PDA

View Full Version : Civic exhaust size

Zdster
11-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

I know that this topic has been covered on many more than one occassion and yes I have searched. I would like to hear from people that actually have a big exhaust on your car.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2.3" catback piping to fit to my ek1 hatch. For those that have large diameter exhaust piping on an ek1 has the responsiveness of your car dropped? If it were your choice would you go for something smaller (I realise that most people say 2" is optimum)?

Vivski
11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Some will say 2" and others will say 2.25". I dont think there are any real dramas having 2.3" as long as you have the headers/intake airflow to match so you get the most out of it.

EDIT: Stupid me, read the post!! Didn't realise it was for an EK1. Wouldn't go more than 2" mandrel, maybe just maybe 2.25" press bent. But that's me, opinions will differ.

sivic
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
its a bit more than having the right headers and intake. if the actual engine isnt going to benefit from it then theres no point.
i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.25" on an EK1. IMO thats even too big. 2" will be optimum.
on an Si 2.25" is only just better right near redline and that has a higher reving, more powerful engine so it unlikely the EK1 will benefit anymore from a 2.25" than a 2" exhaust.
the 2.3" (60mm) exhaust would most likely have been designed for an EK4/EK9

Setanta
12-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Put it this way - I ran 1.75" on a '76 Civic that made more power than a EK1... that says it all. Get a nice shiny chrome tip and save your money until you get a motor that is actually worth doing a big exhaust for.

jackosimm
12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Get a nice shiny chrome tip and save your money until you get a motor that is actually worth doing a big exhaust for.

Always my stance, I just wacked a nice ricey cannon on when I had my EK1. You'll mainly just be helping it breath a little better, not worth the money for what you get IMO.

A.G.System
13-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Just spoke with my mate who is an exhaust fitter. He said it really depends on what you are doing with the car future modifications wise.

If you are planning on Turbo/Super Charge then dont modify the exhaust at all and wait till you get the whole lot done at the same time. saves you haveing to change it more than once. Only mod you can do is fit a 2.5"-3" /4" tip with a baffel and then change the rest later.

If just going the Vtec route (engine swap) he was saying that a 2.25"-2.5" would be the max you would want to go. Otherwise you just get noise and no power benefit.

Stock SOHC NON Vtec EK1 with no plans to fit any other engine mods he reccomended 1.75"(stock)-2". Then fit a higher flow cat and larger exhaust like mentioned above. This would mean that the car isnt too loud, has a nice rumble and at the same time can breathe well.

Personally im going the turbo route so thats the option i went for but in the end its up to you.

civicCXI
13-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I got 2.5" on my cxi, i wanted 2.25" but the guy told me 2.5" should be ok, and i was stupid enough to trust him. As a result, power loss on low rev, but if you sink ur foot and you shift right, it's really pulling.......but i'm gonna change it to 2".........2.5" is way too big for d series

Qwooootz
13-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Ive got a hi-tech system 2.5" catback, with a magnaflow highflow cat on my EM1.. i was considering of changing down to a 2.25" as alot of people have nagged me too :p but knowing how well the car goes as soon as its got its momentum after 1st and 2nd gear, i think its worth it in the long run, as 3rd and 4th gears makes up for the lag..:thumbsup: :cool:

if its enuff to munch up those 4L rust buckets im happy.;)

TYPE-ONE
13-11-2005, 07:00 PM
my zorst is stock rite now. but i think i'll do a 2 to 2.25 inch catback with no resonator. From the cat to the axle will be 2 inch. then 2.25 from axle to muffler.

Any objections to this approach?

civicCXI
13-11-2005, 07:11 PM
:p but knowing how well the car goes as soon as its got its momentum after 1st and 2nd gear, i think its worth it in the long run, as 3rd and 4th gears makes up for the lag..:thumbsup: :cool:

i agree, 1st and 2nd are really going, but 3rd and 4th are so lagging with 2.5" on cxi

TYPE-ONE
13-11-2005, 07:17 PM
i agree, 1st and 2nd are really going, but 3rd and 4th are so lagging with 2.5" on cxi

2.5 is just way too big. I really wonder where some of the exhaust fitters are educated. Same thing happened to my friend. He was recommended to use 2.25 inch in a ED GL. not good.

Zdster
13-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys for the practical feedback - seems as though I should be looking more closely to a 2" system :thumbsup:.

Menzy
14-11-2005, 07:23 AM
hmm, well id say im in the same shoes as Zdster, ive got a ek1, which im thinking of fitting an exhaust system, ive got lots of friends that have hondas and id say 90% use 2.25' which really gets the car going... the only thing i wouldnt have a clue is the resonater ... what would suit an ek1 with a 2.25'?

Setanta
14-11-2005, 07:36 AM
hmm, well id say im in the same shoes as Zdster, ive got a ek1, which im thinking of fitting an exhaust system, ive got lots of friends that have hondas and id say 90% use 2.25' which really gets the car going... the only thing i wouldnt have a clue is the resonater ... what would suit an ek1 with a 2.25'?

A B16A because your mates are wrong :)

Still, your money - go to an exhaust shop and tell 'em you really want to spend a lot of money for minimal response - I'm sure they'll hook you up with something - and maybe try to sell you a harbour bridge too :)

Menzy
14-11-2005, 09:34 AM
ok well ur still not answering my qn ... ur jst going on about god knows wat

Vivski
14-11-2005, 12:52 PM
What's the standard exhaust diameter on the EK1?

Zdster
14-11-2005, 12:55 PM
What's the standard exhaust diameter on the EK1?

I think from memory it is around 1.75".

Civic Type R
14-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Im still only using a 2.25" full cat back with my JDM B18cR.
Its good enough for me.

Get no bigger than a 2.25 for your CXi. But you may be better with a 2" size piping. Keep in mind the drone you will also get from larger sized pipes. Get a 18" resonator as this will help keep the noise levels down too.

Setanta
14-11-2005, 08:52 PM
ok well ur still not answering my qn ... ur jst going on about god knows wat

Actually - I'm going on the fact that you have NFI about how useless exhaust mods are for your motor :)

Here's a subtle hint if you don't understand: ANY mods to your exhaust are a complete (!!! for emphasis) and utter waste of money unless a) you get a decent performance motor, b) bolt on a turbo, c) spend a small fortune on a mini-me, d) spend a large fortune on cam, ECU, high comp mods etc.

You have given us a bog, stock motor as your baseline and I'm telling you now (as are others) that your mates are full of it and you're going to waste money on that motor :)

Is that answering your question enough or are you going to continue kidding yourself that you will actually get a performance increase at the wheels out of an oversized exhaust/muffler/cat???

*sigh* :(