PDA

View Full Version : DIY:gearbox removal

n/a
13-11-2005, 11:56 PM
hey guys, don't know if this should be in the Civic section or not, but i'm in need of doing a home job of taking a g/box out of an ED civic.

any pointers, do's and don't's, musts, tools etc etc.?

also is it possible to take it out w/o having to take the engine out?

thanks.

fatboyz39
14-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes its possible taking out the gearbox without removing the engine.

Get yourself a good socket set. And also get someone to help you.

michael_antoi
14-11-2005, 08:01 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12789&highlight=shaft+bearing

have a good read of that

i found it really helpful

good luck

n/a
14-11-2005, 11:03 AM
cheers.

wynode
14-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Just take note that with the ED....I think it has like a radius rod at the front.

So that means the lil trick I used to pop the lower ball joint most probably won't work. You will have to hit the lower control arm (near the ball joint) quite a few times in order to pop the ball joint).

Gluck!

ECU-MAN
14-11-2005, 12:54 PM
as fatboy says, you dont need to remove the engine, but you do need to support it with a jack or jack stand.

ED is easy to remove the gearbox. on a good day I can take it out in about an hour.

n/a
19-11-2005, 11:36 PM
ok guys help much appreciated!

i got myself some more help from ben taking the box out for me, but the box wont drop, when taking out a g/box if it doesn't come out the 1st few times could there be a problem inside the box? tried droping the engine, the box itself, hammering it..

the box is in a written off car, so the bay is really bare. any pointers?

oh yea i just realised there wasnt anything supporting the box itself, could that be the problem?

wynode
20-11-2005, 09:14 AM
I believe I spoke to ben about this also and the problem is due to the damage the car had as a result of an acco.

So you will have to cut away/bend anything in the way. or lift it out of the car.

bennjamin
20-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I believe I spoke to ben about this also and the problem is due to the damage the car had as a result of an acco.

So you will have to cut away/bend anything in the way. or lift it out of the car.

Yup - The problem exactly is that the body of the car is pushed in at the front and restricting the movement of the engine + gearbox. All bolts are out of the gearbox except the midshaft - but even due to the front castor arms (which are bent) and bent body the gearbox wont easily come out as per normal ( pull slight to the side then lower down).
We need a engine hoist !

crxzzR
20-11-2005, 04:27 PM
jump on the engine..

n/a
21-11-2005, 11:49 AM
hmm.. im a bit confused though.. isn't it possible to take out a gearbox with the engine mounts still intact? so then why would you need to take out the engine to get the box out??!?!? or is the damage just making so everything is a b*tch?

ben any luck with the hoist? i may have to buy one.. or do you reckon we could have some fun with bolt cutters?:rolleyes:

bennjamin
21-11-2005, 12:51 PM
i think bolt cutters might be an option - DONT buy a hoist just for this...try to rent to borrow :)

PM "MK14EVA (Dyung is his name , lives out at Cabra) (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=771) - i borrowed a hoist off him recently.

n/a
21-11-2005, 02:52 PM
i think bolt cutters might be an option - DONT buy a hoist just for this...try to rent to borrow :)

do you reckon you can go bolt-cutter-happy and cut away at it all?!?!?! i remember it to be a-hell-of-alot of metal to cut.

i may have to go "1/2's" on a 2nd hand one.. same price as renting one..:thumbdwn:

anyone have a hoist i could borrow for a day?!?!