PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With My Tranny?

B|ade
15-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,

As you dudes probably know, I'm looking at doing something with my transmission.

A part of me is going with the manual conversion but I am also weighing up whether to just strengthen the auto and have it basically bulletproof. Atm, my car holds boost really really well and I've been told that this will deterioriate if I go with the manual transmission.

If I get the Shifttronic, torque converter and the actual transmission strengthened (read bulletproofed), then it's gonna end up being slightly more than the manual conversion but maybe heaps more worth it?

Level 10 are an american company, check em out here: http://www.levelten.com

The car is 100% street-driven and I want to keep it this way (that's also why I'm leaning towards the auto as with the Shifttronic I basically have a clutchless manual for dragging).

What do you guys think? The strengthening basically makes the box handle 40 pounds of boost and 1000hp (ridiculous I know but its good to know your tranny is never gonna **** up)

Calvo
15-03-2004, 07:20 PM
sif stay auto sam!!!

u kno u wanna make it manual, and u can strenghten the manual later on down the track...

cmon, it'll be way more fun :D

B|ade
15-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Yea thats true

But ill basically have manual neway if I got the shifttronic man

Think of it as like a clutchless manual or something

Drag racing wise, I'll probably pull better times with the auto anyway

Ah I dunno too many goddamn choices :(

poid
15-03-2004, 08:19 PM
i dont understand why the car wouldnt hold boost as well with the manual. Personally i would go with the manual tranny, as the auto will still rob more power to the wheels and even when built i think they are more susceptible to damage. With a manual, the clutch is usually what lets go first, saving the tranny...with auto its not as clear cut (though usually torque converter will let go).

Honda autos just arent up to scratch with lots of power running through them

B|ade
15-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Yea I know what you mean man

Its ****ed cause I hear different arguments both for and against the maual conversion

Strength wise the auto will definitely hold out more than the manual (when its strengthened).

I mean, if you look at any car that runs under a 10.5 1/4 mile, they're gonna have an auto tranny (not that I'm gonna go that insane but I guess that's where my focus is and that's what I'm building the car towards).

Too complicated

I'm gonna call these guys tonight and have a chat anyway

CHU85
15-03-2004, 11:24 PM
dude just go the f22a manual tranny.
I'm goin to be using mine as soon as my engine is done.
Looking to push about 300-400whp. The tranny should be up to it if u don't drive it like ur the fastest shifter on the planet. Treat it right and it'll be alright.

Hey Poid u still interested about the build up?

poid
16-03-2004, 07:24 AM
yeh blade, i hear stuff for and against the Level 10 strengthening as well though. Meh i say go with whatever will be cheapest! The manual will easily handle the power you have now, and as chubs said will be fine even to 300-400hp. More than you can handle on the street really.

Bear in mind that any F or H series manual tranny will bolt up to your engine as well

chubs mate always interested about the build up :)

Spoon-Accord
16-03-2004, 07:49 AM
u noe wat u should do too??
get like a staller.. say about 2.5k??
i wqas thinking of doing that do my previous car..
its pretty good too since u got turbo bruva

:D

Ken

B|ade
16-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Yea man

Spoke to the guys in America and for $402 American I can get my automatic tranny good for 475hp.

Add on top of that however much itll cost me for someone out here to actually fit all the stuff and then the torque converter on top of that as well and I think its gonna end up being shitloads cheaper than the manual.

Meh

I dunno

poid
16-03-2004, 08:48 AM
does that include shipping all the stuff out here etc?

i guess it'll depend on how much all the labour etc will be hey

A'PEXi
16-03-2004, 09:10 AM
the shiftronic sounds better... 1000hp and 40 pounds, not bad at all :D besides, you'll have a auto to cruise around in when your lazy haha...

CHU85
16-03-2004, 12:17 PM
hey blade, if u get the tranny from the states u'll end up spending quite abit.
shipping should cost u about 200us cos its so heavy. Once it arrives in aus u'll be up for 10%gst on the cost of the tranny then 15% on top of tranny+tax+shipping costs. Bloody taxes!
ONe way to bypass that is to tell the shop to send it over to u as a pressie or something along those lines. Make sure there is no receipt for the product so that it'll be difficult for them to tax u

poid
16-03-2004, 12:41 PM
chubs you got it the wrong way around i believe, its 15% duty on the cost of the tranny and 10% GST on the cost of the tranny+shipping+duty
Though the way i read it, Level 10 are planning to send the parts rather than the whole tranny?

CHU85
16-03-2004, 02:50 PM
i think u've got it right poid. i didn't read it too well.
if its just the parts then a gearbox shop is goin to rip him a new arse hole.
Most gearbox shops are soooo expensive its not funny.
My mechanic replaced my hub and synchros for 3rd and 4th at wayyyy less then wat the shop quoted me.
Good luck Blade!

The way i see it just go the manual tranny. Less probs and straight fitment except for the pedal parts and the manual shifter...

Poid: My engine has just been resleeved with iron sleeves from germany (aparantly very good) just waiting on the eagle rods to arrive to bolt up to my cp's. They are about to deck the block but have to wait till the rods arrive. But as soon as thats done, i'll tell u wat i'm up for.

poid
16-03-2004, 02:58 PM
damn that sounds like it is coming along very nicely! Cant wait to see what its capable of and what the final damage is $ wise

My conversion should be done in 2-3 weeks, fingers crossed :)

CHU85
16-03-2004, 03:16 PM
good luck. Thats wat i said 6 months ago.
Then my hydrolic tensioner went and i thought i blew a big end or rings.
Hence the rebuild. So wats ur final setup?

poid
16-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Final setup is Gt28 turbo, cusomt manifold, exhaust and piping, intercooler, chipped P28 ecu, 650cc injectors (yeh overkill, but they were not much more than smaller ones :) ), walbro fuel pump...yeh thats basically it

Looking to run 10psi, will see how it goes...will be going in for the piping stuff in the next couple of weeks, most of the rest that needs to be done by me is done (basically just need to tune the ECU, and install the injectors and fuel pump)