PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro - Third Gear

mattpearce
11-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys,

I purchased a Honda Accord Euro in late August '05, 6SP Man, Silver.

So far I have found the vehicle to be excellent, fuel economy is fantastic on the open road however my 13km bumper to bumper drive in Sydney traffic isn't so flash - can't be helped.

I have done approx 2500km and have had the first 1000km service done.

So far the only issues I have found are as follows:

1. The centre console fabric is already starting to get shabby - I have to force myself not to rest my elbow on there while changing gears.

2. I got the vehicle tinted by the dealer, the front two windows both have the common and well known scratch issue - this occured in the first two weeks. The tinter is happy to fix this issue it's just a hassle for me to get it done.

3. This is the main issue - when I change into third gear at around 3500rpm and higher I get a whining type noise if I do not rev the vehicle, if I rev the vehicle the enging sounds sweet and gives out a beautiful note but as soon as I remove my foot from the accellerator I get the whining / graining noise.

Does anyone have any idea what the grainy/whining noise might be?

Thanks

Matt

aaronng
11-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Matt,
Congrats on your purchase.

With regards to your center armrest wear, I'd get the dealer to look at it ASAP. I've had 13000km and I rest my arm/elbow on the armrest and it's not worn yet. Mine is also the black fabric interior. Complain about it as soon as possible, then it can be put down as premature wear instead of just wear and tear.

Get the tinters to put felt on the inside of the window rubber. They might have to pull the door panel, so there is a chance that they might scratch the trim or dent it from using too much force. But with felt, the scratches won't appear so easily.

The noise could be your gearbox decelerating. Does it happen in 4th gear and at higher RPM? If you can reproduce it, show it personally to the techs at your dealer. That way you can point out exactly what you are dissatisfied about and not have them tell you that they thought nothing was wrong. :)

I'll check my car later and see if I have the same sound in 3rd gear.

mattpearce
11-11-2005, 02:30 PM
With regards to your center armrest wear, I'd get the dealer to look at it ASAP.

Yeah, good idea - i've already noticed it starting to look shabby.

Get the tinters to put felt on the inside of the window rubber.

I asked the dealer to get this done at the time and they suggested that the felt didn't last / wasn't needed.

The noise could be your gearbox decelerating. Does it happen in 4th gear and at higher RPM? If you can reproduce it, show it personally to the techs at your dealer. That way you can point out exactly what you are dissatisfied about and not have them tell you that they thought nothing was wrong. :)

It doesn't occur in any other gear other than third while revving down. It doesn't sound great, to the point my girlfriend asked me on a drive to the blue mountains if something was wrong. When the girls notice there's definately something wrong.

Thanks

Matt

eurotrash
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a similar noise only mine is an auto??? It only happens when u are coasting and apply a little throttle.

Suntzu
11-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep, I get the decelerating whine in 2nd and 3nd on mine. Showed its head at about 2000 km in my 6sp manual. :thumbdwn:

Im gunna ask about it on my 10 000km service. Its much worse if you rest your hand on the gear km also, but noticable anyways. My euros about 6 months old fYI. :cool:

aaronng
11-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I just got back. I don't notice a whining sound at 3500rpm in 3rd. Mine is like a decreasing tone version of the accelerating sound. I did notice that above 2000rpm and with medium throttle, I get a ringing sound that disappears after 4000rpm in 2nd, 3rd and probably above too. :)

chunsa
12-11-2005, 11:17 AM
does your whiney sound sound like the reverse sound?

with my car when i rev above ~4k i get a whiney sound (similar to a reverse sound).. when the engine is all warmed up it goes away

my car has about ~40k km

xiang
12-11-2005, 10:14 PM
yeah, ive noticed that too.. in 3rd gear, it does sound like the reverse sound.. but not that loud. Didn't really take notice of it at first.. then just shrugged it off..

i got about 35k km on mine...

cleary
09-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Bumping an old thread here - I noticed the whiney grinding noise in third today for the first time. My euro has 8000kms on the clock. Prior to now I've never noticed it, but it was really quite loud so I'm assuming it's only just started.

What I want to know is did anyone end up getting an answer from the dealer about whether this was a problem or not? There is another thread discussing it as well: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27016&highlight=3rd+gear+noise

aaronng
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM
That thread you posted is about a different issue. When you rest your hand on the knob in third, you get a vibration through the knob because of the shifter linkage being pulled tight. Is your whiney grinding sound happening in gear when accelerating or decelerating, with your hand on or off the stick?

cleary
10-02-2006, 11:36 AM
That thread you posted is about a different issue. When you rest your hand on the knob in third, you get a vibration through the knob because of the shifter linkage being pulled tight. Is your whiney grinding sound happening in gear when accelerating or decelerating, with your hand on or off the stick?

I didn't post a thread - just bumped this one. The problem I'm having is exactly as described in point 3 of the first post of this thread, ie:
3. This is the main issue - when I change into third gear at around 3500rpm and higher I get a whining type noise if I do not rev the vehicle, if I rev the vehicle the enging sounds sweet and gives out a beautiful note but as soon as I remove my foot from the accellerator I get the whining / graining noise.

So it's when I take my foot off the accelerator in third gear above approximately 3500rpm it makes an unusual whiny/grainy sound.

aaronng
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Ooops, I meant the link that you posted: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showth...=3rd+gear+noise