PDA

View Full Version : Civic Angel Eyes with HID? whats its effect

Honda_Pda
11-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Hey people,
i just wanted to know if theres anyone who has angel eyes with the HID's?
how much brighter is it...
because atm, the brightness of the angel eyes is REALLY dim.. and doesnt really light the rd... will the HID's full on help this?
let me know please... thanks

CTR Coupe
11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Hey people,
because atm, the brightness of the angel eyes is REALLY dim.. and doesnt really light the rd... will the HID's full on help this?
You will find with a lot of those "projector headlights" you can’t actually use HID because they will melt the projector lenes. The only way you can use HID projectors is if you retro fit BMW/AUDI/Factory HID projectors into your headlights. I don't know if that can be done with aftermarket projector headlights but people have done a lot of projector retro fits into standard headlights.

typicalmale
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
my mates got aftermarket HID in with projectors on his civic sedan, and they're fine..

saxman
11-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey people,
the angel eye itself is a purely asthetic thing... it's not meant to illuminate the road...

sivic
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
well, to start with change the bulbs that came with the angel eyes. they are really dim. some better bulbs will help right away. just dont get 100w rated ones or it will melt the wiring.
HID wont melt the projector. its a myth. just because they run brighter doesnt mean they run hotter. conventional filament bulbs run hotter as they rely on the heating of a filament to create light. this is inefficient resulting in much energy being lost as heat.
HID creates light from an arc of plasma and doesnt rely on heating a medium. put your hand on a HID headlight and then on a regular headlight. you'll feel how much hotter regular ones are.
HID runs off only ~ 35w of power while regular lights need at least 55w.
the projector bulb is only effective around the city where you dont really need much light. if you need something brighter flick to the high beam

Civic_Si
11-11-2005, 01:07 PM
CTR Coupe is right. The HID bulb would melt the Projector len. I have the Angel eye projector headlight on my Civic SI 99-00 and I bought a 6500K HID kit for it. It really looks good at night. However after 10 hours or so of the HID working in the tight area of the lenes, it melts the lenes. My HIB bulbs are damaged and I have to throw away the whole headlight because they looks shit.
I think it is partly because of the poor quality of the projector headlights. Those projector headlights you see on eBay are cheap and probably fogs up and give you all the problems. I have been looking for the projector headlights from Japan for quite sometimes now but they have stop production. They are called Denji.
Anyway, I hope these information will help you. Don't install the HID into the Projector headlights. Just change to a super duper 4700K white bulb. It will not be totally white but close enough....
Cheers!

saxman
11-11-2005, 01:12 PM
go turn some hid's on and place your hand in front of the head light and do the same with a halogen light and tell me the hid doesn't put off more heat

sivic
11-11-2005, 02:05 PM
hmmm....... well S2000's, mecs, audis and BMW's must have very well insulated headlights.
i wouldnt use HID with projectors unless you get some very good projector lenses or the light projection will be crap.

CTR Coupe
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
hmmm....... well S2000's, mecs, audis and BMW's must have very well insulated headlights.
i wouldnt use HID with projectors unless you get some very good projector lenses or the light projection will be crap.
Most of the factory HID's have glass projectors. The cheaper aftermarket projectors are plastic. A lot of the aftermarket projectors are now coming with stickers that say "do not use with HID"

saxman
11-11-2005, 03:06 PM
obviously a projector assembly designed to be used with a hid bulb is going to work a whole hell of a lot better than a cheaply made aftermarket light for a civic designed for halogens at best.