/section/sus_arm/uroega.jpg
from vision
http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/2-kit_i05.jpg
http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/adjrear_eg.jpg

whiteline doesn't even have camber kits as good as these..
they only offer eeccentric offset links

jap don't make kits? wonder where u got that from?

jap swaybars
cusco
tanabe

also have to wonder why sube owners have to change to alloy swaybar links since whiteline units are "so good" and snap under hard use...

will be good that you actually do some research b4 shooting your mouth off everytime claiming JAMEX or Whiteline is best

it's ok if they're really good, just not ok that you're trying to peddle them at every fella who's coming online asking for advice

WOW, camber kits made in Japan. Now show me a castor kit.

I never prefessed to be an expert.
Beauty of the internet is you have no idea who you are talking to. Annominity is great. Especially when yo borrow your son's account

I could give you a reason to believe, but that would be boring. If you don't agree, prove me wrong. You obviously can;t qualify yourself, so you just wave your own expert flag. Then sell it, because you only sell Japanese parts, and told like the truth. Please, shed the light mate, Tell me something I don't know. Better go find some manufactures websites and read up quick buddy

Have I tried them all?? HELL YES. you think I would design them without trying them. And I do mean ALL of them. Springs?? Yeah, designed them too? Used more sets of springs than you have diapers mate. Should I guess at how many race cars I've worked on?? How about how many road cars?? Damn, that could take all day...

You wanna know what I have tried. Lets start by asking which I haven't tried...

Oh, and Whiteline make and sell a better bracket for the WRXs. Just because someone didn;t buy it doesn;t mean they don't have it. WRXs just come with such a pussy rear bar, the crappy brackets are too weak. It is called research, and doesn;t happen overnight. You learn lessons

Where did I claim specifically that whiteline or Jamex is the best. I don't sell whiteline parts?? I do not work for whiteline nor make money out of recommending their products.

Nice to see people taking the time to disagree rather than actually say something useful and give advice too... Rather than try to prove someone wrong or sell something

DarkCoupe
15-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I knew this post would raise controversy as soon as I saw it's title ...

should have called it ... need some advice or somethin ... :?

z10
16-03-2004, 12:49 AM
hahhahahhahahhahhahhahhahhahahhahahahha

z10
16-03-2004, 12:51 AM
building a car online doenst count tho....

McChook
16-03-2004, 12:53 AM
http://geoff2795.tripod.com/MotorSport/Hill1203/images/Pc070473.jpg

my most recent effort....
sorry, its real

McChook
16-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah, lets count all of those against how mnay posts I make. I actually don't post that everytime. I am selling out of my garage, no business here. Its called asisstance. You offer no more than a business. I'm not selling anything at a profit.

Unlike you, I don't come onto the forum to make a profit... should we count your spam on advertising.... We only need to look in the forum designed specifically for you to spam your ass off.

So come on, drop the cry baby routine and get your ass into gear and get technical. I haven't seen you prove shit since day one. Post something useful and educational. You wanna say whats best, but you don't seem to know why...

wynode
16-03-2004, 07:52 AM
The poor guy asked for some help and now everyones comparing their dicks.