PDA

View Full Version : DC4 Thermo-fan HELP!

honda_teg
14-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm experiencing some overheating troubles with my 95 Teg, its not that bad but when i get stuck in traffic the heat temp guage starts to go three-quarters of the way and when i start driving it goes back to half way. However i noticed that my two thermo fans dont work, i know one is for air conditioning and the other is for cooling the engine, but this fan never works. both never work! should i be worried. i checked the fuse but its not blown. i just wanted to know if any other owners of a 95 tegra themo fan (or fans) constantly work once u start the engine...!

Any help would be great:)

GreekWarrior
14-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Mine doesn't work when i start the engine only when the temp gets to about one third. I think the fan kicks in at about 93.4 degrees?

Three quarters??? maybe you should get it checked, mine has never gone past half way.

ITRBoI
14-11-2005, 10:57 AM
itcould be your thermo stats is that needs replacement....

bennjamin
14-11-2005, 11:04 AM
your thermo fan takes some time to "work" once the coolant has reached its peak temp - for example on my engine idleing for 15 minutes it finally comes on. ( this time ill be shorter ofcourse if driving or sitting in traffic etc)

IMO your thermostat has seized and time for a replacement. If you are keen - follow this DIY below to replace it. EASY !

DIY thermostat change for EG/DC/EK/ED etc (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16767)

good luck dude

tinkerbell
14-11-2005, 11:06 AM
3rd vote for non-functioning thermostat.

FR33K
14-11-2005, 11:34 AM
how can it be his thermostat if the fans arent working at all ??

i had this problem and it was the thermostat switch.

bennjamin
14-11-2005, 11:37 AM

AFAIK if the thermostat for example is seized in the OPEN position - the coolant will hardly ever reach operating tempreture since flowing freely re-routed thru the radiator (except when sitting in traffic ofcourse -heatsink!) so , the thermo fan will unlikely turn on at all.

Might as well replace both tho if DIY'ing :)

wynode
14-11-2005, 12:09 PM
AFAIK if the thermostat for example is seized in the OPEN position - the coolant will hardly ever reach operating tempreture since flowing freely re-routed thru the radiator (except when sitting in traffic ofcourse -heatsink!) so , the thermo fan will unlikely turn on at all.

Might as well replace both tho if DIY'ing :)
but isn't his problem with the car overheating (as opposed to running too cool)?

I'm thinking its either the thermofan itself or the water temp sensor (the one that signals the thermofan to come on).

Do a ECU test to see if you are throwing any codes.

ECU-MAN
14-11-2005, 01:09 PM
if it overheats at traffic lights, then cools when you drive off, Id put my money on the thermo fan temp switch thats mounted on the thermostat housing. could also be a blown fuse for the thermo fan, or even the relay.

tinkerbell
14-11-2005, 01:20 PM

it could also be the thermo fan switch :thumbsup:

Samo
16-11-2005, 08:42 PM
one more to the themo switch ..

the themo switch activates the fan ..
and the onther only go one when u hav tha a/c on ..

if it starts to over heat at the light jus turn the a/c on low so the a/c fan can cool the radiator until u get it fixed

wynode
16-11-2005, 11:24 PM
if it starts to over heat at the light jus turn the a/c on low so the a/c fan can cool the radiator until u get it fixed

No that won't help. It will actually put more load on the AC.

Best thing to combat overheating is to put the AC off, move the temp to the hottest setting and turn the fan on (you might start sweating but at least your motor won't overheat!)